Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Music Marketing for the DIY Musician: Creating and Executing a Plan of Attack on a Low Budget (Music Pro Guides) Paperback – August 1, 2014
|New from||Used from|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
''Borg doesn't mess around with diluted ideas and c' mere-buddy-let-me-school-you approaches to this subject; as a professional marketer, he takes his work seriously and presents it as such.'' --Recording magazine
''The book shows music artists how to take control of their own destiny, save time and money, and eventually draw the full attention of top music industry professionals.'' --Music Connection magazine
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
There's no abstraction here - this book helps you identify and evaluate your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats to build a brand/business that is unique, realistic, tangible, and targeted to a specific audience via analytics, research, and data. No fluff, no tawdry glamour. This book is designed to be applied. It's wonderful.
It's used as a class textbook for UCLA's Independent Music Production Program as well as for Los Angeles Recording School. Need I say more?
"Music Marketing for the DIY Musician" may be his best book yet and I really consider it a MUST for every musician, regardless of the music genre. Borg does an incredible job in turning a rather complex topic - marketing - into something very appealing. From setting up your career, defining your audience, analyzing the competition and getting feedbacks from brand branding, pricing and promotion strategies...this is a comprehensive guide that tells musicians everything they need to know about marketing themselves the SMART WAY in the music industry of today.
Whether you are about to graduate from music college, are launching your career as an indie musician or have been performing for years, this book is going to boost your marketing efforts.
If I was to recommend a book people in today's music industry should ready, this would definitely be it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
This book is the premier one. It was published in late 2014 by a 25-yr music-industry veteran. I struggle to find titles that compare evenly. Having said that, every work has its strengths and weaknesses:
* The self examination required of realistic marketing planning can lead to negative feelings. It's unfair to lay this at the feet of the book, but the impact is challenging to absorb and so bears mentioning.
* Most independent musicians begin the marketing process with songs or even a CD in hand. The book begins (logically) at inception. Because of this, it can be dry in the early chapters until you catch up to your point in the process.
* The format becomes repetitive at times.
* The book is not less than a college textbook. If you're only up for an online article, there is a lot to parse and disregard.
* A consistent, upbeat tone. The editing is excellent. The layout is complimentary and easy to follow.
* The chapters are topical and robust. Incredibly well-referenced.
* In taking the reader as unknown, the author prompts them to apply marketing principles according to their goals and means. While requiring a greater investment of concentration, the result is a better understanding of where they fit in the music industry and where to focus their efforts.
* Comprehensive treatment of topics lends exposure to what is possible and promotes a better-integrated strategy.
To top it off, the author is gracious. Would I recommend this book to a musician friend? You bet. (4.5/5 stars.)
Every serious musician should read and re-read this great book.