Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning heera heera avfly_channel_heera  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 17 reviews
on January 22, 2006
At first I thought the story line was pretty cliche... nothing special. But boy was I in for a surprise. Katherine Sutcliffe has a way of weaving absolute magic with her words... I was hooked from the very first page; couldn't put it down -God knows I tried. I had a term paper due the very next day... but I just had to finish the book. It was addicting...

I adore the heroine. Her character is so heartwarming, so authentic. She's honest about her feelings and she loves her husband and son unconditionally. Even though she tends to keep things to herself, her action speaks for itself. She even takes care of her father and sister, even though they absolutely did not deserve her. Olivia is not a beauty... but her mind is sharp, and her heart is true... No wonder Miles fell in love with her.

I also like Miles very much. He's not the typical arrogant, emotionally scarred hero. He just wants a chance to prove his worth to himself, his family... and to Olivia. His dream is to have a home of his own and to gain respect from his peers. Unfortunately he is poor... though not because of a gambling like his brother believes... instead, he pours every last cent he has into supporting his mine. It is his ticket to achieving his dreams.

The relationship between Olivia and Miles is very real. I love how they react to each other... I love the things Olivia says, and I love the way Miles reacts to them.

Bryan is an adorable little boy. I love the way he has Miles tied up in knots with his innocent adoration of the man who saved his life.

My least favorite characters are Olivia's sister and father. But that's a given. I just don't understand how anyone can be so self-center and callous toward the woman who sacrafice so much so that she can be respected and happy. Olivia's loyalty is all the more admirable and heartbreaking because her father and sister couldn't care less if her reputation is ruined and she is married to a penniless, bastard son of an earl.

Nevertheless, through her own goodness, compassion and intelligence, Olivia is able to find her own happiness. Happy, happy ending for two well-deserved hero and heroine...
on January 30, 2012
I really looked forward to reading this book given the great reviews. I just didn't get it. There were parts that I had to flip through because they were so cliche. The "secret" is so obvious from the first chapter, and I didn't understand why she didn't tell Miles the truth before the last few pages. I am not a fan of angst in books just for angst sake, and there was plenty here. They didn't hate each other and they didn't try to get along, they just seemed to work really hard and misunderstand the other and being at cross purposes. And through the whole thing, I just didn't feel the love between these 2 people. And the mine and the mean sister and the mom were all really poorly written. I am still really confused about how this has so many great reviews, and more than a few mentions as the "best romance ever". Really? I thought about giving it 1 star, but decided that would be unfair since I did make it to the end, though barely.