Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 2, 2013
I found myself liking this book in spite of itself, mostly because of a good pace and some nice character development. However, the book is seriously flawed by unbelievable behavior on the part of the police officers.

Throughout the first third of the novel, the police consistently violate the constitutional rights of the main character, against whom they have no evidence. Based on the supposition that the husband is the guilty party ninety percent of the time when a wife is killed, the police department mounts a campaign to get the suspect to confess by ruining his life -- taking actions such as freezing his bank accounts and disabling his bus pass, all without warrants. During this part of the book, the "suspect" is never charged with anything related to the murder, yet the police manage to get him fired from his job and destitute. Still, he never even consults a lawyer. I found it maddening that the author was so careless about basic rights known to virtually all Americans and about normal human behavior when confronted with circumstances that involve the criminal justice system.

It became impossible for me to warm to the police characters as a result. While I'm sure that there are some homicide investigators who just want to charge someone -- anyone -- and move on, I don't believe most in this country are as clueless and gullible as these characters, nor do I believe that in most jursidictions the police can actually take such actions without warrants. That's too bad, because otherwise the book had some positive aspects.
99 comments| 269 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2014
As I started this book, I thought I was really going to enjoy it but it seems to veer off course a few times which distracted & irritated me. The constant flirting (not reciprocated) between Det. Marco & Abe got a bit tiresome. And I don't like mysteries in which the police begin with the premise that the spouse did it & look at nothing or no one else. And to deliberately ruin Jake Ryder personally& financially because someone in authority ordered it made it apparent Marco & Broooks don't think for themselves. But for the investigative work of the suspect to prove another guilty, Jake would have apparently been railroaded to life in prison for a crime he didn't commit. Less time spent dwelling on Marco' s great looks & Peyton' s curly hair would you have been nice too. Won't be reading any more books in this series.
22 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2015
Before I downloaded this book, I read the reviews about poor police procedure and thought, oh, OK, I can handle a little cop screw up...but OMG. No. I couldn't even finish reading it past the third chapter. I have no idea how this book got 4 and 5 star reviews or how this is a series. The main characters's rights were violated so massively and blatantly I could not continue reading. I just couldn't see how it could possibly get any better. *spoiler now (sort of, first 3 chapters summed up)* So, the guy's pregnant wife dies. He did not know she was expecting. Turns out she has either committed suicide (unlikely) or was murdered. The police are called. The police immediately assume the husband did it. There is no evidence, there is no history, there is basically NO reason for them to suspect the husband other than the statistic that often the husband has done it. They come to his home to question him, essentially accuse him of killing her, search his home (because he has no clue what is going on and says it's fine if they look around). Once he figures out they're accusing him of killing his wife 2 days after her death, he gets upset and kicks them out. The cops remove evidence from the home. There was no warrant. Then they say he obviously has anger issues because of his reaction to the situation. Oh, OK. That's reasonable. Or not. If it had ended there, I could have gotten over it. But then! Following that incident, they proceed to freeze his bank accounts and other assets and get him fired from his job. They keep saying they need for him to crack and confess before he lawyers up. The final straw for me was when the officer made a note to revoke his bus pass. Still no warrants, still no arrest, nothing, not even a "don't leave town". If you're going to write a police procedural, please, please, brush up on police procedure. This is far beyond "oops, missed that". I'd get my cop friends to read it, but they'd all probably die of heart attacks at what the fictional cops were doing.
on July 26, 2016
Once again, ML Hamilton has proven herself as an author. I love her “World of Samar” series and was interested to see how well she changed genres.

The story had me from the get-go. When Jake Ryder’s wife is murdered he becomes the prime suspect. He sets out to prove he didn’t do it. Meanwhile, the detectives are doing everything they can to trigger a confession.

I will admit that I was confident of who the killer was early on. However, that did not detract from the journey to uncover the truth. In the end, the plot twists were quite unexpected. I found myself reading into the wee hours of the morning. I just couldn’t find a good stopping place.

The author did a phenomenal job capturing Jake’s emotion. Part of the reason she succeeds in evoking the response is her proficient flashbacks into Jake and Zoe’s life. You believe him when he says he loves her. His pain is palpable, especially as heartrending secrets are revealed. As the noose is tightened, you can’t help but feel sorry for him.

The detectives, Peyton and Marco are likable and believable. They competently work through the case to uncover the truth. Though they have their minds made up, they are never careless in their efforts.

I appreciated that the violence was not gratuitous or gory. Additionally, the language was appropriate to the circumstances but was not offensive.

Overall this was a quick, enjoyable read. I look forward to exploring Peyton’s character further in book #2.
on July 7, 2016
This book caught my attention from the first page. The plot was interesting, and the characters for the most part were likable. And the unlikable ones were well described. A few plot twists and of course some really hard to believe events, but I was so invested in what was going to happen to poor Jake, I could not stop reading. There were a few parts that I felt had a lot of needless descriptions that added nothing to the plot but overall a good read. I will probably read the next book in the series to see if it's as good.
on February 16, 2017
I'm surprised by some of the negative reviews. I found this story to be gripping and finished it in two days.

The characters were well fleshed out. There was a nice mix of character types and each is described in good detail.

Excellent plot. The pace is fast and keeps you reading. However, the police behavior was BAD. I am assuming they can't actually freeze a suspect's accounts and get him fired like these two did.

I would recommend this book highly. There were some plot twists, but I did guess who and why very very early on. Its still engrossing watching the story develop.
on June 28, 2016
"Brilliant" is the first word that comes to mind to describe this work. As a murder mystery buff, I'm used to analyzing each case from the viewpoint of the cop. The opposite I true for this work. Hamilton does well to grip the reader from page one and sympathize with the suspect. Truly, this work reminds us that a suspect is, or SHOULD be, innocent until proven guilty.
on April 7, 2015
Even with a medical laboratory background I had a hard time figuring out this who dun it mystery.m I really enjoyed it and I think the author did a great job introducing readers to the characters in the series without overdoing that aspect of the book like I have seen in many other books of this type. I would highly recommend it.
on October 14, 2015
I got this book free from Amazon so I feel duty bound to review it. Never turn down a bargain. First, since i know SF fairly well. I was happy to see this title and I knew it was going to be good. If you live in SF you will know the area from which the book received its title. So it is a story of how a man's wife dies while he is away at work. Of course the blame and charge are directed at the spouse. The rest of the book is the spouse defending himself at the same time investigating the murder of his wife. Wait until you see who did it and all of the circumstances that were surrounding the murder, good read, It will carry you quickly through the story.
on March 26, 2015
A loving couple is caught up in a tragic situation when Zoe's dad has a stroke. Then complications arise with Zoe, and Jake unaware of her condition, contributes it to exhaustion and stress, until he finds her passed out on the floor.

A heartfelt story bringing fear, suspense, ruthless individuals, and murder.