Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Format: Board book|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,024 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,157 reviews
on November 25, 2010
I ordered 3-4 "new baby" type books when our daughter was 19 months old. All such books seem to be rated for older children and receive mixed reviews, so it was difficult to evaluate them sight unseen. Since every child is unique and it can be difficult to predict even your own child's reactions, I figured I would aim wide and just see what stuck for her. After having them all around for a while and evaluating, this book wins the popularity contest so far.

The other books all have more text and busier pictures than this one. Although I certainly greatly simplify the text in all of them as we read, there's no other that comes close to holding my daughter's attention as well as "My New Baby". Its text is very simple - no more than 2 short sentences per page. As I saw she liked this book, I began to substitute my daughter's name in for references to the older sibling, which seems to enhance her interest.

The book does not contain a story line. Instead, it is a collection of snapshots of daily life with a baby in the house: Lunch time, getting dressed, going for a walk, bed time, etc. I think this is one of the reasons that it's popular with my daughter. At her age it can be a challenge to sustain focus for a lengthy story. This book doesn't require that, yet allows her to be introduced to the idea of having a baby around her parents along with her, and how they might all do things together.

If your child is 2 or under and you are expecting a new baby, I definitely recommend this book.
0Comment| 481 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2017
We purchased this book for my toddler son when we told him that we were expecteing baby #2. The illustrations are simple, but colorful.

The book itself doesn't have a storyline. Each page contains a simple sentence or two, many with a question: "Why is the baby always sleeping?"

One nice perk to this book is that several pages show the mother breastfeeding. We found this to be a nice way to help normalize breastfeeding for our older child.
on January 11, 2016
The "story line" in this book would be geared toward about 18 months to 2 years. The sentences are choppy and simplistic. I bought it for my 3 year old and felt that it was too young, but have enjoyed "reading" the story to her and talking about the photos. I basically make up my own story so that it is interested as I'd like her to see the photos of concepts not found in other book. I like that it incorporates baby wearing, nursing, etc. which I will be doing when baby #2 arrives. I also appreciate that it shows the differences between what she will be doing and what baby will be doing. She will continue to use the potty where baby will have to have diaper changes, etc.
on September 21, 2016
Terribly lame book introducing your first born to the upcoming arrival of your second child. Extremely disappointed with this book, only offers a couple questions about the upcoming baby's arrival. Perhaps if you have an older child it would work for you and offer discussion points, but its a disappointment and falls short of talking about "waiting for baby" to arrive.
on July 3, 2017
Excellent for showing toddler all the great things they can do as a "big sibling". Kids are 22 months apart and helps the older understand/fee special about being the big sister. Love that the kids are gender neutral so can be boys or girls, sisters or brothers depending on the situation.
on July 1, 2016
It's a good size book, the illustrations are very cute however I HATE the story line. It's a whole bunch of random questions about the expectant baby. I would of preferred an actual short story, or something that brings attention to Pregnancy, and why things are changing, like why you have to be gentle around mom's belly, maybe a simple explanation for mom going away for a few hospital days, Idk, something other than random unanswered questions. My son is two, and I'm disappointed in this book for him. I ordered him a coloring book called our new baby, and the storyline for that I like way better!
VINE VOICEon May 13, 2016
My New Baby goes through the many thoughts that a young sibling may have regarding a new baby in the house. Some examples are, "Is the baby hungry?", "This baby smells nice," "Is the baby clean yet?". The text is very simple, and easy for young children to relate to . Most of the book is about the pictures. Little ones will enjoy the big, colorful illustrations that show family life with a baby. They offer a chance to discuss what life with the new baby will be like. Two points I thought were nice were that the baby was being breast-fed, and that the older sibling didn't feel like she was left out - she received a present, she helped take care of the baby, and she had her own story time at bed time.

My New Baby is a good book for children ages 2 - 5 who have a new baby brother or sister.

-Sherry Ellis
Author of That Baby Woke Me Up, AGAIN!
on July 6, 2014
The illustrations are not too busy and the pictures are large on the page. Only one to two sentences per page, so it has a board book feel. The mom is breastfeeding (no bottle), which is good. However, I don't like all the dialogue. One of the pages says "Presents for the new baby! Is this for me?" and shows the older sibling getting a huge present. Another page says "Why is the baby crying? Can we make it stop?" and "Smile for the photo. Is the baby still asleep?" random... - I guess I could make up my own dialogue to the pages since the illustrations are nice and my 18month son can't read anyway. And, I am sure some of the dialogue is meant to be a conversation starter between you and your child, but I think that the story could be better. I bought this and another book that is okay (I'm a big brother by Joanna Cole). I do prefer this book for the age, but since I didn't love either of them I am inspired to make my own book. I'm printing out relevant pictures and creating a story with a small blank hardcover book (bought on Amazon for $4) - I think that seeing mommy and daddy with a newborn, as well as pictures of a baby swaddled, crying, bathed, etc. is going to be more realistic and familiar, and better prep.
on July 27, 2016
Perhaps this is a great book. The problem for me is my little one is 18 months old and she can't understand what is going on. I was hoping that this book would help her to start to get that she was soon going to have a baby sister, but this book didn't seem to do the trick. She loves reading books and this one is no different. We read it probably once a day but she has no idea what the theme of the book is and it hasn't shed any light on the fact that we will soon have a new addition at our house.
on September 1, 2016
We love this book! It's bright and colorful, with cute pictures explaining being a big sibling to a new baby.
It really helped our toddler son understand ( as well as the other book in the series" Waiting for Baby") about being a big brother and having a little brother. ( On side note the book can easily be for a big sister etc).
The book covers mommy feeding baby ( breastfeeding), holding baby, changing baby, the baby receiving gifts, why does baby eat milk, baby sleeping, even has babbywearing, bath time, even potty training for big sibling, and at the end special bonding time just for big sibling! We read this a few weeks and up to our little ones arrival. We even brought it to the hospital. I also recommend reading it even a few months after baby has arrived. It helps!