Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on April 19, 2016
Easy read, and it held my interest. I was disappointed that the details the writer used regarding heaven, weren't very explicit. I found some of the experiences that this gentleman had to be a little odd. Talking to the Apostle Peter like he was talking to a security guard at Walmart seemed a little strange to me. My mind pictures heaven to be a more spiritual place than what was described. I liked the book 90 Minutes in Heaven a lot more. Maybe this description is accurate, we will all find out someday.
on September 16, 2012
I found this book a compelling read...who doesn't want to know what Heaven is like. We have all heard that those who go through the light don't want to come back.
Marvin Besteman, a stubborn Dutchman as he calls himself, was just operated on for a pancreatic tumor. He was in such pain the night after the surgery, and all of a sudden he felt himself floating free. No tubes, needles! For months after this experience he doesn't tell anyone.
The first person is his wife Ruth, and when she asked him if he had thought of her, he told her no. Was she disappointed? I think what happened was it was all so wonderful, that he didn't have time to think of anyone. What he describes is so very very wonderful, no wonder he didn't want to return.
I have recently lost my Husband, this book really touched my heart, and gave me a lot of peace. Marvin describes in detail the babies...lots and lots of them. In all stages of development from a few week old fetus to a full term. I have also lost a 77 day old infant, and to hear that they were all happy and laying on grass ...softer than any blanket. He said he didn't see anyone taking care of them, but knew some how they were all fine.
The colors he describes, the gates, the stone walls, and the throne. I could see it all through his eyes.
I will pass this book on for others to read, and I'm so glad I was given this opportunity to absorb all that is presented.
Of course I wanted more, and would have loved to sit down and speak personally with Marvin, but now it can never by. He did leave again and Saint Peter opened the gate earlier this year.

I received this book from the publisher Revell, and was not required to give a positive review.
22 comments| 225 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 11, 2018
I enjoyed this book because I have had the wonderful opportunity to meet many people whom have left this world to the next life in a better place because of my own experiences with my own family n when working so close with the elderly n mostly a friend of mine that will be leaving us soon to be in this wonderful place that Marv has spoke about in this book .
on April 7, 2013
This was one of the best books I've ever read. Marvin, the author, has such a way of telling his story that you don't want to put it down. It made me want to go to heaven right now. I've always believed in Heaven but this was such an insight. My 47yr old husband passed away recently and I've been searching for something that could give me insight as to what he's seeing and if he is watching over me. This book gave me everything I was looking for and so much more. His story and the way he tells it, it a blessing from God for all of us left here to deal with loss and grief. I will definately recommend this book and have already shared it with others.
on August 18, 2017
this was good, yet it seems that all books I have read about 'returning from heaven'--well, it is THAT person's 'interpretation'...albeit heaven is a wonderful place, and we will not want to leave once we get there.
on April 23, 2016
This is a dear book. The author is very frank about his experience, which he initially was silent about, but couldn't keep inside. This is a family man who dearly loved and was loved. His recounting is very personal and will offer hope and faith to anyone who reads this. Great, and easily read.
on February 18, 2015
When I started reading this book I want sure what to expect. Would it be like the book heaven is for real?
Boy was I surprised. I can honestly say that after reading this book I feel relief. Marvin's description of heaven, the people there, the beauty, the music is what I have always hoped heaven would be. Seeing family and friends who have passed on before me waiting there with a smile, beckoning me to come in.
Marvin explained things in such detail that I was able to visualize it without a problem. Some references to the bible and to life I had would have never made that connection. But after reading it, it was as if I had an ah moment.
This book is well worth the read. Take your time enjoy the book, look at the scripture he mentions, reflect upon what you are reading. Is this what you visualized heaven to be? Are you positive without a doubt that you well end up there? If so great, what are Yolo going to do to continue to ensure you will arrive there? If not what changes will you be making in your life to get you to those gets of heaven?
on February 3, 2014
Of the many testimonies I have heard, I will have to say this testimony has given me the most comfort, having recently lost my own spouse. With a lot of compassion he expressed his desire to be in heaven, but in a way that did not diminish his love for his family. The pain of loss can be overwhelming at times and his testimony brings a peace for the one left here. Marv reaches the gates of heaven and is greeted by Peter. While waiting for a decision that he 'stay or go back, and he does not want to go back, he sees people from his past that helped him in his Christian walk, as well as his son in law who had died two months previous. He is unable to 'enter through the gates - - that day' but can see through them and the wonderful things of heaven. And at times, even when he is surprised by what he views, not being able to adequately describe it, he tells what he saw. Having known the pain of loss of his own infant son, he is shown many babies and tells of their care. Not coming from a church where dancing and raising hands is a familiar practice, he is surprised that worship in heaven is just that. With a grin he says that he might even dare to try it in his own conservative church one day. The reader of this audiobook is the 'perfect choice' bringing the 'perfect emphasis' - a match that must have been decided in heaven. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

The reader of this story is really able to draw you in and I look forward to hearing it again.
on August 9, 2014
After losing my beloved father three weeks ago, I have been wrestling with the whys, and where's of death. My father had become my child for the last few hears and left this earth with his mind intact, although his body was just plain "busted"… As A nurse and his firstborn I basically was in charge of trying to keep him here on earth and alive· I didn't make it to the hospital the night he died and to be honest he probably wanted it that way,since he knew that in my selfish naive way I would have done everything to keep him here on earth . He fought hard the last few months and we left nothing unsaid. He was a Christian and I know that his welcoming committee at those gates were his seven siblings, his parents and all his baseball and basketball and football friends he coached and coached with. Heaven has a wonderful Angel and no doubt he was met with the words "welcome good and faithful servant" . My children lost a wonderful, kind, and God fearing role model. But he himself gained the kingdom of heaven. I am forever changed and we will meet again Dad. Save a place for me....
on November 17, 2014
I found Mr. Besteman's book after reading (and feeling extreme dissatisfaction) with another book that's gotten a lot more media coverage and claimed to have "proof" of an afterlife. This book, by Marvin Besteman, was superior by far. He didn't make grandiose claims, had a self-effacing humor about his story and appeared to be sincere in wanting to share what was a life-changing experience. I didn't once suspect that this man was sharing his story to gain from it in any way except to help other people.

The book's tone was chatty and warm, and this was not a difficult read. Short and sweet! Really sweet. In fact, I was so moved by the book that I googled his name about thirty seconds after reading the final page and left a note to say how much the book had meant to me. I honestly didn't want the book to end.

Provided much comfort to me...as I am grieving the loss of my father, who died in August of this year.