Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: My Story
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 22, 2014
I could her Marilyn's voice when. WAS reading this book. I didn't know a lot of the stuff she talks about. I highly recommend it.
The book ends suddenly when she's about to perform in Korea. Odd, yet very haunting.
on May 28, 2013
This is Marilyn's story in her own words--and thus has a compelling quality. Hearing her tell about her terrible childhood--as seen through the eyes of a child--gave me an appreciation for the effect that her dysfunctional childhood had on her adult life. What she accomplished as an adult was truly amazing, given where she started.

The book ends abruptly, because she never did have a chance to finish it--but I can't fault her for that.
on July 13, 2005
I bought this book when it first came out in the 1970s, so it's not a new publication. Marilyn's writing is self-conscious and stiff at times, and the book is light on facts, but she wasn't able to finish high school, so I'm sure she did the best she could. The worst part is Andrea Dworkin's foreword. I was disgusted that she repeated Norman Mailer's confessed fiction that Marilyn had had multiple abortions. Mailer admitted that he made that up! And Dworkin repeats it here as if it were a known fact. This calumny gives you a clue as to the stringency of her scholarship. If you can find a copy without Dworkin's awful addition, buy that.
on October 31, 2013
If you like Marilyn read this book. She wrote it and it was like getting a glance at the real Marilyn instead of all the lies and
assumptions that are written in other books about her. She was a very intelligent lady and reading this book helps the reader to
have a glance at her most interesting thoughts on the way life works. The book did end suddenly and I did find myself wishing for more but all in all it is a must read.
on February 6, 2013
I will first start off by explaining that this book will be meant for a true fan of Marilyn. As another reviewer pointed out, this book originally was meant to be a publicity scheme at the time of being written, so as to how truthful everything is, we may never know.

Howver, it is a very good read and it's interesting to hear from Marilyn's side of the story. At the very least, this book paints a better picture of her as a real person and not as a the sex-symbol she was famous for being.

The forward irked me a little bit because Greene just wrote about his father's photography and how he preserved it, not really about Marilyn.
on July 26, 2015
We have judged women, far enough and far too long. Marilyn, or should I say Norma Jean, was no exception. A few days back, a friend told me "She and Audrey were both actresses, then why did Monroe got famous for all the wrong reasons"

Let me quote her (from the book) - "People had a habit of looking at me as if I were some kind of a mirror instead of a person. They didn't see me, they saw their own lewd thoughts. Then they white-masked themselves by calling me the lewd one."

I loved every bit of it.
on March 24, 2015
This is an eloquent short accounting of Monroe's life. It was touching from the first-hand perspective, to see through the eyes of such a legend. She did not feel about herself as others did, she was painfully aware of the expectations placed on her mortal soul when it came to the symbol she had become. And this was all before she was martyred in the eyes of all who beheld her beauty. Now she has become a standard (you'll find people utilizing allusions to her name when trying to sell sex or beauty), to which no one can truly hold a candle.
on June 10, 2009
Provides remarkable, fresh insight into the pensive, vulnerable, real Marilyn behind the Monroe public persona. Written in collaboration with noted screen-play writer Ben Hecht. A must read for anyone interested in the amazing mid-20th-century phenonmenon that was Marilyn Monroe -- still celebrated widely on numerous magazine covers, 50 years after her death. My Story: Illustrated Edition
on April 23, 2011
this is a really great book for any marilyn monroe fan
i havent finished reading it yet but what i have read so far its
a must have book happy reading hope u will enjoy the book as much
as i did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on March 19, 2009
Great book! Always good to have the autobiography if your a fan! Very interesting to hear Marilyn's own words. I've always heard this book was ghostwritten, but even if so it was still great and full of facts. The ending is so surprising, so unfinished, just like Marilyn's life. I would call it a "must have" for any Monroe fan.