Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 111 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 126 reviews
on September 26, 2012
I pre-ordered Muy Bueno about a month ago after reading the glowing review from Roberto Santibanez, my favorite Mexican chef. I received it yesterday. I have actually never even seen these ladies' cooking blog before, but right off the bat, I read this cookbook from cover to cover. The photographs are beautiful, and the writing is actually worth reading!

In the beginning, the book explains to you that the recipes are contributed by 3 generations of women. A grandmother, mother, and 2 daughters. You can tell who submitted each recipe to the book because there is an icon with each recipe, and every recipe has a little story in the beginning that tells you how it is important to their family culture/tradition. I found the entire cookbook to be utterly heart warming. I feel that every recipe included is approachable, even to the novice cook, and without ingredients that would be difficult to find. I also think it's worth noting that I have about 5 other Mexican cookbooks, but I still know that I will be cooking heavily out of this book.

Some things I just can't wait to try:

Appetizers:
Bacon-wrapped shrimp with jalapeno
Corn in a cup (sort of like Mexican creamed corn, yum!)
Mexican shrimp cocktail (one of the best looking recipes I've seen for this)

Soups:
Albondigas (Mexican meatball soup...I've been wanting to try a new recipe for this!)
Homemade chicken soup (the picture looks absolutely delicious)
Pozole rojo (Red pork and hominy stew)

Entrees:
Chicken tinga
Chipotle shredded pork enchiladas (stacked, not rolled...how fun!)
Beef tongue with tomato (No recipe has ever made me want to cook lengua before)
Chile rellenos topped with ranchero sauce (an old fave)
Cheese and shrimp stuffed poblanos (How could that not be good?)
Chilaquiles rojos (classic Mexican breakfast)

Desserts:
Churros with Mexican chocolate dipping sauce (omg.)
Bunuelos (fried tortillas with cinnamon and sugar)
Coconut milk tres leches cake (WHAT?!)

I am so happy I purchased this cookbook! I will definitely be making all those recipes listed above, and more. I'm pretty sad that my boyfriend wanted pork chops tonight, because it means I won't be able to get started on one of these recipes right away.
on August 19, 2013
I went surfing Amazon for a recipe book that presented traditional and authentic Mexican recipes. There were many Mexican cooking books and "Mexican-like" cookbooks, and Mexican-flavored" cookbooks listed, all with high ratings. But, in these days of egotistical celebrity chefs and cooking magazines that have to turn out 35 or so new recipes a month - whether they are fit to eat or not - it's difficult to determine whether you're getting an authentic traditional recipe or some sort of fusion dish using all the latest fad ingredients that most people in the country of origin may never have heard of. (I keep looking for arugula ice cream to appear in the supermarket any day now. It seems everybody uses this green in just about everything). Fortunately, I live in a city with a great library, so I checked out several of the more popular Mexican recipe books out there to see if they really were traditional and authentic or some celeb chef's creations. Most were the latter. Traditional Mexican food - what gets served on the family tables and in the restaurants south of the Border - is one of the great cuisines of the world. And, as my former boss was fond of saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." My frame of reference to check out these recipes is Better Homes and Gardens 1977 edition of "Mexican Cooking". This is a real jewel of a book that shows you how to cook just about every Mexican dish you'd ever want to. I wouldn't sell my well-used book for $1,000. The problem with it (if you want to call it a problem) is that Mexican-source products weren't readily available then in most places of the United States, so a lot of ingredients come out of a can or are substitutions. I was searching for a book that has the traditional stuff, but where I could take advantage of all the fresh produce and authentic ingredients (think cheeses and peppers here) at my local Latino market. After much research, I decided on "Muy Bueno." It was the right choice. Most of the recipes in this book go back at least three generations to Maria de Jesus Mendias, the matriarch of these cooking daughter and granddaughters who wrote the book. The book is, in actuality, a tribute to Grandma Jesusita and the great dishes she used to cook up back home in Mexico in the days of Pancho Villa. The book also is lavishly illustrated by the excellent photography of Jeanine Thurston. My only complaint with this book is that I wish there were less recipes for mixed drinks and more recipes for breakfasts. A good Huevos Rancheros recipe would be nice, but I already have a good one in BH&G's "Mexican Cooking." I expect I'll still use this little gem until it falls apart. But, if you're looking for the real thing now, "Muy Buenos" is very good.
on November 23, 2014
This is a great gateway book into Mexican cooking. I say this as someone who had never charred or "sweated" a pepper before in my life. After my honeymoon in Mexico, I was just drooling at the thought of delicious Mexican cuisine once I got home. The recipes in this book suit our preferred diet of low-carb, low-glucose foods, all while infusing the most complex and aromatic flavors into our meals.

