Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Munchkin White Hot Safety Spoons 4 Ct
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Price:$3.82+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on April 7, 2010
I loved the "safety feature" these spoons offered by turning white when the baby food is too hot. Like most moms, I microwave the baby's frozen foods to warm them up and want to be careful about getting things the right temperature.

Unfortunately, the spoons stained after only one use with a colored food. I used a spoon to serve my baby carrots -- plain mashed carrots -- and the spoon was permanently stained orange after that. It doesn't detract from the spoons' heat safety feature, of course, but it does make the spoons look kind of cheap and gross.

Also, it might be my imagination, but it seems like the spoons are not equally sensitive to heat. Some of the spoons seemed to turn white when the food is just a little too warm and others seemed to turn white only when the food was scorching hot. I still find myself touching each spoonful of food to my own lip before giving it to the baby.
on June 23, 2010
I contacted the manufacturer because I wanted to know if these spoons are BPA and phthalate free, and their reply was, "The Munchkin White Hot Safety Spoons are not 100% BPA free yet; they are Phthalate free." That's not good enough. Don't buy these spoons.
33 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2010
I purchased these spoons and the plastic Nuby spoons and these are far superior. Both have the feature that changes color if the food is too hot, but I don't really use that because I'm just not going to put something in my baby's mouth that has been heated without testing it myself first. The thing that sets these apart is the shape of the actual bowl of the spoon. It is very shallow which allows my little guy to learn to get all of the food off of the spoon with each bite. The others had a bowl that was way to deep and made it hard to get any food from the spoon into his mouth. The shape of the tip of the spoon is also perfect for getting the last little bit of food out of a small crevice in the container. It fits perfectly in his mouth and the handle is comfortable for me to hold. I also really like that the spoon is wrapped so that it isn't just metal when the baby bites down. I have been using these spoons for over a month now and haven't had any issues at all with staining. I just put them in the silverware rack in my dishwasher and they come out good as new every time. They are great!
on March 24, 2016
I love these spoons. I purchased them, and then repurchased them because they worked so well for baby and me! They are easy to clean, do not hold odors, are a good size, come in pleasant colors, and are comfortable to hold. They fit well in baby's little mouth, but also hold a good amount of food. Some people complained they were too small, or flat, but honestly, it works perfectly for us, and babies do not need a large amount of food served in one bite. I never had issues with my purees dripping off the spoon, in fact, the silicone material actually holds the food on well. I definitely did not have a problem with their size.
I don't find the white hot safety feature to be 100% necessary, as I prefer to taste the baby's food myself (to check for uneven heating, etc) but it does work. It doesn't seem to work as well if you "test" it in hot water...the safety feature reacts best to actual food.
One more thing--I find them easier to clean and sterilize because they are made from silicone and metal, not plastic. Also, the plastic spoons tend to get chewed up and indented (which can get sharp) once the baby develops teeth. However, the material of these spoons will be able to withstand teeth.
All in all, I really like these spoons. I have 2 packs of them and use them daily. They have held up great to daily use and are a good value. I highly recommend these.
on December 20, 2015
Great set of spoons! The handles are a bit flimsy (don't look for high quality steel here), but it's not like you will be doing serious mixing with these. The dips in the spoons are pretty shallow, which is excellent for a baby spoon as our baby isn't very proficient at eating cleanly anyway. The rubber is thick and without seams which might hurt a baby's mouth. Our little one is in the middle of teething, and I think these spoons are kinder on his gums and new teeth than a metal spoon would ever be.

I don't have much to say about the heat-sensing mechanic. It does work (at least they turn white when I'm washing them in hot water). However, I don't heat my baby food up before serving, and even if I did, the food tends to coat the colored part of the spoon so thoroughly that I'm not sure I'd notice a color change in any case. So if you are getting these just for that aspect, I'm not sure whether it would end up being a useful feature or not.

Overall, I really like these and have found that they work great for a baby without teeth or just getting his first chompers in. I'd recommend these for any new mom!
on February 28, 2013
The spoon tip turns white if the food could be described as anything warmer than luke warm. For beginner babies that is an appropriate temperature. However, because the spoon is so sensitive, we ended up feeling it with our hands every time anyway.
on August 4, 2016
These munchkin spoons are really good. I like them because they have a nice soft tip and they are gentle on my babies gums. It's also nice that they turn white when the food is too hot for your babies mouth.

I got these as an ad on item on Amazon, they are a lot cheaper when you get them on Amazon then if you buy them and the store. They were about $2 cheaper. I like that they have multiple different colors you get yellow pink green and blue.

I would definitely buy these spoons again, I am actually probably going to order another pack of them the next time I make a big enough order to do at ons.

I paid full price for the spoons.
review image review image
on July 24, 2016
What i loved the most about these spoons was that they were able to change color to let me know when the food was to hot. Normally i would feel the food myself to determine the temperature but having these spoons allowed me to do this in less steps. They are very durable, easy top use, convenient, colorful, and just the right size for my baby. They do not break easy and are dishwasher safe which in my house is a must.
on May 14, 2016
I got these to stir my gravy pots, as I needed some smaller spoons that would not scratch my pots.. The color does turn, indicating that the mixture is hot, but that was not my concern. The spoons are smaller than I wanted, but would be perfect for a baby's mouth. If you are looking for a heat indicating spoon, these will work for you. If you are looking for small stirring spoons, as I was, these will work as well, just do not try to serve with them.
on August 3, 2016
Although i love these because they are perfect size and soft on baby's gums, these spoons stain easily. After feeding my baby carrots with the blue one, the orange color of the carrot never washed off even after various washes and sterilization. I tried beets with the pink one and it also stained red. Still giving it five stars though because the hot indicator is genius