Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Murder Under Cover: A Bibliophile Mystery
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on October 17, 2013
I seem to be reading this series in reverse order since the last book I reviewed is the one that comes after this one. However, it didn't really spoil anything for me, and I liked this one better. "Murder Under Cover" by Kate Carlisle finds Brooklyn Wainwright in possession of an antique copy of the "Kama Sutra" and it is an exquisite copy, decorated with gems and gold. Brooklyn must restore this book to its former beauty for the owner.

When the author puts Brooklyn in her bookbinding workroom, Brooklyn is very professional and knowledgeable about what she does and loves best. She takes extreme care and caution with the books that are entrusted to her care. It's when she is with boyfriend, Derek Stone, British security man, that she falls into a puddle of mush. It's as if she can't believe that he could possibly be her boyfriend, much less human. Brooklyn is an adult in her professional life, but with Derek she seems about thirteen.

Despite being lovestruck, Brooklyn is in danger in this fourth addition to the Bibliophile Mystery Series and her friend, Robin, nearly is killed in her own apartment which is the scene of a grisly murder. Brooklyn's parents are in this book and her mother is very funny with her so-called spells and made up songs and her sage-burning rituals that she does to try to help Robin.

All in all, it's a cute story and it is enjoyable to learn how a book is taken apart piece by piece, repaired and put back together again. Brooklyn and Derek and other family members have their hands full with murders and attempted murders in this mystery that I enjoyed.
on July 17, 2011
I am grateful I finally picked up the first Carlisle book this spring. I've read them all now, and wait eagerly for the next one, due out in February. The style is enjoyable, in that there is a story line that is a solid mystery in all the books so far, plus an added building of several relationships. What I enjoy is a series with the protagonist being consistent, bringing in other friends and characters, but staying with that initial person, to see them grow and follow them through as fascinating times as Brooklyn Wainwright. She is a terrific new character on the horizon - I hope to read about her for many years to come. Hint: Don't let the "bookbinder" theme scare you away, these are exciting, up to date, and hot books with excellent mysteries to solve.
on May 26, 2011
Really liked this book - lots of intrigue and action. Derek is living with Brooklyn. One night Robin appears at Brooklyn's flat and is covered in blood. It appears, that Robin's new acquaintance Alex has been shot to death while in bed with Robin. Derek and Brooklyn set out in San Francisco to find the killer - they keep coming upon more dead bodies. Robin had returned from India with a Kama Sutra for Brooklyn to restore and appaise. This book figures into the mystery as well.
on March 20, 2016
First and foremost I must offer my apologies to Kate Carlise..I started the Brooklyn Wainwright, Bibliophile series back in 2010, then became a lapsed reader for no other reason than so many books to read, so little time!! But I have returned with a new love and appreciation for the this multi layered and oh so appealing series with a vengeance, so to speak, and it has less to do with the latest challenge of restoring and old version of the Kama Sutra than the continuing development of the wonderful relationships that have been established in books #1-3. The friends, the neighbors, the parents and very much the relationship between Brooklyn and Derek Stone, secret agent man and debonair if I do say so myself. The tentacles that are brought forth with some rather problematic family connections, good, bad, and whatever, start with a ransacked apt/ a best friend who is compromised by what turns out to be a one night stand, and we are off to the races. Yes indeed. I say, if you have not been introduced to this series, get thee to the first , Homicide in Hardcover and commit to a relationship that will only continue to build upon the appreciation of bookbinding and all the underpinnings of the journey of discovery it takes you from there. You won't I assure you be disappointed.
on November 3, 2015
Derek has officially moved to San Francisco and is staying with Brooklyn when he isn't traveling for work while looking for a house. Robin has returned from India visiting her mother bearing gifts. Her mother's friend sends a book home with Robin for Brooklyn to restore, a very old Kama Sutra. Robin has met a hot man upon her return and he winds up murdered in her bed. Soon she moves in too and crazy things ensue. Brooklyn of course tries to solve the case with her old cop friends Lee and Jagomar. Minka makes an appearance of course as a psycho comic relief. I had figured out the what but not quite how the pieces fit together until towards the end. REally liked the personal progress too
on March 16, 2016
Great series of books. Good, strong characters that carry from book to book. Story lines and mysteries are different each time. No graphic sex, just tasteful relationships. I am reading the entire series.
on June 2, 2011
I wish I could give more stars for this book, but I can't. It's a shame too because I really like this series. The start of this book should have been warning enough. Brooklyn answers the door, and her best friend Robin takes one look at her and screams that she knows that she's had sex. Forgive me for what I'm about to say, but... OMFG...Really??? I don't think so. This was not the way for the writer to grab my attention.

This book feels more like a romance than a mystery. While there is a murder to solve, there is a definite shift to a more romance-like vibe. It's hard to explain without getting into it too much, so I won't. Let's just say I'm getting a "cutesy" vibe off this book, and I don't tend to like reading cutesy stories.

Furthermore, the main protagonist, Brooklyn, is becoming a Mary Sue. She can do no wrong, or at least that's the vibe I got from reading it. In this book, her best friend is a murder suspect. Okay, I get that Brooklyn is upset at this. Yes, I understand that Brooklyn will want to get hip deep into this investigation. I'm alright with that. I can understand that. What I don't like is this "princess" attitude coming from her. It can clearly be witnessed when she's talking to the police (although there are other instances of it in the book). Nobody calls her on this? Ok... so if Brooklyn has a problem, then obviously the police must be at fault. No, Brooklyn isn't out of line; it's them. Her attitude just seemed so out of character that I started to become disgusted with this book, so it was very hard for me to keep reading to the end. But I did.

Brooklyn is a smart and spunky woman. She gets into trouble but will usually do the smart thing, unlike other women detectives that I have read who make insanely stupid decisions but somehow manage to best the bad guy. That's one of the big reasons why I like this series. I wish I had never read this book. I was that disappointed. I just hope the author takes a look at books 1-3 and gets that vibe back because if this is the direction the series is going to go, then I'm done.
on May 29, 2015
it was fund - i really like kate carlisle's writing and am never disapointed reading any of her books. good plot, very good characters, and it was a very pleasant read. If you want to know more, READ IT!
on November 27, 2014
Brooklyn is given an old copy of the Kama Sutra to bring back to its former glory. She is delighted to work on it but then people start getting killed and it appears to be connected to the book. A mystery set in San Francisco is always a delight and this was a particularly good one.
on October 23, 2014
Love, love everything about this series. Ms Carlisle is a very good writer and I can identify with her heroine. I'm looking forward to the next book. I even wrote her an "attaboy", which I've never done before. And she responded!