Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Music For The Masses [Digital Version]
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on January 26, 2012
What a great album. I had this tape back in Jr. High. Yes I said tape, believe it or not there was a time when there was no CD' or MP3s. I use to listen to the entire album over and over. I just purchased the MP3 album and will do the same thing. If your a depeche mode fan or like the "new wave" era music, check it out.
on September 21, 2010
Music to soothe the soul and bring back memories. This is some of Depeche Mode's greatest lyrics and music. It is worth your time to listen to this music. You just might like it.
on June 4, 2014
This is one of my favorite albums by Depeche Mode. This one ranks up there with Violator! It not only has some thought-provoking lyrics to many of the mood-stirring songs, but it also has some impressive instrumental pieces. I was stunningly surprised by their version of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. That is no easy composition to master, but they managed it flawlessly!
on April 11, 2013
really, really good album if you are new to Depeche mode and you are looking for a consistent album that brilliantly captures Depeche mode's distinct pop new wave sound this is the record for you solid record start to finish.
on July 17, 2012
I thought that I had this on CD but I couldn't find it. When I saw it on sale I immediately bought it! It has some of my favorite songs, Never Let Me Down, The Things You Said, Strangelove, Sacred, Little 15, Behind The Wheel, Nothing, Pimpf, Pleasure Little Treasure, Route 66. I'm listening to it as I write this review! Their mix of melancholy lyrics and electronic/dance music just goes so well! Even the instrumental tracks are great! (PIMPF, Agent Orange, Stjarna) I always like an eclectic mix for my MP3 player, so I usually have a lot of DM on it! I have to stop now so I can do some more shopping!
on January 12, 2016
Music For the Masses by Depeche Mode contains some haunting and novel tunes within this collection that consist of; Never Let Me Down, Strange Love, Little 15, Behind The Wheel, To Have and To Hold, and more. What I like about Depeche Mode’s music is, as with the Pet Shop Boys, many of their songs can actually be muses for stories and their music is unique (I would definitely check out the music collaboration if Depeche Mode and the Pet Shop Boys ever created a song and/or songs jointly). Anyhow, Music For the Masses by Depeche Mode is also perfect if you like 80’s and/or 90’s indie alternative rock music.
on March 20, 2016
Fantastic. To me this marked a period when Depeche Mode started expanding themselves. I can still remember listening to this back when it was new and being shocked to hear...guitars? Iconic DM songs, and solid album tracks. Can't go wrong.
on February 21, 2014
Songs blend into each other on this album, but these MP3s all have a pause in between that kind of kill the continuity. Sound is great, but each song ends/starts so abruptly, makes it kind of hard to listen to.
on September 16, 2006
As a huge Depeche Mode fan this wasn't honestly an initial favorite. I found the "bonus" tracks weighed down the material and that some of the songs were more self-indulgent than the album's title suggested. But that doesn't mean that there was not any selling points and there are some real classics in here. Or maybe it's because there's nothing like "Some Great Reward" or "Black Celebration", even "Violator" after it.

But "Music for the Masses" is a great creative point and it's great how this got them so big. And the music really is as ambitious as the title. "Never Let Me Down Again" sets the tone for the record, first with guitars and into its keyboard hooks and a more moody chorus, even if some lyrics are a bit WTF ("Promise me I'm as safe as houses/As long as I remember who's wearing the trousers" - and Gore is usually tops at this sort of thing). But the rest of the song more than makes up for it. I always wish they had used the Split Mix over the original. I suggest you look for it if you don't have it yet.

"Strangelove" is the album's real shining star, though. It has a more reflective and personal feel like the rest of the album. Yet it is also very moving. Not as immediately catchy as some of the poppier earlier stuff. "Behind the Wheel" shows the group's continued love for industrial that began with "Construction Time Again." It is as moving as the driving title and builds up quite nicely. It seems quirky at first but is also an accessible moment of the album.

But the three singles, great as they are, aren't the only thunder on the album. "The Things You Said," sung by Gore, is just gorgeous and warrants repeat listens. I like the double-tracked vocals in the chorus, too. "To Have and to Hold" is a black sheep of the album. At first I couldn't get into it because of the distraction of that Russian broadcast thing, but it got better as I heard it. It is a very deep track that specifically longs for love. The thing about this one as opposed to most DM songs is that instead of following a verse/chorus format, it is just one long verse. There is music ascending and descending from the point but that verse is the meat of the song. Deftones did the song some real justice about a decade later. "Pimpf" shows that the choral samples didn't end with the last album and it continued at times. I can see why they opened with the track even if it was the closer on the inital album.

"Sacred" is where Martin puts religion more into songs and you hear Dave and him singing together on the chorus, which usually works quite well. Not one of the best songs here but definitely worthy of listens. I also enjoy the more standard album track "Nothing," which is translated better in its live versions. A simple message but a nice track to listen to during the middling feelings of your day. But where a song like "Something to Do" is more lively, this is more like a bored goth wallowing in the moment.

I'm still not too fond of "Little 15" which while it may be some grand epic has always bored me. Apparently the guys aren't fond of it either and haven't performed it live. "I Want You Now" just doesn't do it for me, even after getting over the whole breathing/double entendre background. Some moments are just hard to embrace. At least it's not the bulk of the album.

The "bonus tracks" aren't really that special, honestly. "Pleasure, Little Treasure" isn't listed as its actual Glitter Mix and honestly the regular version was better. It's still decent here though. "Agent Orange" is an amazing example of their experimenting.

I personally recommend many of their albums over this one, but it is still quality material. Some fans like it considerably more than I, but I suggest to maybe check others out first. Mid-late '80's' greatest synth act, although it doesn't properly fit a true label.
on February 2, 2013
This is a great example of musican who have been able to transend time and the all the other crap in the music industry. If this is missing from your collection, add it today.