Seriously, as I prepared the following recipes, I was slack-jawed at my own cooking skills. The smells: so good.

- beef brisket tacos: slow cooker recipe
- pinto beans (frijoles de la olla)

We love the stuff in this cookbook. Give it a try!
on May 28, 2013
I first borrowed Muy Bueno from a friend and when I realized there were too many recipes I wanted to try had to purchase my own! My boyfriend is from California and grew up eating this type of food and has recently moved out to the east coast and he was disappointed every meal we ate out Mexican. Only thing Mexican style I could make before this cookbook was tacos! Recipes are super easy to follow and now I can make anything his belly wants! We especially love the enchiladas! The recipes taste good, present well, and have satisfied his craving of authentic Mexican foods from his home! Ive learned a lot from this book and enjoyed the story in the beginning. If you love authentic Mexican meals these ladies did it right, and you need this book in your collection!!
on June 17, 2013
I'm a native El Pasoan and of Mexican descent. I have grown up eating the food represented in this book and I am thrilled that the authors are also from El Paso and have managed to put together a cookbook worthy of our great cuisine. I moved away from El Paso a few years ago and I dearly missed the food. I married a white woman who does not cook (lol). On top of that, I live in the deep south, Alabama to be precise. Let's just say Taco Bell is what passes for Mexican food around these parts.

My mom is a great cook but she has no "recipes" I can use to recreate what she makes. Ironically, I always had trouble making Mexican rice properly. I tried several recipes and the one for it in this cookbook is spot on! This cookbook makes it easy for me to indulge in my favorite foods. I have the paperback version and I'm glad there is now a Kindle version available. I bought both versions, that's how much I love this cookbook! I know I sound like a shill for the authors but I can assure you, I'm one satisfied Mexican man that is grateful for the quality and effort of the authors and their ability to share their expertise and knowledge with people like me who can now recreate their favorite childhood foods.

P.S. If you don't follow their blog you're missing out! Google it, the website is the same name as the cookbook.
on September 21, 2012
I have been a faithful follower of the Muy Bueno Cookbook blog for over a year now, and have already tried many of their recipes! Their chicken tinga is smoky hot and flavorful. Tacos al pastor is a sweet and spicy blend of yumminess! The pumpkin empanadas and champurrado make excellent autumn and winter treats! I can't WAIT to receive the full cookbook that will have so many more recipes. The pictures, the stories, the love, the recipes - this cookbook is a must have!
on November 4, 2016
This book is absolutely amazing! I wish I could give it ten stars! This cookbook is rich with family history, it honestly reminds me of my grandmother. I miss her dearly but when I cook recipes out of this book I know she would be proud. Many of the recipes in this cookbook are just like the ones I grew up eating, but just like Yvette I never had an interest in the kitchen when my mother and grandmother cooked. Thank you Yvette, Veronica and Evangelina for sharing your recipes, they are alive and appreciated by myself, and my family. We will cherish this cookbook đź’•
review image
on August 12, 2017
Lots of authentic (as far as this Italian New Yorker knows...) Mexican recipes in here. Also, you can visit the website and/or sign up for the email newsletter for additional recipes.
on April 18, 2017
Been wanting to get this for so long now and it is a great modern yet a blast from the past of Mexican food we use eat. Best if all...memories of the food my father use to make. Good delicious authentic and modern recipes. Best of all....... great memories.
on September 11, 2014
I absolutely this cookbook! So many of the recipes remind me of ones I've made growing up in a Mexican-American household. For instance, the cookbook includes recipes I've eaten in Mexico with my father's family, but also includes others, like carrot cake, which is a family staple on holidays at my aunt Stella's. Highly recommend if you want to wow your friends and family with some delicious Mexican recipes.

It also makes a great gift. My aunt was visiting and saw a copy my Muy Bueno cookbook and ordered FIVE -- one for each of her daughters!