Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

My Kindle is frozen.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 114 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2008, 12:51:12 PM PST
Harried Dad says:
The screen is nearly black, with a few horizontal lines across the top.
I tried the reset inside the back, to no avail. Is there a hard reset?
Short of sending it back and getting a new one, is there anything I can do?
It was not damaged, dropped, crushed or anything.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008, 12:56:30 PM PST
I have read that removing the battery for a bit, then replacing it and rebooting sometimes solves the "frozen Kindle" issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008, 1:25:23 PM PST
Sean M. says:
Is it fully charged?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008, 4:27:54 PM PST
D. Freeman says:
Mine has frozen twice. Both times turning it off, praying really hard, and then turning it back on 5 or 6 times (with more prayers in between) seemed to work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008, 5:30:00 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008, 7:44:53 PM PST
I hope you all forgive me for stating the obvious, but I think folks should keep a log of this kind of problem. If you note the date, time** and a definitive description of the problem, you will benefit Amazon as well as other Kindle owners when/if it comes to returns or refunds. Even if you do seem to solve the problem yourself, it's a good idea to keep a record of how you accomplished the "fix." **I doubt that the time will really be important, but you might as well record it with the other info.

Don't you think the detailed info is important in case some of the problems cease to occur beyond a certain date--which might relate to increased quality control, etc. on the assembly line or some sort of positive redesign?

I'm sure these occurrences are more than frustrating, but it seems pretty apparent that most of us Kindle owners are ego-involved in the success of this product, not only because of all the money we've spent on it, but because it's potentially a great device.
Ginny

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008, 9:24:39 PM PST
I removed the battery, hard reset, it is full recharged, etc. I have tried all combinations. Next step is sending it back to Amazon. Frustrating.
We were on a boat touring the Florida Keys and South Beach for New Years and I was turning everyone on to the Kindle. People were engrossed in my books purchased, and ex-pats were reading the Wash Post and NYTimes. And life was good. Then poof. To black.
Thanks for any and all hope. Fragility is an issue with these device. The glass and plastic etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008, 9:25:17 PM PST
Yes fully charged.
Thanks. Any help is appreciated

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008, 11:51:42 PM PST
It sounds like your problem was more severe, but my Kindle "hangs" relatively frequently. I haven't been able to identify a pattern yet for what makes it freeze up; I thought for a while it might be triggered by activity on the wireless connection, but I just had my Kindle hang while the wireless was off. I was using the menu "roller/button", which has been a common thread, I believe. I don't think I've had the Kindle hang while just paging through a document.

My Kindle just "locks up" with the screen frozen with whatever it was displaying, and it doesn't respond to any buttons, nor can it be turned off with the power switch. It has always come back by pressing the end of a paper clip through the Reset hole on the back for a short time (a simple "click" doesn't seem to be sufficient). I just keep an "opened up" paper clip with my Kindle, and when it hangs, I press the Reset until the screen flashes and the Kindle starts a reboot cycle. It takes a minute or so to finish, but then it restarts at the Home screen, and document positions seem to be remembered even from when it hung up.

I check the Kindle Support section of Amazon periodically, hoping they will develop a patch/update download facility. At some point I'll probably try the support communication on the website, but until they can download fixes, it's not going to matter much to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008, 5:11:09 PM PST
If a reset doesn't clear your Kindle or it hangs up repeatedly, I'd report it. I've seen several posts where Amazon replaced Kindles that froze repeatedly. It could easily be a hardware problem versus a software one. In either case, it doesn't hurt to have a note of the problem in your file in case you do have to follow up later.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008, 9:37:37 PM PST
Vivien Ng says:
My Kindle locked up for the first time today--I've had it for less than one month. Now I know that it's a common problem. I contacted Amazon customer service immediately but they were not helpful. I'm glad that I found this discussion thread through Google. Pressing the Reset worked for me too. Thank you very much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008, 11:08:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2008, 11:34:08 PM PST
T. Feeley says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 10:56:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2008, 11:10:47 AM PST
I am having a different sort of problem. I have a white line down the middle of the display. I also have shadows. Not the normal shadows you get with e-ink, but I can clearly read them, including the "sleep" screens and menu boxes, sometimes 2 or 3 previous pages. Shadows remain when power is turned off as well. I tried restarting and resetting, to no avail. I sent an email to support, but I wanted to know if anyone else is having similar issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 1:32:17 PM PST
Brent says:
Nope, haven't had any problems like that. Methinks you'll be getting a new Kindle soon....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 2:08:33 PM PST
whiterabbit says:
How often do these freezing issues occur? It makes me a little concerned (I'm on the waiting list for my Kindle). Looks like a large number (?) of people are experiencing glitches. If it just requires a reset no big deal, but the initial post in this thread sounds like a serious problem. Sorry to hear it by the way, P. McCartt. And S Canavan also seems to have a pretty annoying problem. What's up with that? How many people have had to exchange their Kindle after waiting for it for infinity-and-a-day?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 2:28:19 PM PST
Harried Dad says:
I/they could not reset my Kindle, even after customer support took me through a whole series of steps that involved me including my wife in on the operation helping to push buttons.

