Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on October 2, 2016
I have read several books on this subject, and will continue to read more when I find them. Howard Storm's account is particularly intriguing because he did not go through a "tunnel", or see a "light" at the end of the tunnel. He experienced something very frightening and as close to "hell" as I would ever imagine it to be. Then he heard a voice tell him to pray for help. When he did, his prayer was answered, and Jesus rescued him. For an atheist, that had to be a very life changing experience. His account of this brought me to tears, and I am thankful he was given that second chance at life, and what he did with it. Hope he continues to serve others, and hope others with this type of experience will be inspired to write about it.
on November 4, 2014
I would like to thank the author Howard Storm for sharing his personal experience. The message of this book is about God's divine love and grace extended to every single person on earth, not just exclusive to any particular religious group. The love of God is reflected in every human being, and it's our choice whether to accept it and more importantly, reflect it on our family, friends, neighbors, and strangers. Like the author said, each of us can make a difference by praying for peace and showing compassion to one another.

As the author said in his interviews, the dark place where he was tortured during the near death experience was not necessarily "hell", as he had not seen fire in the abyss yet. It sounded more like the Valley of Death where he was still able to seek the Light (refer to Psalms 23:4). It showed the importance of our relationship with God - without the Shepherd, we won't be able to find the gate of heaven. The part about the saving of Jews from concentration camp tells us how loving and forgiving God is to mankind.

The later part of the book sent an important message about our submission to God's will in our lives as followers. We might face a lot of hardships by walking the path that He leads us, but we'll always find comfort and peace if we have faith. Like the author said, we certainly cannot blame God for every suffering that we experience and forget about all the graces that were granted to us throughout our lives. I learned from the book that if the Spirit is in us, we shall also see goodness in others, as we are all in one, and not judge people by blindly quoting the scriptures.

If the readers are interested in NDE and experience of hell, I recommend "Placebo" and "Demons: An Eyewitness Account" by Howard O. Pittman.
on May 18, 2015
This man's testimony answered many lingering questions I've held for the majority of my life. It was God that led me to this messenger, to this message, and back to the Messiah Jesus Christ. This was not only Howard Storm's second chance at life but mine as well. To summarize this text "God loves us." And that love is as great and inconceivable as "The One" himself. Please don't take my word(s) for it but read these words for yourself.
"And it shall come to pass after this, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy: your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions."
Joel 2:28
on January 31, 2017
I'm a skeptic of anyone who says they talked to Jesus first hand..... But I'm entirely taken by Howard Storms account..... In this world there are too many Joseph Smith's, Jim Jones's, Mohammed's, David Koresh's, Marshall Applewhites, and other self proclaimed prophets who say they received special messages from god and were chosen ones, yet abuse people for their own personal glory and self praise..... However, Howard Storm's story is entirely different, he tells a narrative of pain and humility, and his experience is entirely in line with Christian beliefs. His self description throughout the novel renders him to be the least of mankind, the same as Paul's self description. The experience he describes is embarrassing at times and it gets downright gruesome at one point where he won't even tell us the details of what happened. If you pay attention while reading this book you'll notice he discounts himself and only gives praise to god. His conversion is entirely verifiable, even his wife will agree he was an atheist before and a religious nutcase after his recovery and she was an opponent, which makes her account quite credible.

I don't know, I wasn't there when this happened to him..... But I 'm learning towards believing the dude. Either way this book is a great read. It's fully within Christian thinking and beliefs. It does not promote Howard at all, but 100 percent promotes God. the writing is a little weak, but the story makes up for it. The only thing controversial thing about it is when he asked Jesus about the future and Mr storm described seeing a significantly reduced population and lack of technology.....
on May 31, 2017
Storm's account starts soberingly, but moves to the most inspiring and hope-filled possibilities afforded us in our human condition. A challenging must-read for those who can't believe; reassurance for those whose faith wavers; and affirmation for those whose faith is solid.

