Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 296 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 309 reviews
on January 13, 2013
I got a great deal on two Galaxy S3 smartphones for Christmas, so I finally retired my beloved flip phone took the leap! Well, I can tell you that if you are new to android devices, you need this book. I tried the Samsung download instruction book, and it simply did not do the job! People in my generation want and need an instruction book that they can hold in their hand and highlight, underline, etc. We want to interact with the instructions in a rational way while holding the device in our hands. I examined many of the Amazon books, and read the reviews carefully...what sold me were the screenshots. i have done some Instructional Design work in my career, and this book follows classic id principles. I have always advocated annotated screenshots aligned with clear sequential instructions for each task. This book does not assume that you already know ANYTHING; it starts from the beginning and lets you jump around as often as you need without getting lost. This was great buy!
0Comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2012
I am new user of smart phones. Picked up my Samsung Galaxy S 3 a couple of months ago. Have spent most of the time stumbling through how to use it. This book makes everything clear to me now. It is well organized and really beautiful in terms of design and layout. I am walking my way through it, chapter by chapter. It is so I am getting a lot out of it. If you are an old hand at smart phones and etc, you may not need the book. It is light years better than the owner's manual which I had to download from the Internet.
on April 8, 2013
I bought a book at Costco that covered all the Samsung Galaxy devices that I thought would be helpful to me when I first started up my new Galaxy S3....well, it wasn't. It was geared to people who had used smart phones in the past and it only explained some of the fancy stuff the Galaxy will do. THIS BOOK is amazing. It assumes you don't know doodley - and tells you where the microphone is....how to turn the thing off and on....how to get it out of the BLACK power saver screen. This is the best purchase I could have made. I haven't finished reading the book but I will because I want to make full use of my Galaxy. I want to add that when I was researching which smart phone to buy, I actually had an arrogant 20-something (son of a friend) programmer tell me that I should get an I-phone because they were "easier" to use and I could get help at the I-Phone store and that the Galaxy S3 was a superior phone but was really more suited to programmers. Well, that surely did tick me off. I have salt and pepper hair but my intellect is still very much intact thankyouverymuch. Galaxy wouldn't be selling these things like hotcakes if they were difficult to use........and for other seniors out there, it is a piece of cake - buy the book. You will be glad you did.
on February 24, 2013
I don't write reviews (this is my 1st ever); however, as an older, very non-technical, individual, I found this book well written from several standpoints. First, it is extremely well arranged with basically stand-alone chapters in the event the reader wants to learn something specific that is dealt with later in the book. Second, each topic is broken down into its smallest components AND so well illustrated, even someone who has never owned a "smartphone" can understand every aspect of this amazing product. A special kudos to Steve Schwartz who uses the English language properly. This book actually drove me to say "well done" and I am very happy to have found this title!
on April 25, 2013
I attended a Beginners crash course given by my cell phone provider PRIOR to getting my phone. The young man teaching the class was excellent and knowledgeable. However, it was bare basic info on how to turn your phone on and off, how to retrieve calls, etc. Anyone with any cell phone knowledge at all, as well as computer knowledge, would have found that class a waste of time. Such was the case with me. A friend suggested I pop over to Amazon and get a "dummies" book. Lord knows I have purchased many of those over the years, but never even thought of getting one for a smart phone. I found this book and an actual "dummies" book. I read reviews on each and chose this one. SMART MOVE! There have been a few things that I needed help with and did not find in the book, but was able to do a quick search online to get my answer. This book should be in the hands of anyone who is purchasing a Galaxy S III. I highly recommend it. Great graphics and easy to understand instructions.
on March 6, 2015
A very well written and logically thought out explanation of a device which would seem, at first glance (and nearly a year's use) to be inexplicable! Example. It has an index!! And you can actually look up a topic, page through the book to find it, and go back to the index (where you have carefully inserted a bookmark) and keep exploring without losing any reference. And you don't have to have the correct technical lingo - the book allows topics to be explored using regular English. You can take it with you, if necessary, without carrying a computer to carry the downloaded data books available from Samsung - they don't provide any hard or soft-covered copy with the phone. Mr Schwartz's specialty seems to be to provide well-written, readable, searchable information; in logical sequence; that a novice with the device - one who doesn't know the technical lingo in the first place - can use to find out how to do the multitude of things it seems to offer.
on April 25, 2013
I am always amazed by new technology but have trouble learning it because it is new and I am older than many who jump into using new phones, tablets & computers, programs. This book helped me with many of the basics but left a few others out (like where is the alarm, which I finally figured out), whichis the reason I didn't give the book 5 stars . Fortunatly, once I got started, I figured things out myself.

I recommend this book for the absolute beginner with an android phone. That was me, baffled and frustrated until I discovered this book. Someone at the intermediate level would also find help. I am now using the book as a reference.
on April 13, 2013
First time SmartPhone uses MUST purchase this book. It covers everything I could possibly want to know. I had no idea about "internet settings" until this book explained what i needed. I didn't know how to delete text messages - but this book explains all you need to know about texting, contacts and phone use. I actually am reading it page by page from the begining - but do have to jump ahead to find out what I want to know NOW. Love this book.
While you can figure out a lot of what this device is capable of by trial and error, I suspect you would still miss some functions. You can look up things such as 'how do i dim the screen' or 'how do I change whats on the screen'. I had used the 'trial and error' method and had found most of what I wanted - the trouble was it will do things I like but did not know it was there. This book covers them - it has a lot of screen shots and is well worth the price.
on June 25, 2013
I was very shocked to see when I got my Samsung Galaxy SIII that it didn't come with a manual, just a folded sheet with very basic info. Having never had a smart phone, I didn't even know how to answer a phone call on it. I played around with the phone for a while and at first I thought that I might be able to get by without a book, just by experimenting with things. I soon learned that there are some things that I just couldn't figure out on my own no matter how much I investigated the phone. I didn't want to have to keep bothering my daughters to ask them "how do you do this, that and the other", so I decided to just go ahead and order a book. I found this one and ordered it and have been very happy with it ever since I received it. I have used it many times to do things on the phone that I just couldn't figure out myself. I'm not technologically challenged, but there are some things that are not that easy to figure out by experimentation. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who's new to the smart phone world of Samsung Galaxy SIII.