Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: My California
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 23, 2010
I may be one of the few people that actually owns every one of Beth Hart's albums including her obscure ones with the Beth Hart Band. I love Beth's music because it's raw, passionate, Beth has killer vocals, and I love the bluesy folk rock feel to the majority of her work. This album seems to be a little bit more polished/produced. While I'm not one of those people that thinks higher production=sell out album, in this case I feel some of what makes Beth unique was lost a little bit. To me at least, the album just isn't as emotionally gutting. I think her most emotional performance is actually the bonus live track "Oh Me, Oh My" which is simply transcendent as it's just Beth and her piano singing her heart out. Maybe some of my disappointment comes from the fact that I kind of was expecting a perfect album which is just ridiculous.

However, all that isn't to say that "My California" is a bad album-because it's not-it's still 5x better than the majority of stuff out there. Beth still delivers quality music in her throaty JanisJoplinesque vocals. The lyrics are touching and well-written. The music is still that fun mixture of rock/blues/folk/alternative. "Love Is the Hardest" is probably my favorite track currently, but the great thing about Beth's music is that its so nuanced and layered that a song you might have initially passed over can quickly become a new favorite on repeat listens.

I would recommend this album if you like Blues Traveler, Janis Joplin, or Shannon Curfman. Although, know that Beth really has her own distinctive sound that can't even really be put in a box. I for one, am simply glad that Beth is still recording and giving herself to her music after almost 18 years.
44 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2010
I have been an avid Beth Hart fan since I first heard "L.A. Song". I love this album. Granted,it is somewhat different( a little less attitude and rebellion) from most of her work, but isn't that why we love Beth. Beth is different, she is unique. Her music is relative, whether she has spiders in her head, is screaming for her supper, needs to leave the light on, or feels like a one-eyed chicken who can't be changed. Her music is her life and she tells her lifestory truthfully and passionately. Beth tells us who she is and where she is, who she has been and where she has been, at different times in her life. As we all know, time is constantly changing us and this album is another chapter in Beth's life. In "My California", I get the sense that Beth is going home, back to L.A. on friendlier terms with her demons. However, I expect this visit to be a brief one. She is an extraordinary singer, songwriter, and musician who deserves much more recognition than she has been given.
on October 27, 2010
Beth Hart is a brilliant talent and has the ability to write very personal material about her life and struggles. As a recovering addict/alcoholic and as someone who suffers from bipolar disorder, she has put it all in her songs and still manages to leave a positive and uplifting impact. I heard her explain in an interview that her producer wanted her to make an album that is based on storytelling. Beth has done that very well. This album is not as rocking as her previous works, yet the content of the writing is strong. Her song Sister Heroine about her sister who died of addiction is one of her best songs to date. The song in which she thanks her parents for what they have done for her (Weight of the World) is also among her best. Other tracks that stand out are Love is the Hardest, Like You and Everybody is Sober. The core of the album is openness, honesty and sharing things that will help others know they are not alone. Someone did go a little crazy with the "studio magic" on this album. I say next time save the money. 24 karat gold does not need a veneer. If you listen to Live at Paradiso or watch the Live at Paradiso dvd you will know what I mean. We do get a reprieve from studio magic on the bonus track Oh Me Oh My thankfully. Regardless I still give the album five stars because of the songwriting and performance. This is a "different" album but another impressive addition to Beth Hart's entire body of work. This woman is a must to see in concert. p.s. the photography and design of the cd is very well done.
on May 4, 2013
I heard Beth's voice on the album she cut with Joe Bonamassa, and then saw her tribute to Buddy Guy at the Kennedy Center Honors. This album fits more to pop than blues, but the elements are there, and Beth's voice is clear. I've discovered that I just like to hear her sing.
on July 31, 2011
I have every album Beth Hart has put out and his one is more polished than most but is absolutely outstanding. There is not one less than great track on this CD and her vocals, while a bit more restrained than on past albums, are absolutely incredible. Why isn't Beth Hart a household name and why hasn't this CD been released in the U.S.A.? She's at the top of her game here. She writes what's true, from the heart, and sings with incredible passion going from soft pop to blues to out and out rock and roll. She can scream with the best of them. Her lyrics are, true to form, mostly about past demons, addiction, recovery, life. She's an original and I can't stop listening to this and get enough of her.
on April 26, 2015
Just can't get into this one. I fell in love with Beth Hart and her passionate, raw voice on 37 Days. I quite enjoy Leave The Light On and appreciate her work on Seesaw. This, however, seems bloodless by comparison every time I listen to it & becomes a tedious slog I keep thinking will get better. Maybe I'm just not ready for it, but I would refer anyone to the other albums first.
on February 28, 2013
Listen to a whole new Beth Hart, beautiful lyrics only from Beth and her pain. This is a bluesy ballad CD. I haven't cried while listening to a CD in a long time, I'm a 58 year old male that's seen and heard a lot, but Beth's lyrics ring so true, they break you down. "Love Is The Hardest" is the song that broke me down first, ""I just don't love any more, I don't have any more, I can't give any more"" Then Beth follows this up with "Bad Love Is Good Enough" and then finally, to her dead sister, "Sister Heroine", ""skin and bone don't cast no shadow on a bed at Motel Six"". Every track on this CD is unbelievably powerful and painful. My favorite track, "Everybody Is Sober" ""The devil walks where the Angels run" starts as a fast ballad then breaks into a beautiful screaming Beth rock and roll then falls back to the fast ballad, only from Beth. If we only knew the pain that Beth has within her trying to get out. If you want the best blues from Beth, try the "Screaming For My Supper" CD. If you want the best jazz/blues from Beth, try the "Bang Bang Boom Boom" CD. If you want the best rock and roll/blues from Beth, try the "Immortal" CD. I used to collect blues music but now since first hearing Beth, I only collect Beth Hart and I'm in nirvana each night with my headphones on. Thanks ! Beth for your gift to us.
on November 24, 2015
Beth has always been favorite of mine
Love her voice and attitude!!
She has come far and achieved so much beyond success.
Wonderful voice no matter what she's singing
Awesome in person !
on January 4, 2015
Not even close to my favorite album by Beth Hart, but I still have to give it 5 stars! Every performance by this enormously talented musician is pure gold to my ears. She has had her share of difficulties, from what I have heard, but she channels raw emotion into bone-chillingly bold (and sometimes sweet) melodies. Her lyrics are equally intense. Beth Hart's harmonies and melodic tones reflect my soul's ear, without having to go through the challenges that brought the songs to life. If you are not familiar with Ms. Hart's music, I might suggest 37 Days or Leave the Light On first - but this could be your gold, too.
on October 14, 2012
I have several of her cd's and this one does not disappoint. It slows things down a little, but the slower tempo makes it more moving, intimate, and raw. I listened to 3 tracks on Spotify and immediately clicked over to Amazon to buy. I know I will play this one over and over. Really loved the collaboration with Slash of "Sister Heroine." Also love "Love is the Hardest," "Happiness," and "Like You." So many times I feel like she is singing my life and I think that is her gift. You go, Beth.