Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Train Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 29, 2014
I really like mysteries that aren't gory with a little PG romance thrown in. This book fits that description but the bible references seemed forced and over done. I think it would be ok here and there like "Thank God I'm ok" but it was over the top and distracting. I do like the characters and wished there was more character development for the supporting characters, which helps with trying to figure out the who didn't. Overall it was light easy going reading, which I like to unwind with. I am considering buying the next book in the series but hope that the bible and God references are toned down.
on April 13, 2012
This is the perfect bedtime book: light and enjoyable! It kept me up nightly a little later than I would have hoped, though, because it was hard to put down! The author's style has a nice flow, and I just bought 2 more of her books.
on May 19, 2013
This mystery begins with Trish shopping in the grocery store and as she reaches for milk, finds a dead body with a knife in the back. Although she could have somewhat of a mild motive -
it's not sufficient to prompt murder. The local law authorities question her anyway - so much that she has to solve the murder herself. Nice family theme, too. She's married to a man who has three children from a previous marriage, and one of their own. Interesting dynamics among the family members.
The ending is a surprise, and the step-daughter who has typical teenage feelings toward are step-mother, finally learns how much she is loved. Not my favorite mystery - but OK.
on May 12, 2014
Well written with humor. Clever and fast paced. A good cozy read with excellent characterization. Worth the price of "free" but would buy another book from this author
on November 1, 2013
What shall I say? This is a good story, sweet and chaste you might say. The plot is clever, and interesting enough to keep you involved in the storyline. The characters are well rounded and realistic. Its a good story for when you're waiting for something, like a bus or at the doctors, its an enjoyable read. It's not exactly gory or oversexed, which is quite a refreshing change. Its something I could imagine Agatha Christie might have written had she been born and raised in middle america as a devout christian.
on July 18, 2014
Loved the characters, great storyline, flowed very well. I came back to this after starting the second book because another's review kept sticking in my head. Yes, God and prayer are present in the storylines, but in a very real, everyday, humorous way. It adds, not distracts and reminds me of when I quickly say something to God, myself. This was a fun story and now I'm going back to reading the second book.
on October 6, 2012
A very enjoyable murder mystery. Those of us who shop for our families can relate to the unexpected "find" in the milk case at the grocery store! The storyline flowed nicely and the characters seemed real. The reviewer that related that the biblical and/or Christian references in the book might reflect some "hidden agenda"....please. No way. No more than Agatha Raisin meeting at the parsonage to discuss something with the pastor's wife. All flowed well. The ending was a surprise and I would definitely read more stories by Candice Prentice.
on January 11, 2014
Wasn't sure about the book at first but got pulled in and loved the characters and story. Can't wait to read the rest of the series.
on April 20, 2013
The publisher identifies itself as the purveyor of Christian works. This might attract some readers and repel others when what they want is a mystery story. I've read a fair number of cozy's they have put out by a variety of authors. Some books are preachy, others don't preach but emphasize the religious orientation in such a way as to enmesh the reader in it rather than in the mystery. Others, like this book, for the most part use the religious affiliation in limited fashion as one might make mention of the leading character unfailingly having a cocktail or two before dinner, sleeping in the nude or having her walls covered with paintings by Picasso, Matisse and Braque. These are, after all, only identifying aspects of characters who are interacting in the book; not a major consideration. Obviously, each of us has his own attitude towards these matters which it is wise to use as a yardstick for reading just as one would the fact that there is a good deal of brutality, described in detail.
My own assessment of this book is that the religious element plays a role of minor significance, although it is made clear that the heroine, her family and close friends are all practising Christians. This is so subjective a matter that I don't venture a recommendation one way or the other.
As the title implies, our heroine, who is employed in her husbands business, finds a body in a cooling unit of the local supermarket. There is some reason for the Sheriff to suspect that she has a motive to wish to see him dead. This motivates her to probe the case to see whether she can find a way to clear herself of all possibility of being a suspect. While this is going on, the reader is also being involved in the heroines family problems, particularly her relationship to the husband and her female stepchild from the husband's earlier marriage.
This is not as well organized nor interesting as some of her others, but is sufficiently entertaining to warrant investing the minimal cost to purchase it in return for sharing the burdens of being a suspect, trying to help solve the mystery, and handle a teen-age daughter.
It is one of the better Christian mysteries though, to me, not as good as some others by the author. It serves pretty well for those periods when you need something light which will not keep you up later than you like but still entertain when you have the time to sit down for a read you know will be interrupted.
on February 3, 2017
Too long and characters were not believable. I kept reading hoping that the mystery wasn't as hackneyed as it seemed. Alas, my fear was confirmed.