Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 78 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 106 reviews
on February 2, 2017
Reading this story took me back to a time when I was just a teen-ager huddled with friends back in '64' while listening to Liston/Ali 1. For me at that time, it was just magical to witness this rising phenomenal human being. He Most certainly was my most unforgettable person in my life up to this moment. I'm really glad to have been alive during his time here and I appreciated the lessons learned from him! Great work (research & all), Mr Hauser. Calvin Ray White
on November 29, 2015
This was a superb book. Muhammad Ali was one of my heroes growing up and I enjoyed learning more about him. I loved the style, the oral history getting interviews from people in his life. I wished there were more details on things like how he trained or his lifestyle. However, this book is great for anyone that wants a history of boxing, a history of America in the 1960s and 70's, and a story of one of the great American icons from the 60's and 70's.
on October 21, 2014
this was a great book; liked the style hauser used to relay the story of ali; i grew up in my early adult life wanting anyone ali fought to beat him bad to hopefully shut his big mouth; he was a self promoting fighter who was obnoxious how he riduculed many of the fighter he was scheduled to fight but reading this book make me rethink so of my attitudes towards ali; he was not perfect & some of my early criticisms still hold merit but there was a lot about the man i did not know & i have come to respect him more after reading this book; book covers his fights well but also covers his politics, religion, opposition to vietnam war etc; i recomend this book highly to anyone who wants to know what the 60 & 70's were all about
on June 17, 2013
Hauser used a different approach in writing this book, in that Ali story is directly told by others in chronological order. This makes the book a faster read and helps the reader draw their own conclusions about Ali, by hearing difference opinions and different versions of some of the same events. This was a unique approach. I particular enjoyed the opinions given about whether Ali in his prime would have won a fight between Tyson in his prime. I also enjoyed reading about Ali's giving nature that most of the public is unaware of.
on February 27, 2017
Excellent and innovative recounting of his life. It captures the context of the era while doing justice to such a complex persona. Highly suggested both to learn about Ali and as a biography in general.
on March 29, 2014
A piece of history from multiple of perspectives. The author placed comments and stories told by those close to Ali ... people who lived next to him, fighters, friends, family, business acquaintances, wives, etc. You get their perspective, too.

With this information inserted after a subject is discussed, it first throws you off balance until you realize that everybody weighs in on the subject before moving on to the next subject or area of Ali's life.

This book covers Ali's life more thoroughly than any other publication I have read. From the people I have spoken to, this is the most accurate and concise writing to cover Ali's life. The book is lengthy, but has a lot of information for those who have the interest. For boxing fans, this book a must have.

This book is Scott Ayler Approved.
on January 7, 2017
My husband read it he got so emotional while reading it that he choked up
on April 25, 2017
Great read at a great amazon price- published many years ago -love to reread it on ocassion
on July 8, 2016
An amazing book from start to finish about Alis life. The best ali biography there is with great pictures of him through out his entire life starting from his start of boxing in the Olympics to his famous fights with List on Fraizer and Foreman. When reading this book you really get a sense of how things were back then and what everyone's experiences were with certain times in Ali's life when meeting him
on July 5, 2016
I was impressed by the way that the author interviewed so many different people and told the various stories about the same event from 3, 4 or even 5 different people. It seemed to me to be an honest portrayal of a man who was one of the giants of our time. The stories ranged from funny to sad to uplifting.