Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 92 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 244 reviews
on May 28, 2016
If you love Octavia Butler this is a comparable read. I really enjoyed it and am buying the rest of the series.
on September 20, 2006
It baffles me why some folks want to force Ms. Due to be a horror writer. She is absolutely not, and this is why I love her work. She incorportes realism, with myticism, the supernatural, but not horror. The people live very real lives, but have some quirks about them. Ms. Due write fiction with depth. She makes you think, and is an excellent, imaginative storyteller.

I feel like David and Jessica are members of my family. Every sistah needs a David/Dawit, of course, minus his indiscretions and personality deficits. If you are looking for a great love story, thrown in for good measure, murder, secrets, suspense, and the unbelievable, why My Soul to Keep is for you.

I discovered Mrs. Due a couple of years ago by accident. I was in the library one day and I saw this book with this very menacing cover. Out of curiosity, I opened the book and began to read. I was hooked. It was love at first sight. Imagine my utter joy when I discovered that The Living Blood was a Sequel to My Soul to Keep. Immediately, I returned to the library a few weeks later and checked out My Soul to Keep. I kept that book for almost 6 weeks. At that point, I knew I had to have my own copies for my library.

This is a love, suspense, supernatural thriller. David and Jessica are a happily married couple. Actually, Jessica has counted herself so lucky in meeting a fantastic man so early in her life. In comparison to so many sisters, where the pool of viable & desirable marriage partners is very shallow, she has a good man. She could not have asked for a better man. He is a great provider, husband, lover and father. Unbeknownst to Jessica, Dawit/David has a secret. When it is discovered, all hell breaks loose.

The book is so well written and highly imaginative. Mrs. Due makes you believe the unbelievable, that immortals inhabitant the earth and live among mortals. She is an excellent story teller. What also attracts me to her is she is obviously well-versed in African American history. On the sneak, she gives the reader a history lesson.

I also appreciate the fact that the black men are fully developed human beings, not caricatures. I know many sistahs would love to have a man like Dawit. He is everything a woman could ask for - well almost.

This is not a vampire story, though I love them. This is about human beings, with no supernatural powers. They just want permanently kick da bucket. Jessica doesn't realize her man is way older than he says. 30? Yeah right? Enjoy! The saga begins.

I love this author. More people need to know who she is.
on April 13, 2013
Due did a great job in developing these characters. In my opinion there was no archtype good/ bad guy. The characters like all humans had both admirable and despicable qualities that on the one hand made you relate and understand them on the other hand you want to run from or slap them.

Due's prose is clean, concise. My favorite line in the book. "It was the final absurdity. Teacake was dying." In its simplicity, that sentence sums up the protagonists present condition. Just when you think things couldn't get worse...

I throughly enjoyed this book and the emotional roller coaster it provided. I was sad to see it end but look forward to meeting these characters again in the second installment.
on September 18, 2007
"My Soul to Keep" is an engaging read by Tananarive Due. Jessica has married the perfect man. David is a brilliant Jazz scholar, author of several books, handsome, sexy and a wonderful father...but unbeknownst to Jessica, David is also an immortal being with a dark past and possibly even darker present.

The dialogue is strong and even though the premise is way out there, Due's storytelling ability is such that suspension of disbelief is not a problem. Incidentally, this story is a surprisingly accurate symbol for what happens in long term relationships; at some point we all experience(in the immortal words of Billy Joel) the Stranger that kicks us right between the eyes...that time when we see something in our partner that is so foreign that it seems that we never knew them at all. Jessica begins to suspect that there is a hidden secret in her beloved David and Due's descriptions of Jessica's personal denials and pendulum like emotions concerning her husband are brilliant. Most of us that have been married for some time have experienced that and the author manages to harness that natural feeling of anxiety and uses it in "My Soul to Keep". Whether Ms. Due has done this intentionally or not (I suspect she has though) doesn't really matter.

