Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 820 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 986 reviews
on October 29, 2015
First, let me say I love OMAM. The music gets five gold stars without question. All of their songs are richly layered with great vocals, percussion, strings, etc, etc. this comes through wonderfully on their CD's. Unfortunately the vinyl pressings have not done justice to the source material, at least not the copies I've bought and listened to.

Maybe it's just my copies, maybe there was a drunken spider monkey in charge of quality control the day my disks rolled off the press but a visual survey of the colored vinyl shows dips, bubbles and streaks throughout all sides of all the disks and you can hear these during playback. Background noise is really distracting (I have a nice TT and amp setup that normally brings out the best in both vintage and new lp's) and combined with the warbling that can be heard on some of the inner songs (that I don't hear on the digital version) makes both their debut and follow up pretty much unlistenable to my ears.

Again, love the band (they are awesome live), but I feel like I paid 50 bucks for blow ups of the cd cover art and four extra large skeet targets.

Hopefully a more audiophile directed edition (sorry if that sounds snooty, not meant to be) will be released some day. I think they have the potential to sound magnificent - give Arcade Fire's Neon Bible a listen for a idea of what could be.
on March 31, 2014
This review is of the vinyl version of the album.

Pros: Less dynamic range compression than digital release.

Cons: Poor quality vinyl. Both records are warped, and side 3 suffers from a lot of surface noise, pops and clicks. This after cleaning with a record brush and neutralizing static. I'm on my second copy of the album, the first I sent back because it was too badly warped and the sticker for side 3 was not glued on. On my newest copy sides 3 and 4 are pressed off center causing pitch variations.

Good album, just wish the vinyl pressing was of higher quality.

Edit - dropping my rating to two stars after receiving my third copy which is just as garbage of a pressing as the first two.
on November 14, 2016
I bought the vinyl edition to further feed my new addiction to the vinyl comeback. The record is great and it's one of my absolute favorite albums. It's in great condition and plays well. Now here's where it gets weird. This is the second time I've bought this album on vinyl. (The first was from barnes and noble but it was warped so I sent it back.) That first set was solid pink. All the others I have seen online are solid pink. But my new one is marbled with pink black and white. I attached a picture. Anyone have any thoughts?
review image
on July 24, 2016
The album is unlike anything I've ever heard before. Sure it's folk or whatever you want to call it, but these guys truly have their own defined sound that really works. The superior musicianship of each individual in the band is showcased perfectly, and these guys really know how to work together to make very heart warming music. The pink vinyl tops it off. Personally, I like listening to this album best during a rainy early fall morning while sipping on delicious coffee and looking out the window and staring at the changing leaves.
on June 20, 2017
Music is outstanding. Pink vinyl is fun. Album lacks interesting inserts, lyrics, etc. However, what reduces it to 3 stars is that IT IS MISLABELED!!! Sides 1 and 2 have the labels for sides 3 and 4, and vice versa! I have ~500 albums and I've never seen this! Unbelievable.
on July 29, 2013
From the unfamiliar, mysterious lyrics to the singers' Icelandic accents, and the wall of music that flows from this band, I really enjoy listening to them. I actually prefer the live videos on YouTube, for they bring out the characters of the individual band members, and also allow them to tinker around the edges on some songs, like when trumpeter Ragnhildur Gunnarsdóttir alters her playing from one event to the next. The lead singers, Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir and Ragnar Þórhallsson. harmonize well together, and sing their solo parts with passion and joy. I like the fact that at certain parts of most of the songs, all of the band members sing, such as on choruses of songs. I also enjoy the many "Heys!" and "Lalalas" thrown into the mix. The CD, being a studio version, is a bit more clean and straightforward. What I mean by that is that the songs are wonderful, but seem to lack the feeling and joy apparent in the live performances. This band generally plays in a tight way, all of the instruments either supporting the others in what I think of as a wall of music coming at you, or else the guiatarists or the trumpeter weave their beautiful music in and out of the drums, acoustic guitars, and keyboards -- or sometimes, an accordion. Well done, guys and gals!
on April 5, 2012
We all know Of Monster and Men's hit title, Little Talks. This album features that stunner and a slew of hits. The album is a breath of fresh air, and any true fan of music will absolutely love every song and will find themselves humming along. Do yourself a favor, if you are a fan of Mumford & Sons, Arcade Fire, or Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, do yourself a favor, and support this magnificent indie band.
on November 3, 2015
Of monsters & men has such a great album. They have such a variety of sound on the album and each song leaves you excited for the next! I, personally, don't really care that it comes with multiple records for one album, but I do love the fun pink colored vinyl. I would definitely recommend this album for anybody who is looking for a fun, new sound.
on January 18, 2013
I learned about these guys from Paul Krugman of all people. I hate his taste in music, but I check out his recommendations as an attempt to broaden myself. Nanna and Ragnar's odd but delightful voices had me hooked from the beginning. Then I watched the video for 'Little Talks' and was instantly transformed into a fanboy.

I'm sure many people will dismiss this music as unserious, but these days when people say 'serious' they usually just mean 'mopy'. Fun is its own kind of serious and Of Monsters and Men do it brilliantly. I've frequently seen them compared to Mumford and Sons, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes - two bands which I can barely stand thirty seconds at a time. So please don't be guided by those comparisons

Personally Of Monsters and Men put me more in mind of Feist or Regina Spektor - artists I love. That's not any kind of intellectual analysis, just my own emotional/esthetic response. Still if you enjoy either of those artists maybe you should check these guys out. There are I think literally dozens of videos of the band in performance to be found, so it's easy to preview them.
on January 11, 2013
Words like "soaring" and "lush" are a bit of overkill for me, for this music; I have always sought the extraordinary, the unusual but not discordant, and the sense of being taken outside myself--of a kind of sublimation, in music. It's tough for any artist to weigh her drive to create and her need for self-expression with the need to pay the bills, and then there's how much one is willing to compromise and produce an output of art that responds to the market. It's also difficult to have a voice that stands out from the formulaic pop crap out there without being so esoteric that you are your only audience. I think Of Monsters and Men is pretty much there--but I have been transported and stripped to bone by a substantial number of artists, thanks to working at finding them (and to being older). I'll have to live with it for at least a year before I know if it's the type of music that gives you that little moment of inner rejoicing when it comes up on the player; for now I'd say that this album hits about three-quarters of the way up the wow-o-meter, which isn't easy to find. Enjoyable.