Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 56 reviews
on August 29, 2012
Michelle Goodman is a freelance goddess. Or guru, or savant, or whatever. I'm not a writer (yet.)

Like many freelance wannabes, Michelle started out as a cubicle monkey and transitioned into her freelance career butt first. In My So-Called Freelance Life, she recalls all of her mistakes and hard-won lessons for the next generation of renegade creatives, and does so in a way that's warm and approachable. Although she has a writer's point of view, she is surprisingly audience-agnostic. Her advice is applicable whether you want to start a dog walking business or one-woman accounting firm. Topics as inscrutable as small business tax and finance are tackled in simple language, so that even the most right-brained person can understand them. I found myself running to the internet every few pages to look up her examples on winning websites, local co-op working spaces, and other work-at-home resources. Love this little book, and love Michelle.
on October 14, 2010
I am currently working on the client side of the freelance equation and must say that Michelle has it exactly right. I am dealing with two freelancers at the moment...one of which has read this book...or at least seems to have...and one who seriously needs to.

I am also considering ditching the day job and going freelance myself. This book pulls no punches with the reality of freelance life and offers a great deal of straight forward advice on how to be successful.

Last but not least...Michelle has an irreverant style that has me actually laughing out loud at points. If you cannot handle a reference to a company blowing its financial wad...you might need to pass this one up.
on December 9, 2011
I'm reviewing this from the perspective of someone who's never been her own boss and has aspirations of one day working from home.

I found this to be a very informative and inspiring read. The business end of dealing with customer and contracts as well as dealing with tax and licensing issues feel like a very daunting hurdle to those not 'in the know'.

The author does a great job of breaking these topics down so that I feel I have a solid understanding on where to start tackling the issues that all freelancers have to face.

I enjoyed the style of her writing and felt the book read more like a good friend giving advice rather than a professor instructing a class. Glad I picked this up, and I will be referring back to this in the future.
on October 1, 2008
I read Michelle's last book, The Anti 9-to-5 Guide, and loved it, so I was eager to read this her new one. I have to say that she did not disappoint. Her candor is refreshing, as is her contemporary yet tried-and-true advice for those of us in the freelance trenches. Some stuff in here I'd never thought of, like renting a spot in an office co-op to avoid climbing the walls with loneliness.

I'd recommend this book for new and experienced freelancers alike - in fact, I've already bought a copy for a friend.
on September 15, 2010
My favorite sentence in My So-Called Freelance Life is, "Nobility, to me, is using your crative talents to invent a job for yourself and getting paid a decent wage to do it." And, that's the premise of the entire book, finding your way to creatively earn a living outside of the traditional workplace--and sustaining your ability to do so.

I read Michelle Goodman's My So-Called Freelance Life as as much a motivational book as a how-to guide from freelancers (which it is). Goodman adeptly covers the nuts and bolts of freelancing (taxes, accounting, finding clients), but does so in a way that really motivates the reader to feel like each of these potentially daunting tasks is achievable--and she does so with the humor of someone who has been there, done that. Because of that, I see this book as equally valuable to newbie freelancers, old pros and folks (like me) who have popped in and out of freelancing over the years.

I very much appreciate Goodman's willingness to talk about her own mistakes as well as her successes--this is not one of those obnoxious, "I've done everything perfectly, be like me!" type of books. She's learned by doing and that's apparent--intermingled are stories from other people's real world experiences to help you understand the many ways to live the freelance life. What I also like is that it's very much written for my generation (Gen X), in a tone that is the way I speak. So many business books feel like their audience is the Baby Boomer generation (understandably so), and the tone and references don't resonate with me. Finally, lest I give the impression that this book is all motivational, lofty ideals, it's actually very much full of practical advice that will have you pulling out the calculator to crunch your numbers and examine where you're at and how to get where you want to be.

Note: I read the Kindle edition, so I was annoyed to find that the graphics in the book hadn't been reformatted so that they're easily readable on the Kindle--I wish the publisher had taken the time to do that. As they are in the Kindle edition, the graphics are teeny, tiny and very hard to see.
on January 1, 2012
I am lucky to have read the book before I started my freelance business--and I recommend reading it before you've started to anyone else, too. The book is filled with practical advice that goes beyond the normal "how to become rich as a freelance writer!" books out there (believe me, I've read them all) and actually breaks down how to prepare for business. The book steers you away from making rookie mistakes with pro suggestions from the author and other references from the freelance world. This is a great resource. Thank you!
on December 26, 2012
This book is funny and informative at the same time. I've been a full-time freelancer since 2005, so I was nodding my head in agreement with a lot of what she said. I didn't learn anything, but I sure was validated by reading it.
My So Called Freelance Life; How To Survive and Thrive As A Creative Professional For Hire by Michelle Goodman contains among the following details; Pages 36-37 cover the details such as naming the business and some things to expect when going legit as a business. There is also details included about making the first contact (page 92), an example of what one of the publicists featured in the book includes in her contract (page 135), getting insurance for your business (starts on page 168), joining a planning committee (page 204) and more information available in the book.
on August 11, 2015
Useful, honest advice and how-to's for this recent college grad looking to start writing & editing from home! Loved her writing style so much that I recently started following her blog for additional professional tips.
on September 26, 2016
Loved This book offers incredible advice from invoicing to finding clients!