Amazon was pretty quick to send me a new one, and all seems OKay minus the 2.5 weeks I was without the device (I did survive).

I will add that I really like the unit, use it and do expect the price to come down but there are some pretty hot little computers out there for this price that are already doing all this does and a lot more. And like I said in another post on this thread, there are several other eInk devices that are coming out soon, check out First Paper, Llc. And I know that books are in black and white and all that, but color is what will take this space to a whole new level.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 3:43:14 PM PST
whiterabbit says:
P. McCart, good to hear that Amazon was at least decent about it (the "series of steps" they put you through doesn't sound like much fun though). Thanks for the info on First Paper. I will definitely check it out. I'm glad to hear the replacement is working well for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 4:17:30 PM PST
Brent says:
sweet: There's no way of knowing the stats. That said, there are an awful lot of Kindles being sold, and we're a bit myopic here because the problems are stated obviously and in public. It's a bit like being on a tech support line; because we hear about all the problems, we tend to have a different view of the device than the salespeople.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 5:21:41 PM PST
whiterabbit says:
Thanks Brent, point taken. Well I am on the waiting list for a Kindle (since Jan 12th) and plan on going through with the purchase. Kindle is too cool of a concept for me to turn down. If things improve over the years, as they are bound to (probably by breathtaking leaps and bounds the way technology goes), I will simply upgrade later on. But for right now, Kindle is a pretty sweet deal I think. I just hope I don't have to return mine for any reason. I don't know if I could handle the anticipation of waiting for a replacement... lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 6:17:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2008, 6:18:02 PM PST
Tom says:
My first Kindle froze after a month of perfect use. It actually would not charge at all. Amazon sent me a new one. But that one locked up the first day. It holds a charge about one day and then freezes and is completely drained after one day of use, with no wireless activity.
This is VERY troublesome. I have done all the trouble shooting with Kindle support. I am now waiting on my THIRD Kindle. This is not cool. Very very inconvenient. But even worse, I no longer have confidence in this device.
I love it. It's the greatest. But the quality control, at least in my case, is disgraceful. What are the chances that I have had 2 defective Kindles in a row?
The first one, worked flawlessly for over a month. Then, one morning, frozen and would not charge.
I don't have a good feeling about this iteration of the Kindle.
Something is VERY wrong with the hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 8:44:05 PM PST
Brent says:
Tom wrote, "What are the chances that I have had 2 defective Kindles in a row?"

In your case, very good. ;-)

Seriously, I feel your pain; that must be frustrating.

On the other hand, if lots of people buy a particular device, and there's even a small failure rate, SOMEONE'S going to get two defective devices, right? It's not totally impossible, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 8:49:00 PM PST
Trapper says:
Yes, it's happened with mine as well in it getting "frozen." Once it happened and I called Amazon and they said they thought it was due to them upgrading hardware on the "system" but then while I was talking it started working again. Then another time it happened while a book I purchased was downloading and I was trying to surf (there I think I overloaded it). Both times it reset itself (signed back on itself).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008, 5:59:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2008, 6:00:31 AM PST
I got my Kindle last Thursday after a 6 and a half week wait and a week after people who had ordered theirs 5-7 days after me. It froze up in an hour. After working with the nice folks at the help phone number--nice, but not very helpful, since this sounds like a hardware issue--they said they would send me a new one...in 7-10 business days. Another 2 weeks! Worse yet, my account says it will be shipped in 4-6 weeks (early March). The good news is that it now says "Shipping Soon" and that I cannot cancel, so perhaps I will get it before I grow too much older. For a product that is designed to give instant gratification (I want to read this book NOW), they sure are trying our patience.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008, 8:13:14 PM PST
J. Moll says:
I got mine today and ... yes it froze. I called the "no"support center and they did they usual with a pointless series of key strokes ending with a reset. To no avail, I was told they would send a new one in 7 to 10 days, though I had waited nearly 4 weeks to get this one. Amazon has seriously mismanaged this roll-out and worse the support they're providing does not tend to build ones confidence that Amazon can produce, market and support a product successfully. Further, they seem to have a somewhat cavalier attitude to technical issues and providing effective support.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2008, 10:12:47 AM PST
Harried Dad says:
My new Kindle seems to be working just fine for the last 2 weeks - there is a faint 'burn-in' but nothing terrible. The USB battery charger is abysmal - a trickle of power that must take 24 hours to fully charge (I don't know b/c I haven't waited long enough). The in-wall charger works fine mind you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  82
Total posts:  114
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 5, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers