Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Muffin Man
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 31, 2012
I love reading Brad Whittington's works, knowing that the experience is always going to be enjoyable, refreshing, and "smirkishly" humorous. This read was no exception!
Reading the Muffin Man was a delight ... better than my favorite Starbucks' treat, more enjoyable than my best Churchill cigar ... yet the three together was a perfect combination!
Brad is a fabulous storyteller! Shortly after beginning the book, I felt as if I lived in Bolero, Texas and knew Sheriff John Lawson and the rest of the cast of characters. Absorbed deeply in the story I still continuously wondered what lies ahead for Sheriff John. Not to be fooled by his exceptional 'home-spun' manner, Brad writes with a distinct literary style. Characteristic of much of his other writing, he displays a mastery of metaphorical writing and the usage of other rhetorical figures of speech .... I call them "Bradisms".
For anyone who enjoys reminiscing about having lived in SmallTown, USA or chooses to fantasize about what that experience must be like, with a flavor of mystery suspense and excitement added - this is the perfect read!
on April 6, 2013
Excellent story of family, growing together and apart, looking at the impact of manic depressive disorder or bipolar disorder on one family, a community and several states, how it balloons over to impact others. A truly insightful book. May start a little slow as it sets the stage, but stick with it, you'll be glad you did. It will have you laughing, smiling and grief stricken, sometimes all in the same paragraph.
on June 3, 2014
Overall this was an interesting book. Not sure what category it actually falls into. Probably a mystery. The writer developed the characters nicely but then it ended abruptly. Would have liked a little more closure on some of characters.
on March 23, 2012
Whittington combines mystery with drama, stirs in more than a pinch of down home humor, folds in some good, old fashioned love and out comes Muffin Man!

Much of the time there is little clue as to what is coming next for the Sheriff... in fact, his life is as much a mystery for him as for the reader.

Drama happens when interlopers lock themselves in a storeroom with only one door, but aren't there when the law shows up... Men drop off the edge of a cliff and survive... or do they?

Mom adds some comic relief with her helpful horoscope recitations and naivety concerning her lot in life, bless her heart!

Ribs. Texas ribs! Just the words make your mouth water! Disappearing Texas ribs... wait! What?

Love wins in the end. It's a feel good mystery without the gush and mush. Good, old fashioned love conquers all!
on March 22, 2012
Brad Whittington had me dedicated to the final page, from Day 1: Like a momma chimpanzee looking for fleas on her only child. His witty way with words, combined with a perfect mixture of domestic drama and master mystery, kept me turning pages well past 3 a.m., the first night into the book. I love the way the author weaved a mystery within a mystery and found a way to incorporate well-placed humor. Be forewarned not to read on an empty stomach however, because his mouth-watering descriptions of Stella's beef rib dinners to the bamia bi banadoura may distract you a bit. Fans of this author of the Fred trilogy, will not be disappointed in his newest novel and will be left intensely hungering for more. Bring it on!
on October 16, 2012
I had a hard time putting Muffin Man down. Whittington could write a dictionary and make it interesting.

There are a few authors whose books I read and re-read because I enjoy the music of their words. John Steinbeck is the first one who comes to mind. I read a borrowed copy of Muffin Man and as soon as I finished the book I bought my own copy. I don't buy a book unless I know I will read it repeatedly over the years. I have read four of Whittington's books and I own all of them. (My many "one time read" books come from the public library and I thank the library for that invaluable service.)
on March 29, 2012
Brad has done it again ... if you haven't checked out the "Fred" series, you really must do so. You'd be doing yourself a favor.

If you haven't yet read "Fred," then this will lead you right back to want to read more of Whittington. The humor will draw you in, and the characters just will not let you go. You're caught up in the conversation with people that you can relate to, and probably already spend some time with ... they feel like people you already know!

Again ... Brad's humor, characters, and the insertion of a really good story line, along with Rusty's "situation", all add up to page-turning fun. Thanks, Brad! Keep it up; can't wait to read more.
on March 31, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Muffin Man. Has been a long time since I read over a hundred pages in one sitting. Intrigue, suspense, drama, wit, humor, mystery...all rolled into one storyline with believable characters. Muffin Man reads well, and gave me the feeling like i was there, sweating in the Texas heat or about to savor some ribs. Rich in details and well timed poignant moments.

If you were to consider the book as your cards dealt in a Blind Baseball poker hand, you would definitely stay in the hand. In fact, you'd want to play again, not out of greed, but for enjoyment. Will there be a sequel? Let's hope so! Only consequence, now I look for ribs on every restaurant menu. Is Stella's franchising anytime soon? Thanks Brad.
on March 31, 2012
Having read the Fred series I didn't know what to expect with a mystery but this one was excellent. Brad's Texas upbringing shines through in his depiction of small town life. He has done an outstanding job of bringing the characters to life and creating a great story at the same time. Perhaps we can look forward to more tales of Sheriff John Lawson and Bolero County, Texas.
on March 11, 2013
Would be a sure fire five if the first few chapters had more direction...not sure why but it seems like a lot of words go by before the author hits his pace and you can't move to the next screen fast enough BUT wait for it...you won't be sorry.