Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 46 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 142 reviews
on April 10, 2017
I have read a couple of Micheal Ian Black's other books and found them enormously entertaining. However, I found his collection of essays rather disappointing in comparison.​
on September 4, 2008
...but I love this book to death. I want to be buried with it. When I die, I want it to be because I laughed so hard I accidentally ate the book and then I want to be buried in a coffin made out of this book. Just kidding - I want to be cremated.

Okay, here's my real review:

Michael Ian Black is a genius and to me, his book is hilarious. But like any brand of comedy, you have to be predisposed to it. If it's not up your alley, it's not up your alley. It seems to me that those reviewing this book negatively (I'm looking at you, Amazon Vine) are not taking into account that this is a particular type of humor and are instead reviewing based on their personal comedic preferences. It's like going to see a sci-fi movie and saying it wasn't good because you prefer romantic comedies.

Within this genre of comedy, however, Michael Ian Black does it best. If you like your humor a little vulgar and definitely surprising, then this this book is for you. If you prefer the Blue Collar Comedy Tour or remember The State or Stella as the stupidest things you've ever seen, then it's probably best to shy away from this one.
on April 8, 2013
Since I'm already a fan of MIB's work on the small screen I couldn't wait to check out his collection of essays.....what a disappointment! I found only two or three of the pieces to be even remotely humorous. The rest were just nonsensical, ridiculous and completely unfunny. I've read lots of comedic essay collections and it seems they can always be divided into 2 categories...those that appeal to everyone on some level and those that are funny to the author alone. This is definitely the latter. The opening essay is a long, tired, predictable inner monologue of the struggle that goes on in Billy Joel's mind when someone asks him to play Piano Man. I was bored by the second page. And it only gets worse from there. If reading a list of potential DJ names (with the HILARIOUS choice of DJ Rumpelstiltskin making the cut) is high on your list of hilarious bits, then buy this book. Otherwise, just watch one of his tv reruns and pretend like this never existed. You'll definitely find him funnier that way.
on September 5, 2008
First of all, let me just say my review of this book is not clouded by the fact that Michael Ian Black is easily one of my two favorite Michaels. If it had been horrible, I would let all of you good people out there know. But, fortunately, I can very seriously say, if you are considering buying this book I don't know what you're still doing down here reading this. Go click Add To Cart, immediately.

I purchased My Custom Van on pre-order and totally forgot I had done so immediately afterward because I am addicted to Amazon One-Click and constantly forget what I've bought. So, to my delighted surprise this book found its way to my mailbox the day before I had to go on a five hour plane ride out to L.A.

I started and finished it on that plane ride. The book was so hilarious, I couldn't put it down. And I couldn't stop laughing. People on the plane kept staring at me like I was being ridiculous. I just wanted to stand on my crappy coach chair that wouldn't lean back and start reading it aloud to everyone else, so they could join me in my jubilance. And all of that was before I got to Taco Party, during which, I may have peed my pants more than a little bit, maybe so much that the person sitting next to me requested to be moved to a different row even though that person was my own mother.

If you love Michael Ian Black, I see no reason why you wouldn't love this book. Even if you don't love him due to his strange resemblance to Freddie Mercury, My Custom Van is purely a hilariously written piece of work.

So, in summation, if you hate laughing, jubilance, Tacos, talk of Anal stimulation, or Freddie Mercury, I guess you will not find My Custom Van amusing. Otherwise, you should be reading it instead of this right now.
on March 30, 2016
I'm not very big on reading, I simply never was! But when I hear my favorite comedian wrote a book it only seemed natural to check it out. And now, as some people might roll their eyes at, this is my favorite book. It had me grinning and laughing at every page and I couldn't put it down until I was done! I would recommend this book for some light reading when you want something effortlessly easy to enjoy.
on March 21, 2012
I can sum this book up in 2 simple words - This book was hilarious.
Amazon "recommended" this book based on past purchases, and sure enough, they found my kind of humor. Actually, they recommended Michael Ian Black's more recent 'You're Not Doing it Right', but after reading the introduction, I figured it would be better to test-drive his first book prior. I'd never heard of Mr. Black even though he's (very famous), but based on the reviews decided to give it a shot. I agree with many other posters that it really depends on the style of comedy one prefers, this book could probably piss someone off just as easily as it made me fall out of my chair. It's very off-the-wall, somewhat dry humor, sometimes subtle, sometimes in-your-face, but never immature. I now can't wait to get his next one.
on December 20, 2016
freakin' funny.
on December 29, 2012
As written above, I have laughed my butt off which I had previously thought was just a common aphorism used to compliment someone on their hilarious piece of prose, but am now being told by the doctors is a very serious condition that will forever effect my ability to sit down properly. As serious as my condition is, I am also serious when I say that I enjoyed this book and thought it was hilarious. In fact, I laughed my butt off.
on February 3, 2017
Some really funny moments, but you have to sift through a lot of not-so-funny material to get to them.
on October 15, 2010
It's no secret that the publishing phenomenon of the last ten years has been books that people can read while taking a dump. Well, with the assistance (ass-istance?) of Michael Ian Black I have enjoyed some of the most hilarious sh*ts of my life.

None of the essays are more than five or so pages long, so whether it's last nights burrito (5mins max) or a post Vikadin binge release (up to 6 hours), this book is perfect for dropping trow and saying goodbye.

It's very, very funny.