"My Soul to Keep" could fit into a half dozen genre's and whether you like horror, science fiction, romance or action/adventure you will enjoy "My Soul to Keep".
on July 1, 2015
Very good reading and entertaining. Every moment of reading make you want to continue to see what was going to happen next.
on March 2, 2016
Read this book as a hardcover years ago. Asked over and over again for a kindle version. Once the whole series was available, I bought this one to read again. It was fantastic! I had forgotten so many of the events that it was like I was reading it for the first time. Thoroughly enjoyed this. Reading the next one now.
on June 19, 2001
This is one of those books that while you read your eyes may be burning, you know you have to get up at 5:30 am the next morning and you still have to do some chores around the house, but you just DON'T CARE. There is nothing that could tear that book from my hands. This is my first book by this author and I can't even pronounce her name correctly, but I am a fan for life.
The book started off with a sense of mystery and suspence. Things on the surface seemed okay, but I knew, as anyone who reads this book will know, that things are just not as they seem. Then Tananarive took me on the ride of my life. I wanted so much to hate Dawit and I just couldn't. I wanted Jessica to get away from him and then I wanted her to stay with him forever. "Forgive him, he loves you!" I screamed and cried. Why won't these people listen to me. Dawit is an immortal who has lived for over 500 years when we meet him. Jessica is a reporter with a loving family. When a story she's working on leads her to find out about Dawit and who he is, especially how he fits into her life, all hell breaks loose. This book takes the reader, especially me, on an emotional roller coaster. There were times when I had to put the book down saying that I just can't take it anymore, but it wouldn't be ten seconds before I picked it up again.
Tananarive made every character so real that I couldn't help but care for each of their well being. Another great characteristic of her writing is that I never wanted to skip part because they were boring. I may have wanted to skip ahead to see what would happen, but never because a part was too boring or too wordy.
In summing up my review, I really don't want to say anything that will give away the story or plot, but this story reminded me of Octavia Butler's work. Even though I am not the type that really goes for science fiction or anything in that ilk, but this book had me out of breath, crying, scared and best of all, it left me wanting more. I urge you all to read this book.
on February 3, 2013
I found this book to be absolutely captivating. I don't believe I've ever found myself so anxious to find what will occur next as I did with this novel. I actually had to restrain myself from reading ahead, which was a first.

Due's style is well written and flows smoothly. I was drawn to the characters, especially Jessica. To have had such a burden thrust upon her and all because of David's selfishness. He truly was crazy.

If you're seeking a suspenseful thrill, this book is without a doubt a must read.
on September 13, 2000
This is the story of an immortal who gets swept away with the lives of mortals and desires to maintain the love affection and closeness he has with those individuals. David aka Dawit is an African/ African American who has inhabited this earth for the past 500 years. He has had many lives, many experiences, many wives and many children. However, whenever the powers have told him to leave his life amongst mortals, he has done so without reservation.
However, along comes his wife Jessica and the Kira, the daughter they share and his life changes based on his sense of love and devotion to these 2 people. David aka Dawit's blood is everlasting and once infused into the body of mortals, accompanyed by the Ritual of Life, individuals live forever. Although Dawit is sworn to secrecy, his love for his wife causes him to break the covenant and risk the life not only of himself but his family as well. It is with his blood that he attemtps to ensure that his new wife and child have everlasting life.
Although the character of Dawit is somewhat odd and sinister, he has redeeming qualities based on his sacrifice in the name of Jessica and Kira. It almost makes the acts he commits during the book seem OK. In an odd way, this is the story about what a person will do in the name of love.
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and it had a very interesting religious twist re: the blood of Christ. This author is very talented. I have read all three of her novels and each one is very well written. However, her novels show a great deal of versatility, each with a completely different subject yet each beautifully well written. Highly recommended.
on November 15, 2016
Definitely a page turner.. Actually - I had to put the book down because it was so intense - I didn't (although I did) want to know what happened next!! You wont be disappointed.