Hill Climb Racing 2 Check out Santa's new ride Beauty Best Books of the Year Cyber Monday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Echo Dot Cyber Monday Deals: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on September 16, 2012
I found this book a compelling read...who doesn't want to know what Heaven is like. We have all heard that those who go through the light don't want to come back.
Marvin Besteman, a stubborn Dutchman as he calls himself, was just operated on for a pancreatic tumor. He was in such pain the night after the surgery, and all of a sudden he felt himself floating free. No tubes, needles! For months after this experience he doesn't tell anyone.
The first person is his wife Ruth, and when she asked him if he had thought of her, he told her no. Was she disappointed? I think what happened was it was all so wonderful, that he didn't have time to think of anyone. What he describes is so very very wonderful, no wonder he didn't want to return.
I have recently lost my Husband, this book really touched my heart, and gave me a lot of peace. Marvin describes in detail the babies...lots and lots of them. In all stages of development from a few week old fetus to a full term. I have also lost a 77 day old infant, and to hear that they were all happy and laying on grass ...softer than any blanket. He said he didn't see anyone taking care of them, but knew some how they were all fine.
The colors he describes, the gates, the stone walls, and the throne. I could see it all through his eyes.
I will pass this book on for others to read, and I'm so glad I was given this opportunity to absorb all that is presented.
Of course I wanted more, and would have loved to sit down and speak personally with Marvin, but now it can never by. He did leave again and Saint Peter opened the gate earlier this year.

I received this book from the publisher Revell, and was not required to give a positive review.
22 comments| 222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2016
Easy read, and it held my interest. I was disappointed that the details the writer used regarding heaven, weren't very explicit. I found some of the experiences that this gentleman had to be a little odd. Talking to the Apostle Peter like he was talking to a security guard at Walmart seemed a little strange to me. My mind pictures heaven to be a more spiritual place than what was described. I liked the book 90 Minutes in Heaven a lot more. Maybe this description is accurate, we will all find out someday.
on July 15, 2014
I always find it fascinating to read people's accounts of NDEs. This book is no exception but I must say it was one of my least favorites of this genre. Without getting too philosophical, I do understand that every person's NDE experience is filtered through their own personal belief system. In this case that person was a somewhat mysogynist (all Angels are male) older man with decidedly traditional Christian beliefs about the afterlife. So indeed he went to the gates of Heaven and met St. Peter who looked up his name in a book and failed to find it. His descriptions of Heaven are therefore limited to what he could see from the gate, as St. Peter would not allow him to pass. Nevertheless, he was able to observe enough to bring him much personal comfort and that is really the point. For many traditional Christians, this book will also bring them comfort that a promised Heaven awaits them. The writer's NDE experience, while seemingly genuine, also seems rather predictable. Additionally, the book is not very well written and contains quite a lot of "filler" material. Most importantly, I did not come away feeling as though I had learned anything new from this man's encounter with the devine, which was disappointing.
on April 29, 2017
This journey account just wasn't what I was expecting. Any journey to heaven has to be exciting to the one experiencing it, but it seemed to me the author was writing his autobiography and inserting bits of his heaven experience in between his life story. Half way through the book I was quickly scanning pages for parts of his journey to heaven.
on May 24, 2017
I have read a couple of other books on Heaven. I remember after my mom died, I read a book about angels and Heaven. I felt like I needed to know what my mom was experiencing. Now Shane is gone. Again, I felt the need to know where he is. I miss him so much!!!
on April 7, 2013
This was one of the best books I've ever read. Marvin, the author, has such a way of telling his story that you don't want to put it down. It made me want to go to heaven right now. I've always believed in Heaven but this was such an insight. My 47yr old husband passed away recently and I've been searching for something that could give me insight as to what he's seeing and if he is watching over me. This book gave me everything I was looking for and so much more. His story and the way he tells it, it a blessing from God for all of us left here to deal with loss and grief. I will definately recommend this book and have already shared it with others.
on November 9, 2017
I really enjoyed this book because it is spiritually uplifting. It causes me to think now about going to Heaven and not to do anything stupid here on earth that would prevent me from being acceptable to Our Precious Lord in Heaven!
on August 18, 2017
this was good, yet it seems that all books I have read about 'returning from heaven'--well, it is THAT person's 'interpretation'...albeit heaven is a wonderful place, and we will not want to leave once we get there.
on December 23, 2013
There are a few books now revealing glimpses of the glory awaiting believers in heaven. Marvin shares his experience and reveals things personal and precious to him. It seems each author has different experiences on their respective journeys. Marc shares sights not seen by others. Each experiences the glory of heaven and of God Himself. Marc adds important details for us to ponder. Read and enjoy his trip to heaven for yourself. You will be blessed by reading.
on April 23, 2016
This is a dear book. The author is very frank about his experience, which he initially was silent about, but couldn't keep inside. This is a family man who dearly loved and was loved. His recounting is very personal and will offer hope and faith to anyone who reads this. Great, and easily read.