Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,575 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,786 reviews
on January 10, 2017
The book was well done, thought provoking, and at times a difficult read due to the subject matter. But, a must read because of it. Everyone who has raised a child who came out of high school "unscathed" by their experience should consider themselves among the lucky. I think are are more troubled kids than we realize and this book shone a bright light on the issue.
on April 9, 2015
I watched the movie long before reading the book. Of course the movie was just okay, and didn't do the book any kind of justice. When a mother realizes she is losing her child to cancer she has another child, simply to have a donation child. I hated the mother from the beginning for this fact. Who has a child simply to steal parts from them? But as the book moves along you see where she is coming from. Why not try to save one child by taking from another child? I do think it should be up to the individual if they donate or not, but at what age do we decide they have this ability? Of course the ending is a lot different in the book then in the movie. I like it better, still heartbreaking but it gives a last glimmer of home. You get to understand that a true family will always be willing to donate and help one another, no matter the cost. Great read. I enjoyed that the author literally let you inside every characters head for their part of the story.
on February 4, 2014
I absolutely LOVED this book, needless to say, I finished it in a day. Jodi Picoult threw a huge curve ball at the end, it definitely left me in shock for a while. However, I think it was an ending that did fit with the story. I hated Sara, as much as she tried to claim that she loved her kids equally, she was full of it. The only kid she had in mind was Kate, not Anna and certainly not Jesse. Sara never even gave Anna a chance to be a kid, all she cared about was keeping her around just in case Kate needed something from her. Overall, I have to say my favorite character was Campbell. I guess he's supposed to be a "jerk" in the book and he was in some moments but he just got me. The story between him and Julia made my heart cringe! I love that Jodi added that romance aside from the main story. Surprisingly, this is the first book I've read from Jodi Picoult and now I'm hooked. I will for sure be buying more of her books and I'm sure I'll end up finishing those in a day as well. Anyway, don't hesitate to buy 'My Sister's Keeper,' trust me it's worth it!
on December 30, 2013
Jodi Picoult needs to take a break from writing and head to an island somewhere that doesn't have television or typewriters. Her recent novels have become formulaic and predictable. She pulls a hot story/topic from the news and then spins a story around it. It used to work with her early books such as The Pact and The Plain Truth - now it has become a tired recipe in need of a change. Her characters are stale stereotypes - she uses the same writing tricks over and over and she needs to edit her novels to cut them by half. In 19 Minutes - I honestly didn't care about any of the characters - most are so unlikable I could barely finish the book. As it was, I have to admit to speed reading large sections of the novel as it simply didn't hold my interest. This has an interesting story thread in it but you have to wade through so much goop to get to it - it just simply isn't worth the effort.
on May 28, 2016
I've read a number of books by Picoult, and used to admire her unsurpassed talent for evoking strong emotional reactions and tears from her readers, and marveled at how well she managed to pull off the difficult task of telling a tale from multiple points of view. Unfortunately, this book may have cured me.

I didn't HATE it, mind you, but I was definitely disappointed. I still believe Picoult has a boatload of talent, but it was rarely evident in this book. Sure, there were instances where her wording was so breathtakingly perfect, I had to stop to read and savor it again, but there were many more cases of run-of-the-mill writing verging on triteness. For example, she bases one incident early in the book on one of those oft-told (and not very good) Internet jokes that has been around the world umpteen times. Why? Why would she do that? This incident certainly wasn't necessary to include, and it did absolutely nothing to advance the plot. Including it just disappointed me and every other reader who expected more from this talented writer. We expected originality.

There is also the inclusion of many rambling blah-blah-blah side stories and back stories that do little more than slow the tempo (and interest level) of the book. I think the book would have been better without them, which would have served to make the book more on-point and about 200 pages shorter.

And the premise itself, although intriguing, strikes me as implausible. Is is it even possible for parents to FORCE their child to donate an organ? It doesn't make sense or ring true to me that doctors would even consider harvesting an organ against the will of the proposed living donor, or that any court would accept a case in which the possibility of anyone, let alone a child, could be forced to have such surgery.

The ending was a genuine cop-out. Did it make me cry? Of course it did. But the melodramatic twist of events also struck me as an easy way out for the author. Instead of answering the moral dilemmas she'd raised, she side-stepped them with an unexpected... and unsatisfactory... resolution.

I'm also not as much of a fan of the multiple POV style of writing any more, either. It just didn't work as well for me in this book as it did for others I've read. Those few bright spots of breathtaking wording is the only thing that elevates this book to two and a half stars, rounded up to three. However, I'm not willing to give up on this writer. She still has incredible talent. I just hope it's more evident in her next book.
66 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2012
Welcome to my first and last Jodi Picoult

Just not my kind of a read ... if it is going to be melodrama then I will take it in period costume. This was trying to be philosophical but fell on its arty arse. The multiple narrative was woeful ... the "voice" used was the same, usually impossible to tell (without names) who was narrating the chapter. (Maybe the problem is that I have recently read some great change of voice/point -of-view multiple narratives that work in spades!!)

I found the characterisations a bit on the clunky side, lacking credibility. In fact there were too many characters who were not relevant to the plot ... what was the point of the lawyer's old love affair?

Maybe the only problem with the surprise ending is that they weren't all treated to the same fate!
on May 25, 2017
Good book. I bought this one because I read another Jodi Picoult book for my book club: Small Great Things; it was fabulous. This book doesn't quite grab me like the first one, but it is good. It seems to drag with too much descriptions about other things than the main story line. These are supposed to have an affect on each character, but to me they were just distracting. I skipped them. A surprise at the end as always with her books. Worth a read!
on October 27, 2012
SPOILER.
I have decided that Jodi hates mothers, especially those who parent in difficult situations. She demonizes them, and makes them to be pretty much evil. The other characters are little martyrs to their mothers demands and become self destructive. This is not in just this book but in several of her books. They follow a theme 1.sick kid 2.awful mother 3.passive all along but suddenly stands up for himself father 4.siblings of sick kid who want to self destruct/hurt themselves. 5.lawsuit 6.win lawsuit 7.kill a main character. I just seriously roll my eyes in disgust at her deciding that she really dislikes people who fight for their rights, and especially dislikes women.
on May 25, 2011
I normally don't read Jodi Picoult's novels, as all they seem to be doing is dissect a dysfunctional family or individual, ad nauseam. I should add that she does it quite well, though, and has millions of fans. I was keen on reading My Sister's Keeper, because it tackles a difficult topic, one that I am interested in, having worked for a few years for a rare disease patient organisation. My Sister's Keeper tells the story of Anna, a thirteen year old who was conceived artificially by her parents to be used as a genetically compatible donor for her sister Kate, who suffers from a rare form of leukemia. This is tricky. There are moral issues here, on top of the medical and psychological ones. But Anna has had enough. She has undergone multiple surgeries for her sister and she decides to take her parents to court to obtain medical emancipation - and to refuse to donate a kidney to her sister, the latest invasive surgery she is asked to undergo. This makes for a very interesting and controversial topic and I commend Picoult for choosing it. Unfortunately... there are too many flaws in the book. First, from a literary point of view, characterisation is too flimsy: I found that all the characters speak with the same voice. There are even similar speech patterns used by different characters. This does not work. It's even made worse by the fact that the story is told from many points of view - six at least - and I found myself confused more than once as to who was speaking. I had to go back to the chapter's title to know whose point of view it was. It also makes for too many unnecessary flashbacks. But the worst sin for me was Anna's voice, which is anything but a thirteen year old's. Okay, she is a mature child, but still, she speaks as if she has been studying philosophy for fifty years. She is able to analyse what people say, think and do, and she comes up with smart, complex, literary statements that do not ring true. There are also too many one-liners followed by space, such as at the end of a paragraph or chapter. This works for a while, but you quickly become annoyed with it. As for the plot, it lets the reader down towards the end. We spend 400 pages analysing difficult issues and asking hard questions, trying to find an answer, when nothing is black or white, right or wrong. Instead of having the guts to choose one, Picoult takes the easy way out - and the reader is left with no answer, no choice, absolutely nothing... It's an easy device,and it didn't need to be like that. I don't want to spoil the story for you so I will not say what it is about, but it is a shame that Picoult wasn't brave enough to just go with one choice or two - however imperfect - instead of fleeing the issue. Subplots are also miraculously solved and secondary characters are taken care of in the most improbable way... and as a consequence the novel loses its credibility at the very end. Such a shame...
on December 13, 2015
The story brought up some fantastic, complicated questions about ethics in medicine and organ donation. But for the ending, this would have been a four star book. The ending forced what was probably expected to be a "feel good" conclusion. It was a terrible disappointment that ruined the entire book for me.