Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mugged: Racial Demagoguery from the Seventies to Obama
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Back to School

on February 14, 2013
When Ann Coulter writes columns or speaks on television, I normally avoid it. She just has a smug arrogance that is very off-putting. But then when I read almost all her books (and Mugged is no exception), I come away educated, informed, and well armed.
Mugged is a reminder of the bizarre warping of history which has occurred in my lifetime. The Republican party was founded to fight slavery, and was historically the party that fought racism. All the way until 1964. Then suddenly the Democrats became the champions of the civil rights struggle, and that's the way I learned the history, that Democrats were now and always the champions of civil rights. Mugged does a FABULOUS job of devastating that false argument, and explaining how it happened (I'll give you a hint, look who's gotten rich because of the "civil rights movement" since 1964. I recommend it to anyone who has been mystified at the hijacking of the civil rights movement.
Would only be better if it contain more ideas on how to counter this.
6666 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2013
Many people like me have felt the cry of racism was used as a fallacious epithet to obfuscate truth and hide liberal perfidy. Ann Coulter not only shows the hypocrissy of the left but provides irrefutable evidence of falsified data and trumped up stories that were no where close to the actual events; they describe to justify their progressive agendas. Black citizens have been duped by the left into believing all sorts of racial conspiracies, that simply do not exist. Ms Coulter supplies all the facts and actual stories behing these malicious slanders. Also, documented is the complicity of the liberal mainstream media, protecting the progressive agendas.
We remember a time when news organizations tried to present a fair reportage of actual events and were generally held accountable for their efforts. How far have we come, when media covers up crimes of the left and slanders anyone who leans to the right in our society. This book should make any fair minded citizen angry over the duplicity and hypocrissy in the media.
on October 30, 2013
If you know Ann, you know that (1) she's extremely bright; (2) she never puts a book together without abundant footnotes to back what she says, and (3) she fills the spaces between historical story telling with weapons grade snark.

Never a dull moment in this, and I read it in spare moments on on a biz trip. While the subtitle says "from the seventies to Obama", she really goes farther back. Starting from the Eisenhower administration through the sixties and up to today, she traces the unfortunate history of racial demagoguery and the lives it has cost. Both figurative and actual, as she recounts stories of the deaths of police officers and others whose murderers have gone unpunished, and the lives ruined through false claims, thanks to the race demagogues.

If you think Ann's going to pull punches, you just don't know her. Confidential to college students: master the vocabulary Ann uses and get higher scores on your GRE! (Just kidding... sorta)
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2012
If I had any doubts about the need for this book, all I had to do was open up my morning paper and see the syndicated column by Leonard Pitts - headline teased to the front page - about the sighting of a "Don't Re-Nig" bumper sticker.

Pitts, who bravely battles racism every day whether he needs to or not, quotes a woman he doesn't name who says she saw such a bumper sticker, and then uses it to launch an entire column on pervasive Republican racism. No effort to determine if it was true, it's second or third-hand by the time it gets to you the reader, but if it allows to let liberals put the N word in play in the service of Obama's reelection, who cares?

And that's what this book is about: Racial demagoguery, which Ann Coulter has touched upon frequently but focuses on here. Her overarching theme is the deterioration of both race relations and black fortunes in the country starting in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Her premise is threefold:

First: Democrats, after having been the party propping up segregation for decades, cleverly substituted themselves as the party of racial equality after most progress in that field had actually been made by Republicans. Desegregating the military? Eisenhower? Sending troops to desegregate schools in Little Rock? Eisenhower. Civil rights bills in Congress in 1957 and the early 1960s? Supported more by Republicans than by Democrats. Finally pushing through real desegregation across the South? Nixon. Segregationists? All Democrats, including some liberal ones, with a lot more liberals around the country condoning it for partisan reasons: they needed that Solid South on Election Day and in Congress.

Blacks around 1960, she says, were beginning to follow the same trail immigrant groups had, and it was only a question of time before they'd catch up.

Second: The institutionalization of white liberal guilt around the same time, as reflected in news coverage and politics, helped destroy inner cities and the black family and lead to skyrocketing crime rates, as attempts to crack down on black crime were labelled "racist".

Third: The 1994 O.J. Simpson trial derailed the white liberal guilt train, as no one could avoid noticing someone apparently guilty of two savage murders had been acquitted on racial grounds.

And a lot of the most sensational cases of racial demagoguery - unwarranted prosecutions of cops who had shot black criminals, victimization hoaxes and the like, cases she details extensively here - had taken place in the years immediately preceding it. After that, it was like the nation woke up. But this progress was undone by election of Barack Obama. "The postracial president, who was supposed to allow the country to move past race, mau-maued white America from day one of his campaign."

Coulter is careful not to point the finger at black people much, with a few deserved exceptions like Al Sharpton and Alton Maddox, the ultimately-disbarred lawyer in several of the most notorious cases including Tawana Brawley and Howard Beach.

Generally, she's sympathizing with the regular folks in the black community, the primary victims of crimes unleashed by a system that suddenly didn't know how it felt about arresting and jailing black thugs. She notes many blacks sympathized with the forces of law and order - for the same reasons white people do - and stunningly, tended to support Bernie Goetz, the white man whose shooting of four young black muggers on a New York City subway in the 1980s was a cause celebre. Coulter quotes interviews done at the muggers' own housing project with neighbors, people who knew them, some who even said they liked them, but knew they had it coming. Translation: black NYC residents didn't see the muggers as beleaguered fellow people of color. They saw them, properly, as muggers.

