Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 55 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 72 reviews
on August 17, 2015
This book is basic. Its as though it was a middle school project by a kid who had his chef connected parent's rolodex. There are virtually no photos of food and only a couple of the photos, Lydia, Anthony, Daniel, are worth having on your table. Wanted to love it. Wanted there to be a photo of food somewhere. I'm returning this.
What an interesting thesis! What would be the last supper of a series of fine chefs! Melanie Dunea, the author, notes (page 7): "Chefs have been playing the 'My Last Supper' game, in one version or another, since humans first gathered round the flames to cook. . . . "If you were to die tomorrow, what single dish, what one mouthful of food, would you choose as your last?"

And then, we see the answer to that existential question by 50 chefs.

Anthony Bourdain says that his final dish would be: "Roast bone marrow with parsley and caper salad, with a few toasted slices of baguette and some good sea salt." So far, so good. We see his recipe for the marrow at the end of the book, and it's a bit different!

What about Mario Batali? He'd like his last meal on the Amalfi Coast, with his family and friends such as Emeril Lagasse. The meal itself? Eight to ten courses! Beginning with marinated anchovies, to a Neapolitan version of a grilled cheese sandwich, to . . . And on it goes. He gives us a recipe for one item, Shrimp in Crazy Water--but not the rest. Would have been fun to get the whole picture.

Then, Alain Ducasse. He would begin with a coponata (a Sicilian specialty), then roasted quail in Madiran wine sauce, then smooth celeriac puree with nutmeg, and a finish with apple slices. Again, boy, I'd like to see all of the recipes, although his Melt-in-Your-Mouth Apple Slices, which is included in the volume, looks pretty good.

And on it goes. It's kind of fun to see what these fine chefs would have as their last meal, whom they would like to done with, whom they would like to cook the meal, where they would like the meal to take place. I find this work enchanting. But, again, I'd sure like to see all of the recipes for those final meals, rather than the small selection. Without that, this seems just a bit incomplete. Still and all, this is a neat volume.
55 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2015
Asking people for their ultimate food fantasy is a great dinner-party game. This is a delightful collection that touches on so many levels of food and living . . . and dying. What a treat!
on March 13, 2017
Beautiful book! My fiancé is a CIA trained chef & restaurant owner. He is really looking forward to reading it.
on October 21, 2014
Wow what a big disappointment! I heard the author on NPR a few years ago and then recently purchased the book. I thought how wonderful, not only will I see what their last feast will look like but read the background and a few recipies. WRONG!!!!! Turns out it's just 6 questions with at most three sentences and a full size picture of the chef. Big deal..... Not. I was hoping to be wowed by the culinary sights and ideas... This is more a ode to the chefs narcissism then a culinary insight.
on December 6, 2016
Great stories...It was nice to have a little insight into these great chefs. The locales described sound wonderful.

And the recipes...oh yeah...I don't cook very well, but the recipes made me want to learn a little.
on January 18, 2012
I purchased this book through the Amazon Marketplace from midtownscholarbookstore. The original book I recieved was damaged, so I contacted the seller via email. I recieved a response the next day. The seller apologized for the damaged book, and sent a new copy. I am very happy with this resolution and would not hesitate to purchase books from this seller again.

The book itself is a fascinating journey into the minds of today's culinary leaders. It makes an exellent gift for a chef or anyone with a special interest in the gourmet food & beverage industry. There is a second volume of 50 additional chef profiles available by the same author.
on January 9, 2015
Gorgeous, gorgeous BIG book! Beautifully bound, superb artistic photography with delightful text! My expectations were high when I ordered this and it is truly even more than I wished for! Purchased as a gift for a "foodie" it was the star of the day!! I most certainly will be purchasing the sequel, "my Last Supper II."
on November 21, 2007
This is the first time I've felt compelled to review anything on Amazon but I'm a total foodie and I enjoyed browsing through this book so much. The photos are amazing. Each one is staged so differently and has a completely different feel. It really gives you a view into the chef's personality that I haven't seen elsewhere. In fact, some of these chefs I had only read about but had never seen a photo of, like Lydia Shire or Ferran Adria. Melanie Dunea really knows how to entertain with her photographs. I could look at them for hours. What the chefs say about their last meals is also really interesting to read. It also made me hungry. I highly recommend this book for foodies and anyone interested in the chef culture, or anyone else. It's highly entertaining and would make a great gift (I bought an extra for my friend who is also a foodie).
on May 22, 2016
I got this as a gift for a friend who is a really great cook and he loved it. It is very unique and is a great gift for a home cook or chef who as every other cookbook known to man.