Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by us the duo STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

My Head is an Animal
Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 31, 2014
This review is of the vinyl version of the album.

Pros: Less dynamic range compression than digital release.

Cons: Poor quality vinyl. Both records are warped, and side 3 suffers from a lot of surface noise, pops and clicks. This after cleaning with a record brush and neutralizing static. I'm on my second copy of the album, the first I sent back because it was too badly warped and the sticker for side 3 was not glued on. On my newest copy sides 3 and 4 are pressed off center causing pitch variations.

Good album, just wish the vinyl pressing was of higher quality.

Edit - dropping my rating to two stars after receiving my third copy which is just as garbage of a pressing as the first two.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on July 24, 2016
The album is unlike anything I've ever heard before. Sure it's folk or whatever you want to call it, but these guys truly have their own defined sound that really works. The superior musicianship of each individual in the band is showcased perfectly, and these guys really know how to work together to make very heart warming music. The pink vinyl tops it off. Personally, I like listening to this album best during a rainy early fall morning while sipping on delicious coffee and looking out the window and staring at the changing leaves.
on June 20, 2017
Music is outstanding. Pink vinyl is fun. Album lacks interesting inserts, lyrics, etc. However, what reduces it to 3 stars is that IT IS MISLABELED!!! Sides 1 and 2 have the labels for sides 3 and 4, and vice versa! I have ~500 albums and I've never seen this! Unbelievable.
on July 29, 2013
From the unfamiliar, mysterious lyrics to the singers' Icelandic accents, and the wall of music that flows from this band, I really enjoy listening to them. I actually prefer the live videos on YouTube, for they bring out the characters of the individual band members, and also allow them to tinker around the edges on some songs, like when trumpeter Ragnhildur Gunnarsdóttir alters her playing from one event to the next. The lead singers, Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir and Ragnar Þórhallsson. harmonize well together, and sing their solo parts with passion and joy. I like the fact that at certain parts of most of the songs, all of the band members sing, such as on choruses of songs. I also enjoy the many "Heys!" and "Lalalas" thrown into the mix. The CD, being a studio version, is a bit more clean and straightforward. What I mean by that is that the songs are wonderful, but seem to lack the feeling and joy apparent in the live performances. This band generally plays in a tight way, all of the instruments either supporting the others in what I think of as a wall of music coming at you, or else the guiatarists or the trumpeter weave their beautiful music in and out of the drums, acoustic guitars, and keyboards -- or sometimes, an accordion. Well done, guys and gals!
on August 28, 2017
I really like this album but the vinyl pressing is crap. The outer tracks are okay, but once you get to the inner tracks the quality hits the toilet leaving the listener with a muffled and undefined sound.

Combined rating:
5 star album
1 star vinyl copy
on April 5, 2012
We all know Of Monster and Men's hit title, Little Talks. This album features that stunner and a slew of hits. The album is a breath of fresh air, and any true fan of music will absolutely love every song and will find themselves humming along. Do yourself a favor, if you are a fan of Mumford & Sons, Arcade Fire, or Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, do yourself a favor, and support this magnificent indie band.
48 helpful votes
49 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 3, 2015
Of monsters & men has such a great album. They have such a variety of sound on the album and each song leaves you excited for the next! I, personally, don't really care that it comes with multiple records for one album, but I do love the fun pink colored vinyl. I would definitely recommend this album for anybody who is looking for a fun, new sound.
3 helpful votes
on January 11, 2013
Words like "soaring" and "lush" are a bit of overkill for me, for this music; I have always sought the extraordinary, the unusual but not discordant, and the sense of being taken outside myself--of a kind of sublimation, in music. It's tough for any artist to weigh her drive to create and her need for self-expression with the need to pay the bills, and then there's how much one is willing to compromise and produce an output of art that responds to the market. It's also difficult to have a voice that stands out from the formulaic pop crap out there without being so esoteric that you are your only audience. I think Of Monsters and Men is pretty much there--but I have been transported and stripped to bone by a substantial number of artists, thanks to working at finding them (and to being older). I'll have to live with it for at least a year before I know if it's the type of music that gives you that little moment of inner rejoicing when it comes up on the player; for now I'd say that this album hits about three-quarters of the way up the wow-o-meter, which isn't easy to find. Enjoyable.
on July 27, 2012
I don't think that I've come across a debut album from an Icelandic rock band that was as good as Of Monsters and Men's since Sigur Ros's VON. Alright, so maybe Of Monsters and Men is the only other Icelandic rock band that I know... Regardless, of their origin, MY HEAD IS AN ANIMAL is a fantastic album on almost all fronts. The band's sound is akin to that of Arcade Fire's FUNERAL or Mumford and Sons' SIGH NO MORE. It's an earthy, heartfelt sound that owes itself to a folky disposition. Unlike those two other bands though, Of Monsters and Men's album is mostly positive, upbeat, and life-affirming.

Honestly, the first time I listened to this album, the only song that really stood out was the lead single "Little Talks." After its first spin, I dismissed the band as a product of hype. A few weeks later, I picked MY HEAD IS AN ANIMAL up again for another try, and, I'm not sure exactly what changed, but I couldn't believe what I had been missing out. There's a moral somewhere in this story, but I never seem to learn my lesson, so you might have to figure it out for yourself.

Seriously though, I listen to way too much music, and I can honestly say that MY HEAD IS AN ANIMAL is one of 2012's most satisfying releases. It's a great album to explore, but it's also nice to just have in the background. The melodies and harmonies are all strong, the instrumentation is wonderful, and the arrangements are all very tasteful. The band utilizes two vocalists: one male, one female. Their harmonies melt together in such a way that is reminiscent of THE XX. This album is a treat.

This album makes me feel guilty about giving other records out there 5-stars. MY HEAD IS AN ANIMAL is a consistently satisfying album by a band that everyone should be keeping their eye on. I would recommend this music to most anyone, but especially those who enjoy Mumford and Sons', Arcade Fire, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. Essential tracks to sample/download: "Little Talks," "From Finner," and "Dirty Paws."
on March 13, 2015
I have to say, I really enjoy the tracks on this album, from Icelandic folk-pop band, 'Of Monsters and Men'. I feel this album is really consistent from start to finish, and a really upbeat vibe; moving from track to track, with ease. I purchased this album, without knowing too much about the band, and because I liked their song 'King and Lionheart'. After listening to the album for the first time, I was hooked; it quickly became a regularly played cd in my collection. Personally, I love 'Folk-Pop' music, and loved the unique riffs and instruments played throughout the compositions. I would say, if you're a fan of 'Mumford and Sons', or 'Imagine Dragons', you'll love 'Of Monsters and Men'.