Never preachy, Rev. Storm presents with us with testimony that demands a response, whatever our spiritual situations might be.
on March 21, 2017
Moving and insightful, this book details one man's journey from hell to heaven and back to life again. This was a book that I couldn't put down, every page of it held descriptions of amazing places or beings, deeply personal experiences, or instructions to live by. I am a Christian and found that this book greatly reaffirmed my faith in God and Jesus Christ. This book isn't just for Christians, the author was told by Jesus Christ and the Angels that the best religion for any person is the one that brings him or her closest to God. Ultimately, those of other faiths will be given the opportunity to accept Christ, as it is only through him that any person can be redeemed.
on October 15, 2017
I first read about Howard Storm in Imagine Heaven by John Burke, another great book. My Decent Into Death is a amazing book and well written. Riveting to read. Howard asks many questions that we all have and gets the answers to them. Whether you believe in God or not, believe in a afterlife or not, this is a great book and food for thought. Also check out on Youtube some of Howards interviews.
on November 27, 2016
Here is my review and response to this lovely book. I especially loved the section that describes Storm's questions for God and the many in-depth responses he received. There is much wisdom in this book. As an NDEr myself, there were many moments I completely understood...I understood his longing for that deep love an communion we felt on the other side. I understood his deep desire to communicate his experience in the hospital..even when nurses and doctors were not open or interested in his story. Most of all, I understand the love of God he describes in this book.
on April 27, 2015
What a mystery and surprising book this is. It was interesting to hear narrative from an intellectual atheist and to hear about his near death experience. I learned several very important things from his experience and have loaned my copy out to several other friends. I would recommend this book from several view points, but let it suffice to say you won't be disappointed. It was a quick read and VERY interesting!
on March 12, 2013
This is one of the best NDE accounts I've read so far. Whether you believe Storm's story is legitimate or not, he has some very insightful things to say concerning spirituality.

If you are a die-hard conservative Christian, you may find plenty of stuff you agree with and some stuff you don't. This account confirms that God is love, angels exist, there is a Heaven and a Hell, and that Jesus is an incarnation of the divine Logos. It also gives credence to the ancient Christian doctrine of the Resurrection of the Dead. Many modern Christians mistakenly believe this doctrine just refers to going to Heaven when you die, when it fact it refers to getting a new physical body equivalent to Jesus' resurrected body: not subject to sickness, death, or other physical limitations, and that Earth will eventually become a utopic paradise as predicted in Isaiah and Revelation. This account seems to state that both are true: there are clearly people in Heaven with God, but Storm also gets a glimpse into the future where the people of Earth are no longer subject to death and can travel to different planets by the power of mind alone. Mankind won't receive these gifts until we are spiritually ready, Storm says.

All that said, this accounts says some things that are at odds with many things taught by conservative Christians in America. Firstly, Jesus loves everyone and is willing to save anybody, Christian or not. People who go to Hell go there not because they don't believe in the correct doctrine but because they have rejected the love of God and love of others. Secondly, Hell need not be eternal. Anyone in Hell who calls out to God can be saved (Storm went to Hell first but was eventually lifted out of it). Many Christians will be uncomfortable with these two ideas because they point to universal salvation, which in fact was a belief of several early Christians (particularly those of the Alexandrian and Antiochian schools). Hell however is not directly stated to be purgatorial in nature, although it may serve as such. Rather, people in Hell are there of their own device, unable to let go of their self-serving addictions, and the longer they stay the harder it is for them to get out.

The account's view of sin is also radically different from what many Christians teach. Sin doesn't decrease God's love for us. In fact, we are allowed to make mistakes in life. Mistakes are how we learn to get better; life is one big learning experience.

Another odd doctrinal tidbit was that infants who die may have their souls reincarnated, which is actually a pretty simple solution to the question of where dead babies go when they die.

Where the account really shines though is Storm's interactions with the angels. When he gets his life review (a staple of NDEs) the angels are not interested in his accomplishments but rather his interactions with other people. Showing love is more important that becoming famous, something demoralizing to Storm at the time and no doubt to many modern Americans in a success-driven society. The best part of the account are the angels' answers to Storm's questions. What is God? Why doesn't God just tell people beyond doubt that He exists? Why does God allow suffering to happen? I could go into great detail about the answers to these questions, but the best thing you can do is pick up a copy yourself. It's worth it. Believe me. 5 stars.