Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Fergie PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 255 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 396 reviews
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2015
There is something distinctly relatable about My Left Foot for me personally. I was born with cerebral palsy and have had to endure numerous people tell me that I couldn’t do things and tell my mother that I wouldn’t amount to anything. But much like Christy Brown, I had a very strong mother and a will that I wasn’t just going to sit in the corner and drool on myself all day. While I am no world renowned writer and painter, I related very strongly to the main character in this film including his struggles with relationships with the opposite sex.

Beyond my personal story, Daniel Day Lewis delivered a spectacular performance because it is really difficult to play someone that physically disabled because you have to treat the real life person with respect, while making it look believable. I totally forgot that Daniel Day Lewis was an able-bodied actor during that one hour forty minutes. That proves he was well worth the 1989 Academy Award.

The supporting actors deserve praise as well. The many actors who played the family at various stages really brought to life the struggle that many families with disabled relatives go through of how to involve their relative while struggling with how society may look at them. I also thought it was an interesting cinematic choice to tell the story as part of a series of flashbacks as Christy prepares to speak at this event. It is a technique that is rarely used well.

My Left Foot is a cinematic triumph and a personal triumph illustrative of the true possibilities of the human spirit. I wish I could give it six stars.
on October 6, 2016
The movie was informative and touched my wife who has a brother in like manner.
I did not think they needed to add the swearing in the movie it could have been easily omitted and have the same effect.
I believe this world has become so hardened that the use of words are even realize as an offense to others.
WITH BLU-RAY AND FULL MOVIE REVIEW

INTRO: Based on Christy Brown's autobiographical book by the same name, the movie My Left Foot is one of those exceptional tales of the human spirit told in an exceptional way. With very little melodrama, it allows us to be enlightened, amazed, and inspired while still seeing some of the subject's warts or imperfections. It can make us question our own excuses for not overcoming personal obstacles.

THE STORY: Legendary Irish author and painter Christy Brown was born with cerebral palsy to a poor working class family in Dublin 1932. Despite recommendations from doctors to put him in a home, the large family insists on the challenge of caring for him themselves. With all the physical debilitations of CP, the one limb that Christy can effectively control and manipulate is his left foot. The movie depicts a somewhat hard bitten family that struggles for subsistence and sleeps in communal beds. Christy is well loved and protected, but there is a certain acceptance that he cannot communicate or even understand his surroundings to some degree. The family may display some of those harsh stereotypes (at least as the movie depicts), but when push comes to shove, don't mess with the family! Despite preconceptions, Christy will show sparks of intelligence and understanding as he catches his family's attention, then shows inner brilliance with opportunities of education that present themselves. One could say the economic reality itself would have been a great barrier to success, let alone the challenge of CP. However, we see how Christy not only improves his situation with his disability, but turns that very condition into a path to success in a way. Of course he has help and is pushed at times by those who loved him. This is not a canonization of a perfect individual. Just a story of triumph despite all one's flaws.

OTHER THOUGHTS: It was heartening to see the community congeal around Christy and include him in the simplest activities such as a game of football. Even hilarious as much as it was touching. Seeing the family protect each other in a scrap with another party over a snide comment was a highlight of the whole movie! I have to admit this is one of those stories I will remember and ask myself what the excuse is when I am feeling sorry for myself, or that I can't do something. Every person has a hidden corner of exceptionality waiting inside of us. This is an extraordinary tale of someone who found it against all odds.

REMASTERED BLU RAY EDITION: The 2015 release of the 1989 movie has received a restoration for all new picture quality that is quite excellent overall. The colors are very good. The film has little grain and it appears they opted for a smooth look (rather than sharper, but with more grain). I was very happy overall with the upgrade. I didn't expect reference quality from an 80's movie. Though the colors are very good, there is also a very slight washed look that I think was part of the color pallet. Here are other specs on this disc: Blu Ray features 1080p video, a lossless 5.1 soundtrack, and supplements include: The Real Christy Brown and An Inspirational Journey: The Making of My Left Foot. 1:85:1 aspect ratio. Subtitles/Captions English SDH, Spanish

ACCOLADES: Daniel Day-Lewis won the first of his three (time of writing this) Leading Actor awards for his performance. Brenda Fricker also won best Supporting Actress. The film received a total of 5 Academy Award nominations including best picture and best director. It also won many other awards outside the Oscars.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on September 6, 2016
it was pretty good but the cussing was really a lot for me to handle. I love seeing that a family loves each other no matter what the circumstances may be. this movie is a great inspiration to families with a handicap member. Each person brings value to another. Life is precious and the way the brothers interacted with him was priceless.
on March 29, 2017
This was recommended to me but i have to say that i wasn't impressed with it. Perhaps i had too high of expectations.
on September 11, 2004
Parents out there: let me put it to you this way...My parents are very conservative, but appreciate great acting when they see it. So, G and only some PG movies were my only viewings. At the age of 7, my mother saw this on VHS, she immediately had me watch it with the rest of the family.

This movie will reach your inner soul and make you see that physical and mental disabilities only hold a person back if they let it. This story of Christy Brown, who was born with cerebral palsy teaches himself and learns to paint and write with his only controllable limb - his left foot. It's based on his autobiography which he typed one letter at a time on his typewriter.

Now, I do admit that you'll have trouble understanding Christy sometimes, caused by his disease. My family had me "translate" what they couldn't understand (I was deaf for a short time of my life, so I related more to the story).

When I have children, I plan to allow them to watch this life changing movie. I will forever remember it, because the true story of Christy Brown touched me deeply. Wait until you see it, you'll know what I'm talking about afterwards.
on September 28, 2016
It was a little dated, but still worth watching
on January 9, 2017
My second time watching - it's good enough to see more than once. Daniel Day-Lewis is incredible as Christy Brown and the supporting actors were great as well. One of the best films of all time.
on July 27, 2017
astounding Daniel Day-Lewis
on December 24, 2016
A wonderful, touching and bloody funny film in parts - but as based on a true story it deserves the praise and awards. Acting is very good, especially the ma and da. The young Christy Brown actor deserved a lot of praise for setting up the whole film for Daniel Day Lewis to finish it all off brilliantly. Minor parts well cast.