Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 53 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 97 reviews
on September 25, 2008
My almost 2 year old and I just love this book. We make up our own story to it (it doesn't have any words), and it changes a little bit here and there. But I like that because I can point out different aspects of the situation to her. I like that it shows the mom breast feeding and dad helping out since that is similar to our situation. She loves it and I have seen her mimic it (holding the baby, helping get diapers/wipes, etc.) with her brand new baby cousin - without being taught or asked! She just saw the new baby and did it - like the big girl in the book. It is really amazing how children can learn from pictures while they are working on learning the words that goes with them.
on January 27, 2008
I did quite a bit of research before purchasing a book about our new baby for our 14 month old son. This book had good reviews, so I thought I'd give it a try. Our son loves it! The pictures are great. The pages display family members (mommy, daddy, new baby, and small boy) doing everyday activities like walking outside, taking a bath, playing with toys, eating dinner, going to bed, etc. The book has no text, so you can use your own words to describe the illustrations to your child. I also like that the book shows the mother breastfeeding the baby. Of the "new baby" books I've seen, this is the best of it's kind!
on January 1, 2015
I became pregnant when my son was only 9 months, so while we were excited for him to have a friend..we knew the adjustment might be difficult for him. I gave him this book towards the end of my pregnancy and he LOVED it :) This book doesn't have any words so it's open to interpretation. It does show the dad and older child (which appears to be a boy) together a lot while the mom is breastfeeding. I only breastfed my daughter for a couple of months so when we read the book after she was born we told him the mom was 'cuddling' the baby or sleeping with her.
When our daughter arrived, my son was a bit jealous but that wore off within a month and they have been inseparable ever since!!! Great book :)
on July 16, 2017
Helpful pics to explain breastfeeding to my toddlers.
on July 16, 2008
My DD is 2 1/2 an I am expecting a baby in August. This book is a great conversation starter. I am planning to breastfeed, and it tastefully shows the baby nursing, something which DD has been curious about on the rare occasion she sees someone nursing a baby. If you are against BF, this book may not be for you. I've taught my DD that babies can drink from their mommy or a bottle. In addition to the nursing, it shows the older sibling involved with "helping" in different ways after the new baby comes home, and closes with the older child having story time with Mommy and Daddy after the baby has been laid down to sleep, showing that they are still special and very loved just like the new baby.

The pictures are colorful, and I like that the kids are fairly gender neutral, so if we have a daughter when or baby-to-be is older, we can read this book to our son the same we we are reading it to our daughter.

DD loves talking about the pictures, and talking about her new baby brother, who is not even born yet.

Quite frankly, if you have to have text to be able to talk about the pictures with your child, don't buy this book. This was obviously designed for parents who want to help teach their toddlers to observe things visually, think about what they are seeing, and then communicate that to those who are "reading" with them.
on April 9, 2008
I absolutely adore this book! The lack of words (which my toddler rarely sits still long enough to hear anyway) means that you can make up explanations for and initiate conversations about the pictures that make sense for YOUR family.

I was delighted to see the emphasis on the positive aspects of having a new baby, as opposed to the "Mommy and Daddy don't love me anymore and I hate the baby" message a lot of these books seem to bear. Why plant negative ideas in your toddler's head when you can show them what a happy experience a new baby can be?

It's also wonderful that these pictures show an active and involved dad--dad takes the kids for a walk, daddy cooks dinner while mom nurses baby, dad changes baby's diaper, etc. So many other books seem to have forgotten about dad, and in my household (where dad takes equal responsibility for parenting duties), it's really important that dad be shown in a postivie light in these books.

Overall, I highly recommend this book to anyone who's preparing to add a new member to the family and wants to prepare their prechooler for all the fun and love there will be in the house after baby's arrival. Top-notch!
on February 7, 2014
Great picture book to explain to small kids about bringing home a baby brother or sister. You can invent your own story that works for your family. There aren't any words. This really helped us explain to our 18 month old about the new baby who would be coming home.
on August 24, 2009
Unlike most "my new baby sibling" books, this one does not presume that the older sibling is jealous or angry. Why program your kids to feel that if they do not? (Mine did not.) This book shows the older sibling HELPING with the baby and playing with the baby, both activities to encourage!

There are no words, and both children are drawn neutrally enough to be either gender, so you can tell the story in a way that matches your family. The gender ROLES in the book are also very well balanced; both parents nurture and care for the children (e.g., Daddy cooks while Mommy nurses).

We read this a lot around the delivery of our 2nd child (when the older was 2), and a year later, my older child will sometimes still pick it out to read. She likes being able to tell us what is happening in each picture (since there is not a set text to read or memorize).
on December 19, 2006
When we found out we were expecting our second child, we bought a few books for our son's age range, and this one is not his favorite. Perhaps it's because he can tell there isn't any real text to the story. Maybe I'm not the best narrator either...

I really like that Kubler includes moments like the mom nursing, the dad taking baby and the older child for a walk, the baby screaming while dad changes the diaper, the older child staying up later than the baby, etc. It's pretty cute that way, although I find a couple of the illustrations a bit too busy.

"The New Baby" from Usborne publishing is my son's favorite. I highly recommend that one to everybody. The illustrations are so cute and they, too, show the mommy breastfeeding. The text is simple yet thorough, explaining issues like the mom and new baby being very tired and needing lots of help from the dad and other kids. If you're looking for something a little more, shall we say, complete...I recommend the Usborne one.
on November 23, 2007
I agree with other reviewers...Mommy breastfeeds baby (how do I explain to my toddler about books that feature bottles when he and his new baby nurse???). Daddy helps by cooking, changing diapers, and it features "babywearing," as Daddy wears baby in a baby carrier. In addition, big brother helps, plays with the baby, holds the baby, while being very positive. Big brother is also featured dressing himself (showing that he is getting bigger while Daddy dresses baby), and it shows Mommy and Daddy reading to big brother (showing that he, too, still gets Mommy and Daddy's undivided attention at times). The lack of words allow parents and child to discuss pictures and make up their story. This is very empowering to the young child, and is necessary for "prereading". All in all a wonderful book, and a great present to big brother from the new baby.