Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 4, 2017
Just home from viewing Dolores Huerta (born April 10, 1930 in New Mexico, NM) documentary and book club discussion of Sonia Maria Sotomayor (born June 25, 1954 in New York City) 2013 My Beloved World - what amazing women they both are selecting the best from their extremely different Catholic based cultures. With her eleven children and Justice Sotomayor with her other eight Supremes, both of these women are making our beloved world a better place in these strange times. Take all young people you know to see Dolores and buy a pile of My Beloved World for your Christmas shopping - with influencers like Sonia and Dolores, we will preserve this Beloved World.
on June 1, 2017
Sonia writes in great detail about her childhood in the Bronx that was misunderstood by many people because of her Puerto Rican background. She really makes an important point that children must not be judged by the background of their parents. Sonia tells much about her work and study to learn more about the law. What a wonderful judge we have in the supreme court.
on August 4, 2017
This was an incredibly well written book by an iconic figure who found herself, from a young age, (even with the incredible support of a loving grandmother and aunts,) pretty much independent with dreams. It is the most human, loving story of a life well lived under often, difficult circumstances. One thing is for certain; Sonia Sotomayor has lived her life, her dreams and her humanity to the fullest possible degree. The court is indeed fortunate to have her.
on June 23, 2016
The book is an incredibly detailed account of Justice Sotomayor's life and the people and experiences that helped to make her what she is today. I've never been involved in what it takes to be a lawyer or judge but this book seems as though it would be worth reading to anyone interested in seeing what it takes and in addition provides value in showing how following one's heart results in fulfillment. In the end it seemed such a personal account that it made me feel extremely gratified that she is one of the judges on our Supreme Court.
on June 17, 2014
Sonia Sotomayor's memoir, "My Beloved World", is beautifully written with warmth, hindsight and appreciation for each steppingstone she opted to take at various times in her life. With clear voice she portrays her difficulties: being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as a child, growing up navigating in dual American cultures of both Puerto Rican and Mainland values, all while being raised in meager economic circumstances.
Yet throughout her memoir the reader follows her journey of non-traditional choices that opened not only doors to the American Dream but strengthened her belief in herself to take a next step into the unknown, first in grade school, then admission to Princeton, followed by Harvard Law and ultimately as the first Latina on the Supreme Court.
Sonia Sotomayor writes as an outsider, but in reality shares a secret that others with entirely different backgrounds also face, not being accepted as part of a prevailing "in group". She shows what other outsiders learn, that you have to believe in yourself and that with study and hard work, valuing your family and friends, you can succeed in making your dreams a reality.
on July 8, 2016
As I read Ms. Sotomayor's story it reminded of me my own family. Being born in Puerto Rico, knowing the culture, and family traditions brought
back memories of my own childhood. At some point brought tears to my eyes and laughter of what life was like back then. I too lived away from the island, while not in NY, there were similarities in our story. Thank you Ms. Sotomayor for writing your life story. It gives people the hope that no matter how simple our beginnings are we can accomplish our "big dreams".
on February 7, 2016
I absolutely impress by the story of Sonia Sotomayor ! ( My Beloved World) ( I understand it is required reading for incoming freshmen at the Pomona colleges! It should be required for all incoming college freshmen!)

Sonia not only shares her life, honestly, with its sad and painful experiences but also demonstrates how she was able to positively deal with them. It is a well written inspiring novel .. I felt I knew this Lady! She is an impressive woman who accomplished what many, even today, think impossible for the immigrant to accomplish.
As mentioned in this book, given the chance, and ongoing encouragement from those who have made it...many more will continue to make a positive difference in their lives and the lives of those around them.

I was so impressed with this book that I ordered several more to pass out to my relatives and friends!!! Absolutely worth reading!!
on April 22, 2017
This was an amazing story and an immersion into Puerto Rican culture. The hardships of an alcoholic father who Sonia loved deeply, the struggles with a strong minded mother whose goals were success for her children. I loved the book and learned so much from it.
on January 7, 2014
I’m not sure what to make of this book. Her story is almost too perfect. It’s well written and thoroughly edited. That in itself is a pleasure in these days of slapdash. Nonetheless, I’m doubtful that any one person can have achieved so much against all odds. Casting aside such doubts, my hat’s off to her; she’s in a league of her own.

I come away with the sense that Sonia Sotomayor was born with an intense drive to excel. She grew up surrounded by a chaotic but lovingly supportive houseful of relatives and friends, and she has managed to create a similarly sustaining environment throughout her college and adult years, that is, whenever she wasn’t putting in 10-12 hour days working or studying. I think it would make an excellent book club choice for the discussion it would elicit.

I concur with Chic’s “Engaging Read” review.
on June 26, 2016
Personal, well written and very personable. Not just a story of a person succeeding though raised in "the projects". It's a story of character, family, culture, luck, determination, honesty and poignancy. She shares her regrets and her pleasures. Very refreshing that she has found herself amazed throughout her journey and seemingly unaware that she was making her journey happen. I'm proud that someone so unjudgmental and so analytical sits on the Bench.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.