She pounds much more heavily on the white liberals who manipulate these issues, whose bad social policies did so much damage, and who are never made to own up to it as a compliant media sweeps under the rug their errors - their rushes to judgment in racially charged cases later shown to be unfounded.

And meanwhile some real hate crimes are committed by people whipped up by a media frenzy.

She lays the blame for the Rodney King riots, which killed more than 50 people nationally, squarely at the feet of the LA television station that cut the initial 13 seconds of the beating tape from the tape it then ran hundreds of times on the air - the part showing King failing to be subdued by not one by two Tasings, a big man continuing to come at police with a frenzy that both they and his own friends attributed to angel dust, which makes people insane, violent and difficult to subdue. Police, jurors and even liberal journalists who saw the complete tape and had it put in context at trial, ended up seeing things the same way the police at the scene did - that this was the least violent and most legal way to subdue a dangerously out of control man. The acquittal of the cops was proper and just.

Like any Ann Coulter book, the writing is half the fun. She doesn't write for dumb people. Just on principle, I like any book where the expression "mau-maued" gets used even once. Every page is like that.

This book couldn't be timelier. Keep it up, Ann. They'll scream that it's all lies, but those of us who read the thousand or so footnotes know it's not. Illegitimi non carborundum!
7272 comments| 294 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2016
I liked this book. Although I was raised a liberal Democrat and still consider myself an Independent politically, I have gotten REALLY sick of the constant chants of "racism" throughout the media and liberal / political society. I keep looking at these situations objectively (Michael Brown "Hands Up, Don't Shoot," Eric Gardner, etc.) and I see criminals resisting arrest and generally acting like rebellious, insouciant cretins!

Then we're supposed to feel really sorry for the criminal (and not the cop), when the criminal's stupid, thoughtless actions of yelling, fighting with the police and resisting arrest result in him or her getting slammed down to the pavement.

Coulter is great at aptly and enjoyably piercing these myths and ferreting out the truth of these situations. It was so refreshing to hear her talk about how ridiculous the OJ Simpson verdict was (even many blacks polled thought he was guilty) as well as scandals like Tawana Brawley pretend-rape hoax (promoted by Al Sharpton) and others. Kudos to Ann Coulter. Now if only the rest of the world would catch on...

Let's focus on REAL problems, not "pretend" racism, where it doesn't even exist.
on September 16, 2013
If you feel you always have to smile at a black person you don't know (but wouldn't for whites), if you think blacks are massively victimized, if you believe the Republicans had a Southern strategy, if you think Democrats brought the first blacks in as governors and representatives, if you believe rapes and murders of whites on black abound, if you believe it is black culture that created words like "ax" for ask, you should read this book because your mind has been mugged by the mainstream media, poor education, and race mongers like Al (King has a dream, I have a scheme) Sharpton.

Coulter has a point of view, and it can come on as strong, but she backs up her points. She keeps the book light by adding liberal (oh my!) doses of humor.

Unlike one reviewer, I did not run across a lot of confusing sentences. There were a couple I needed to reread. Mostly, had to look up words new to me, which were well used once I understood them.
on September 26, 2012
Kindle edition - part way through.

It is a tragic fact that the left has exploited blacks for their own gain, and to our detriment, for a couple decades now.

I have no desire to be placed in a state of endless dependency on a check that is not even enough to live on, in exchange for voting Democrat.

** What bothers me most is they are posing as our "friends" and "protectors" in doing this. It is hard to express the emotion of this deeply insulting trick.

I am not a big fan of Ann Coulter. I do not dislike her either, but she got this one right,

Democrat welfare party can stick your check where the sun does not shine, and I hope all brothers and sisters will join me in trying to be prosperous Americans on our own feet, and not kept in a state of subjection to their (almost all white) will.

You guys, go look up civil war history, it was the Democrat party that was the party of the South and of slavery. I say they have not changed at all, other than to get more sophisticated and to trick us into playing along with them.

Peace
5353 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2012
I am not able to adequately express my profound gratitude to Ann Coulter for writing this book. I'm not sure what I expected when I started the book but discovered that what I already suspected about "progressives" and our media was just the tip of a very ugly iceberg. Coulter talks about events with which I am personally familiar.

I remember the southern Democrats filibustering any sort of civil rights bill and a great many of the other examples.

She also cites her sources.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that would like to know more about the civil rights struggle and the moral and financial "tail spin" that we seem to be in right now!
on February 3, 2014
I've lived through a lot of the history that Ann puts together in this book.
I can't tell you how many times I told myself "I remember that" as I read.
The thing is...I couldn't readily recall everything and certainly lacked a lot of the
background and detail that she put together in such an easy read.
NOW my memory bank has been refreshed with FACTS, not propaganda.
Great read...recommend it highly.
on February 18, 2013
I dare you to drop everything you think you know about race and read this book. Page after page will have you wondering why only Ann has the courage to recite facts that should be common knowledge. And don't forget a heavy dose ago wicked wit.