Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 29, 2017
Video Quality: 3.5/5
Audio Quality: 4/5
3D Effects:4.5/5

I always heard this movie would be good, and when i actually watched it, it was great! The ending was NOT what i expected! Really, it wasn't. The 3D effects were pretty good and the effects were good :) You can tell there was a lot of hard work on this movie! But i can't give it more than a 7, strictly for the fact that i know there's scarier movies. But its a very good movie and i do recommend it. I'd love to see a 2nd one :) Jensen Ackles was a WONDERFUL actor in this movie. The movie totally had me drawn in most of the time. There were a few parts that seemed to drag on but barley any. It did jump me from time to time and if you love horror movies, you are sure to love this one!!!! Good luck guys, thanks for looking at my review.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on September 23, 2017
At first when I had heard about this movie being remade back in early 2009 when I first saw the trailer, I had many concerns about whether or not this movie would show any respect for the source material that the excellent 1981 slasher gave us and that has been celebrated for nearly 30 years. I have to admit that it all looked tempting from them selling it with the 3-D element and coming up with a creative ad for it.

Well I would say that how good this remake is is based simply more on how thrilling it is by its own merits and not in contrast with the original. As I see it both versions are great in their own special ways. I won't be comparing this version and the original but rather just to state what is good about this version solely.

The opening credits are awesome visually as computer effects(intended in particular for the 3-D aspect of this movie) are used to show a series of newspaper articles regarding the several slayings brought on by Harry Warden during Valentine's day.

Harry Warden still has a massively menacing appearance with the dark creepy miner's get up. Once he walks steadily but surely with his big pickaxe you know that things are going to get freaky, brutal, and messy with him leaving few to no survivors.

The intensity, gore, and kills are all very well handled. The miner is vicious, scary, and unrelenting in his brutality making for one intense serial killer with no limits to what he'll do. He especially goes from biding his time in the shadows of the mine to subduing his victims with small effort. As for the gore well it's awesomely bloody and graphic even in the aftermath. The gore design may not be entirely as impressive as the practical gore shown in the extended version of the original but the gore showcased here still gets the job done in it's gruesomeness. The kills don't vary a whole lot in execution but the masterful way that Harry wield his pickaxe through people's mouths and chests are remarkably done.

There's not as much nudity as there should have been but still there is still one bit of nudity that is sweet and enjoyable.

As for the actors well, Jensen Ackles did a great job as Tom Hanniger, gorgeous and smokin' hot Jaime King is good here and there as the lovely Sarah Palmer, horror movie veteran Tom Atkins was great as always playing Sheriff Burke, but Kerr Smith as Axel Palmer he really sucked. Not only was his acting terrible but he was cheesy looking, not believable as a small town cop, and most of all he just couldn't hold a candle to Neil Affleck.

The cinematography by Brian Pearson was beautifully and fully shot showcasing gorgeous pictures of the forest, the town of Harmony, the well-lit yet creepy mine, the lovely interiors of the police station, the bridge over water and beyond, the grocery store, and interiors of the character's houses. I also am highly impressed by the creepy and chilling dark and dreary night scenes.

The fight choreography at the end is intriguing and lots of fun to watch as well.

The 3-D aspect of this movie is really cool and it makes this movie all the more fun to watch.
on October 8, 2017
You have to keep in mind this is basically a B-Movie with some B-List stars. This is also a remake of a 1970's movie. Sure the ending is fairly predictable, but it's also good about making you second guess your prediction because they know you probably predicted the ending. The acting isn't horrible, because everyone in the movie is good at being "themselves". Think of Jensen as playing Dean Winchester if Dean Winchester were in an alternative universe with an alternate family history. If you can approach the movie with that level of tolerance the rest of the movie is just fine. I recommend it for Halloween Parties where you want Cheep Thrills for the squeamish and eye rolls for the true Horror fans. If you're looking for something that will make you think, make you scream or keep you up at night - might I recommend, The Strangers or It Follows. If you want something disturbing try Funny Games. All three of which will probably make you less popular when "normal" people find you liked those movies.
on November 14, 2012
I was a fan of the original story when I was in Jr. High School. Had the opportunity to see this film on my PS3 3D monitor. I was not disappointed. Story has changed for the better, acting has changed for the better and horror effects were some of the most creative I've seen in a while. I watched the special features which were in 2D which had scenes from the movie I just watched in 3D. The 3D made this movie stand out above the others in the genre. If you're watching the film in 2D, my rating would be B-. If you're watching in 3D, my rating would be A-. Though other 3D movies immerse you in depth. This one has more come at you effects! Some of which are slowed down for you to appreciate and awe at.
on June 13, 2017
3D images showed great depth and very good quality image transfer. Quite enjoyable if you like this kind of violence..
on August 20, 2010
I must have missed this when it hit the theaters, I just bought it because I had seen the original when I was a kid and thought that they just released it on blu-ray in 3d.

Well, I was very surprised that it was actually a remake.. and actually a very good remake. I jumped straight to watching it in 3d on my samsung 55 inch LED and after watching coraline in red/blue 3d this was so much better. The 3d was a lot better than I would have expected with a red/blue filter.

As for the film, I actually liked it better than the first. Most of the movie was redone, but they kept a lot of key elements in the movie (including a version of the dryer scene). This is one of those horror flicks that I'll watch again and again
on February 20, 2013
Horror, but most important is that it is a 3D Ten experience. Everything that I, Robot lacked this movie has and plenty of it. I first brought it as a want-a-be 3D movie and I loved it (but not the paper glasses). So, I got a new 3D TV and now purchased the "Real" 3D version. Want a treat it is to watch, 3D all the way through the movie. The pick-axe scenes are outstanding. As, I build my 3D collection, this will always be at the top of it.
on April 12, 2016
typical slasher, but with one of the Supernatural guys.
on November 4, 2010
I thought this was a fairly good slasher film. The story line was interesting to a point, but of course the villian had more lives than my cat. Too bad normal, non-slasher people can't take all the beatings, stabbings, buring, etc. and bounce back the way the movie villian. Usually that's when movies lose me. I will admit, though, I wasn't sure who was doing all the killings until the end of the movie. The 3D glasses are absolutely a must, unless you like everything on the screen a fuzzy and lined with purple/green haze. On Valentine's Day: give your card, candy, &/or flowers, AND treat your love to this movie. LOL!!!
on March 18, 2016
I don't have 3-D, but this movie looks real. It looks like the actors are physically in front of you. Also, it's a romantic movie to watch on Valentine's Day.