- Series: Music Pro Guides
- Paperback: 368 pages
- Publisher: Hal Leonard Books (August 1, 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1480369527
- ISBN-13: 978-1480369528
- Product Dimensions: 8 x 0.8 x 10 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.6 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (120 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #56,418 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Music Marketing for the DIY Musician: Creating and Executing a Plan of Attack on a Low Budget (Music Pro Guides) Paperback – August 1, 2014
|New from||Used from|
Featured business titles
Sponsored by McGraw-Hill Learn more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Of course there are any number of self help books out there but if you are really serious about selling your music (and lest we forget making the music, the fun bit, is no real problem for most musicians, what comes next is equally as important and far more difficult) then this well researched, practical, step-by-step guide to producing a custom, low-budget plan of attack is a must. --Total Music Book Reviews
''Borg doesn't mess around with diluted ideas and c' mere-buddy-let-me-school-you approaches to this subject; as a professional marketer, he takes his work seriously and presents it as such.'' --Recording magazine
''The book shows music artists how to take control of their own destiny, save time and money, and eventually draw the full attention of top music industry professionals.'' --Music Connection magazine
About the Author
BOBBY BORG has over 25 years' experience in music as a former recording/touring artist for Warrant, Beggars and Thieves, and other groups. He teaches at Musicians Institute, UCLA Extension, and Berklee College of Music. Borg is the author of The Musician's Handbook and over 1,000 magazine and blog articles. He is VP of Special Events for the American Marketing Association and founder of Bobby Borg Consulting, where he assists rising music professionals globally.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
This book is the premier one. It was published in late 2014 by a 25-yr music-industry veteran. I struggle to find titles that compare evenly. Having said that, every work has its strengths and weaknesses:
* The self examination required of realistic marketing planning can lead to negative feelings. It's unfair to lay this at the feet of the book, but the impact is challenging to absorb and so bears mentioning.
* Most independent musicians begin the marketing process with songs or even a CD in hand. The book begins (logically) at inception. Because of this, it can be dry in the early chapters until you catch up to your point in the process.
* The format becomes repetitive at times.
* The book is not less than a college textbook. If you're only up for an online article, there is a lot to parse and disregard.
* A consistent, upbeat tone. The editing is excellent. The layout is complimentary and easy to follow.
* The chapters are topical and robust. Incredibly well-referenced.
* In taking the reader as unknown, the author prompts them to apply marketing principles according to their goals and means. While requiring a greater investment of concentration, the result is a better understanding of where they fit in the music industry and where to focus their efforts.
* Comprehensive treatment of topics lends exposure to what is possible and promotes a better-integrated strategy.
To top it off, the author is gracious. Would I recommend this book to a musician friend? You bet. (4.5/5 stars.)
Is not just another marketing book, this is the bible every musician who is starting in the business should have. No strange language usage, clear, helpful and with many real live examples that can guide you and solve difficulties you are now facing as an artist, manager, producer or agent who is starting in the business.