Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 67 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 87 reviews
on August 25, 2015
This movie is a classic - another favorite. The music is ABBA - makes me smile and get up and dance. The movie actually has a plot which makes sense - I watch it a few times a year. LOVE IT. There is sadness in this movie as well, though. But that's life - sometimes you laugh, sometimes you cry. The ending is cute - sometimes I picture myself doing the same thing (yelling out the window) when we move from our current address. Toni Colette and Rachel Griffiths are two of my favorite actresses.
on January 10, 2016
The Ugly Duckling makes it big and comes of age in this tender film about struggling to be in the "in crowd" and achieve her dreams. In the end, Muriel realizes the superficial quality of her competitors and apppreciates that real friendship is the best prize of all. A story that it sad and funny at the same time.
on October 8, 2012
I caught this movie on TV randomly. I fell in love with it. It starts off as a weird comedy/coming of age movie where the family is pretty weird and kind of crazy. It stays funny throughout just via quirky moments, but actually becomes quite sad as Muriel matures and grows into who she will be. The scene in the wedding shop where she kind of breaks down was devastating to me. If you've ever felt not good enough you'll probably relate. I think it stays true to learning who you are, and accepting you for you. Overall an interesting journey, really fun, and still has a message of making it through hard times; and staying true to who you are - even if you've changed and don't know it. Be prepared to be sad, not all a comedy though, just a warning (I was NOT prepared).
on November 17, 2011
I ordered the 2011 version thinking the later release would be enhanced for widescreen TVs, but the dvd I got was the version that is not enhanced so the picture is in a small rectangle in the middle of my TV. Very disappointing. I don't know if I got the wrong version as there is no marking on the box to indicate whether it is the 2011 release or an earlier one. If someone has the 2011 release, and a widescreen TV, please note in a review if the picture plays as it should. If it does, sell it to me! I loved this movie the first time I saw it, and still have the VHS in full screen. Would love to update to widescreen dvd.
66 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2016
Great movie! The main character is funny, sad, and then redeemed. A great movie of true friendship too. DVD works good in player and it arrived in great time.
on May 5, 2016
One of my favorite movies. Funny, and sad, and so real. So glad Toni Colette did this early in her career - she is such a talent. And Abba? Who doesn't like an Abba soundtrack?
on December 15, 2013
I really disagree with the comments on the front cover of this movie. It is funny but it also is sad. The sad part about this movie is that there are people out in the real world like this. And it shows how verbal abuse is just as damaging or worst than physical abuse. And it shows how people shouldn't worry about what other people think of them and just be the self.
on November 9, 2015
This movie is a classic Toni Collette. I enjoy her work. The story is basically sad but you root for Muriel. I think everyone who enjoys Toni should see this. I'm glad I added this movie to my collection.
Absolutely love this movie! Any movie with Abba music is pretty great.
on May 19, 2017
THE MOVIE FEATURES ABBA'S DANCING QUEEN!