Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,061 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,818 reviews
on December 22, 2016
Kudos to Nia Vardalos for bringing such a gem to the silver screen! I've seen many romantic comedies. In fact, they're my favorite genre besides "chick flicks" to indulge in when I do watch movies. From classics like "Breakfast at Tiffany's", "Pretty Woman", "Moonstruck", and "Overboard "to the contemporary standards "Sweet Home Alabama", "Bridget Jones Diary", and "Monster-In-Law." I've watched and enjoyed them but not one of them resonates with me like/has made me laugh harder than "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" does. This film is brilliant and how the sleeper hit became one of the highest grossing films and the accolades it's received (an Oscar nod for Nia's screenplay of the film) can attest to that.

I'm not Greek at all (I'm African-American with a family large as, if not larger than, the Portokalos family) but I learned a lot from this film, as Gus (the protagonist Toula's father; played by Michael Constantine) breaks down the history of the Greeks in a witty, wry way that only he can. In fact, I'd like to think because of this film I'm insightful about any and everything Greek. I love the simplicity and uniqueness of the premise: Greek woman past her prime (as far as her vast family is concerned) marries Anglo-Saxon male but it's far from a fairy tale in the weeks leading up to the big day. We come to meet everyone from Toula's mother, Maria (Lainie Kazan) to her fine ass younger brother Nick (Louis Mandylor) to the always hilarious Aunt Voula (Andrea Martin). It's just a feelgood family film that one can count on for many laughs and one may even see themselves or their families in it. I'm highly upset I just found out about it today and it's been released for well over a decade but I'm pleased to know there's a sequel that I'll be watching as soon as I'm done with this review.

Watch this movie! You won't regret it. I sure didn't. Off to watch "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2"....
on June 25, 2016
This is definitely a hilarious movie that you will laugh out to out loud to who is working at her parents restaurant breakfast do something else with her life. She transforms herself that she talked her parents into letting her go to school so she can work at Ann's travel agency. He and then walks by again no this is her through the window basically love at first sight they start dating and then there's the whole scenario about he's not Greek the parents don't like that. His family is as quiet today family they just sit around don't even talk. He's an only child she's on this huge family. He eventually becomes Greek Orthodox so they can get married in the church to her parents this may that she is marrying someone not Greek. He becomes baptized. So they planned this huge Greek Wedding. Basically it's her family that plans the wedding for her and she basically is just showing up she doesn't like all the stuff that is being planned but it is what it is. She had these massive cousins has huge wedding and. On her wedding day she said she looks like a giant white poop ball or something like that. So they have this big reception his parents kind of somewhat lighten up a little bit and then at the wedding her parents bought them a house. And then it goes on to six years later it shows them coming out of the house for their daughter's first day of school of course the Greek School and where do they live right next to her parents. It's definitely a cute movie pretty much anyone can relate to with their quirky family clean wholesome no vulgar language no nudity perfect family movie definitely recommend I love that I've got this movie for free I use the Amazon Digital Credit to earn free movies with the no rush shipping which was awesome.
on August 31, 2016
We love this movie! I think a lot of people can relate to the 'ugly duckling ' story and it's fun and poignant watching Toula blossom. Family dynamics are the same across cultures and Greek or not many will relate to the personality types and interactive actions among the family members. Andrea Martin is fantastic! You'll never look at Bundt Cake the same way - or Windex.
on August 22, 2015
It's an hysterical movie about closing cultural gaps simply by being human. I don't give 5 stars often, it's a really great movie with some "old" greats Michael Constantine (I remember him from Room 222), There's also Andrea Martin, who plays the character she plays so well (the oddball with a big heart and good intentions). John Corbett is the most handsome I've seen him since Sex in the City. This is definitely a must see for some really great laughs.
on July 15, 2015
Such a wonderful movie that perfectly showcases the power of self-confidence can have in the most humorous way. We are introduced to Toula, aGreek woman who grows up in an Orthodox Greek family. We see howe loving and caring they all are as a family unit, which includes the extended family. And we also experience her struggle to become the woman she wants to be in a world that has another opinion on what she should be.
Such a lovely movie. Most of us can identify with how wonderful the family dynamics work in it. And that just adds to the humor I find as I watch it. Just love it.
on August 21, 2016
A great, well rounded, romantic comedy that is not overly romantic. The characters are so lovable and the story is very engaging. It is a realistic romantic story. Lots of laugh out loud moments. Have watched it a few times over the years and still enjoy it every time.
on July 20, 2016
I loved this movie ........I mean after all its the frumpy girl getting her dream guy even though he isn't Greek but he loves her so much that he is willing to get baptized in the Greek orthodox church just for her. And he puts up with her crazy Greek family.........and her Windex crazy dad. A must see!
on April 19, 2016
Absolutely one of THE BEST MOVIES of my life!
I have about 10 TOP Movies that ALL get "1st" on my list and this is one of them.
And if you have not seen the NEW My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 ... you need to get to a theater
soon and absolutely be prepared to truly LAUGH OUT LOUD! (LOL)
Never thought a sequel could be equal to, if not funnier than the 1st one!
on February 21, 2015
As an Instructor in Interpersonal Communications (100 level) I have found this a delightful way to reinforce the communication differences between cultures. Terms "other oriented", "ethnocentrism", "third culture", "masculine culture" and several others that pertain to communicating to diverse cultures can be discovered in a story context as we watch. The class respects that the messages are still there, basted in humor and pathos, as we watch the drama in dated cars, clothes, etc. Enjoy!
on April 21, 2014
This has been a favorite of mine since it first came out. I'm the nerdy girl in my big Greek family, so I definitely identify. I made my amazon purchase so that my SO could watch it for the first time, since my parents have my copy. It explained so much to my SO about the fam :)

Nia Vardalos is hilarious, and a great narrator. I've loved every movie of hers that I've seen. The movie is super funny, even if it does rely on some typecasting and broad generalization. The romance aspect is sweet, but still keeps with the general humor of the movie. No Notebook-ing your date with this movie.

Probably the most touching part of the movie for me is during Toula's wedding preparations; her grandmother shows Toula her Stefana, and sets it on her head. This is very touching, and one of the more emotional moments of the film.