Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 62 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 97 reviews
VINE VOICEon September 6, 2014
This is by far the best recording of this wonderful show that I have ever heard. I first got it in 1961 when I was in college. The performances are all spot-on. Preston was amazingly into it that early in the run of the show. (Original cast albums are traditionally recorded on the first Sunday after a show opens...unless, of course, the show has closed by then!) There is no comparison between Barbara Cook in this recording and Shirley Jones on the soundtrack. Barbara was (and is) one of the purest, loveliest sopranos ever to grace the Broadway scene. Shirley was too soft-focused, a vocal equivalent of shooting a scene with Vaseline on the lens. (And her "Being in Love" was no substitute for "My White Knight".) The Buffalo Bills got to sing all their songs here. (Some were cut from the movie version.) Iggie Wolfington as Marcellus Washburn was far, far better than Buddy Hackett (though no one could make a good song out of "Shipoopi").

So why didn't I give this five stars? Simply the sound quality. Capitol Records put so much echo onto it that it makes it sound like it was recorded in a rain barrel. All the other recordings of the show I have deliver better sonics, but nothing could ever match and certainly not surpass this gem.
VINE VOICEon April 2, 2014
A friend asked if I had a recording of The Music Man; I didn't but for $5 I was able to download it from Amazon. I was pleased with the sound quality, for this is an older Broadway score. It might have been remastered, but it sounds top-notch. The film score always sounded like a film score...like it was recorded in an echo chamber or something. Anyhow, Robert Preston and Barbara Cook sound great in this recording of a very lively musical.
on April 28, 2017
Fantastic CD featuring Robert Preston as Professor Harold Hill. A solid recording featuring the Original Broadway Cast. Any fan of the musical or movie should pick this up.
VINE VOICEon March 9, 2012
This is still the definitive recording of the show. Meredith Wilson's musical genius is realized by a cast that sets the standard for these songs.

This year will be the centennial of Professor Harold Hill stepping off that train in River City, Iowa, just before the Fourth of July. This show is a time capsule of a period in American history that still resonates today. Listen to Hill working the crowd with "Trouble in River City" and you can hear the essence of so many political campaigns today. Listen to Marian Paroo sing about what she wants in a man, and you'll hear the perennial plaint of every woman looking for love on an equal footing with a man. Listen to the salesman talking about business in the train, and you'll hear the rise of America as a consumer-driven society. Pick-a-little, Talk-a-little is still a humorous indictment of small-minded guardians of morality everywhere.

But beyond that, there is just so much good music to be had here. This should be in everyone's collection.
on July 20, 2017
OK
on August 20, 2012
If I could pick one show to introduce to someone who isn't into musicals, I would pick "The Music Man". The music is catchy and melodic, the lyrics are fun & witty, and the story is entertaining. In fact, "Shipoopi" is parodied in Family Guy, "Till There Was You" is covered by The Beatles, and there were movie adaptations in 1962 and in 2003 so that just shows you how much people love it. For me personally, seeing "Marian The Librarian" in the 1962 movie made me fall in love with Shirley Jones, "Lida Rose" makes me want to join a barbershop quartet, and if I ever got stuck in a deserted island, this would be one of the albums I'd bring. It's that good!
on June 10, 2017
always wonderful
on July 10, 2013
As systems change, our records etc. have gone away. We've loved The Music Man since it opened on stage a hundred years ago. We still get teary when the love song pops up. This is the best recording of it I know.
on April 20, 2017
Great musical.
on November 21, 2001
Am I the only one who has to suck back tears every time Barbara Cook sings these songs from The Music Man? What a gifted singer! I have listened to her renditions of Mr. Wilson's songs since I was a pre-teen. I am now 51. I have worn-out my original LP recording and am now the happy owner of the CD. About 20 years ago, I wrote to and received a letter back from Mr. Wilson. I wanted to tell him how much his music has meant to my life and that it inspired me to compose and arrange music. I will always treasure his letter. May I suggest that you buy this ORIGINAL CAST recording? I believe that you will treasure it for many years to come. As a side note, I was fortunate enough to hear Barbara Cook many decades later in concert. I was not disappointed.