Save Big On Open-Box & Used Products: Buy "My So-Called Life: The Complete Series (+ Book)” from Amazon Open-Box & Used and save 69% off the $69.97 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all offers from Amazon Open-Box & Used.
My So-Called Life: The Complete Series (+ Book)
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Along with nineteen episodes, the bonus features illuminate the origin, life and afterlife of this benchmark series with all-new interviews, episode commentaries and archival footage.
Featurettes with the cast and creators:
* My So-Called Life Story: The amazing story of the origins, life and afterlife of the series.
* A Conversation with Claire Danes and Winnie Holzman
* The Characters: Exploring the backstories and relationships of the characters.
* An exclusive interview with Claire Danes
* Photo gallery
* The Music: with composer Snuffy Waldren
* Deluxe book accompanies set and includes original art alongside full-color cast photos and liner notes from Winnie Holzman, Joss Whedon, Janeane Garofalo, and Michele Byers.
Top Customer Reviews
MSCL is full of best-line-ever-lines like that. It is the only show that forever changed the way words arrange themselves in my head, which I guess kinda makes Holzman (et al) the Joyce of network television.
The series finale, ep 19, aired on my 12th birthday--meaning, this show has shaped half of my life. The amazing thing about MSCL is how much it grows up with you, even though, obviously, the episodes are the exact same 19 episodes they always were. The writing and acting is so layered, complex and rich that the show affords new meanings and interpretations, even as its viewers "grow up."
I owned the previous DVD box set, and this one is a major improvement for several reasons:
1) Six episodes have commentary w/writers and actors, including Claire Danes in "Self-Esteem," Devon Gummersall in "Life of Brian," and (my favorite) Wilson Cruz in "My So-Called Christmas."
2) Extras DVD with cast and a making-of/retrospective featurette, and interviews w/Danes and Holzman.
3) Great 36-pg book, lovingly made, with episode liner notes, song lyrics, letters, and other wonderful memorabilia. Includes notes from Holzman and an essay by Janeane Garofalo.
4) Much better title screen/menu, both aestically and functionally. Each disc opens with a 20-sec famous clip ("I'm in love/His name is Jordan Catalano..." for disc one; Angela's "Can you please just explain geometry to me?" plea to Brian for disc 4)
5) Much better, more streamlined packaging overall.
NOTE: I can't comment on image quality between this DVD set and the 2003 one. I watched both on an HDTV w/progressive scan DVD player, and both looked beautiful to me.Read more ›
The premise of the show is simple enough, but yet complex enough to make it unique. Premiering in 1994, right at the emergence of the teen-soap genre MSCL was a breath of fresh-air. Unlike "Beverly Hills 90210" and latter "Dawson's Creek," this series was grounded in reality. Instead of glorifying every teenage rite-of-passage for film, the series seems to gloss over these moments in favor of the emotional outburst they produce: much like real life. Many people don't remembers every detail or their prom, first kiss, and first independent car ride? Yet they remember exactly how they felt, and MSCL capitalized on these moments.
The show follows 14-year-old Angela as she tries to ultimately survive not only her freshman year of high school, but the highs (and lows) or first love, as well as becoming her own independent self - separated from the person she tried to be for other people in Middle School. High School is a turbulent time for anyone from the Jocks to the Brains to the Leadership to the Outsiders. Everyone has their ups and downs, just like Angela.Read more ›
To this day, I'm still amazed that this show was so short-lived. It dealt with serious issues such as drugs, sex, violence, and it dealt with them realistically. I realize now that My So-Called life was the clever one, not Dawson's Creek. This DVD is a must-have for the many die-hard fans the show still has today. One thing is for sure: the show may have been cancelled, but it will never be forgotten.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I've had the set for years and a couple of my DVDs are scratched. Won't go without this in my collection so ordered a new one. Read morePublished 10 days ago by hlg1983
Loved this show! This is perfect for a weekend to stay in the house and curl up on the couch and relax. Couldn't stop watching once I started... took me back a few year's!!Published 2 months ago by Lindsay
I'm a jared leto fan in the way that I find him absolutely curious and fascinating, and his brother shannon is in it as well so that's a bonusPublished 4 months ago by Clairey
My So-Called Life is not only one of the most poignant dramas to be put on the air (teen or otherwise), but it stands up to time. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Caitlin
This was my favorite show growing up in the grunge/angst teen era and as you may have guessed, I watched the whole season in two days.Published 4 months ago by Margaret Haag