Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: My Story, My Song - Mother-Daughter Reflections on Life and Faith
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Back to School

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 3, 2012
It has been the sweetest and most meaningful journey I've taken in a long while. Robin Roberts' mother Lucimarian Roberts is a modern day heroine. It will be impossible not to remember parts of her life story. Mrs. Roberts grew up in Akron, Ohio. Once married she moved to Pass Christian, Mississippi. This is where she and her husband Larry Roberts raised their family. Throughout her life Mrs. Roberts always lived a life filled with faith. Whenever there were hard times or good times in her life she meditated upon a scripture or played much loved hymns on her piano. "Music got me through the loneliest time of my life when I was a young wife and mother." Throughout the book there are words to hymns. There are also scripture verses. There are parts of her memoir I especially loved and pondered while reading. There are also places in the book where I laughed especially when Mrs. Roberts pulled down the car window and said a word or two to a mean driver. She does have a sense of humor.

She also has a love of family and friends. She is and was a great mother and a great wife. She was a military wife. Not such an easy life to adapt to for most women. However, as the family moved around Mrs. Roberts chose to see the good in picking up and putting down her life in new places. She and her husband made sure their children were introduced to different cultures while on new military bases. So there travels are wide. They have traveled to Japan, Hong Kong and Turkey. Since I have always wanted to travel, I really had pleasure in reading this part of the book. She also made sure her children knew about their African-American roots."We made friends with the Turnkish people in our neighborhood, shopped in the local markets, ate Turkish food...."

Also, I read closely her thoughts about the different trials that came in her life. She had to be made strong by God to not give up, to persist in seeing the joys in life. During her marriage, Larry, her husband, drank heavily. Many times she had to find a creative way to make do for the sake of herself and her children. Later she would lose Larry to a sudden heart attack. Next a son-in-law would die of colon cancer. Then, her youngest daughter, Robin, whom we know so well from Good Morning America would go through Breast cancer. Somewhere in all of this Hurricane Katrina came along and destroyed many loved items in their home. Lucimarian Roberts never gave up. She kept moving forward always playing her hymns on the piano and putting those hymns in to practice in her life. "I reflect back on my long life and realize that I still sing because I have a song in my heart and a story to tell about the people...."

Lucimarian Roberts life has been blessed. She has done so much for other people. I think this lady doesn't know the meaning of the word no. She's sacrificed her time for other people many times. This is a memoir to remember. There is extra sugar and spice in the novel. Robin Roberts' reflections are among the pages, here and there. [...]
[...]
on April 2, 2012
What a lovely book! My Story My Song is Lucimarian Roberts thoughts on her life so far. The book tells of her life growing up and how singing and music played an important role. Her marriage to Lawrence Roberts, a United States Air Force officer and their life together are also highlighted.

Mrs. Roberts is the mother of Robin Roberts, a current coanchor of Good Morning America. Robin Roberts makes a few comments in the book but it is mostly the thoughts of Mrs. Roberts as she reflects on different times in her life. The influence of music played an important role in her life. All kinds of gospel music but mostly hymns have helped her through many lonely and difficult times. Reading her stories of playing the piano and how it encouraged her is a real encouragement to the reader as well.

It was fascinating to read about the times in which she dealt with the issue of segregation. Her perspective was thought provoking and a must read for anyone wanting a first hand view of what those times were like. This book is a very easy to read story. I felt like I was sitting on the couch next to a sweet woman who was telling me her story and offering excellent advice on how to learn on the Lord during hard times.

I enjoyed the book so much I did not put it down until I had finished it! Just reading this book has been an encouragement to me and I hope to someday meet this strong woman and tell her what a positive influence her life has been on all of us!

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for the copy of this book I enjoyed reading. I gave an honest review based solely on my opinion of what I read.
on April 7, 2012
My Story My Song is such a wonderful read. It's relaxing yet making you feel like you know the people in it. I loved the story it was so peaceful yet stated how life really is.

I will be telling all my friends and family about the wonderful book.

I give it a 5 star rating as I was able to relax and feel at peace while reading this book :)
on April 8, 2012
This is a great book about a great lady. I just finished reading "My Story, My Song" and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although our lives were very different there were some things that rang a bell with me. For instance, in chapter two she tells of her mother putting the card in the window telling the iceman how many pounds of ice to bring. I remember my mother putting a card in the window as we had an ice box also. That's something younger people would not know about.

The whole story is inspiring and interesting. At the end of the book, in chapter 8, she talks of how having a sense of humor offsets the challenges of growing old. She says,"In fact, I often think that humor may be God's best gift to those of us in late life, a salve for challenging moments." Now that's the truth. I live in a Senior Living Community and many of us talk and laugh a lot and kid around. We all think like that.

One paragraph I feel compelled to share with everyone is on page 131, it is great.

" When my mother passed away, my sister and I went to the funeral home only to discover our mother had bright red nails and lipstick. Depholia and I looked at each other and burst out laughing, thinking back to what mother had said. Sally Tolliver had never worn nail polish or lipstick, so we were certian that no one would look at her and say that she looked natural! Sometimes you just have to laugh." I sure did.

Read this book, you will like it.
on June 1, 2012
Purchased book for Mother's Day. When it arrived, I sat down to check it out before I gave it to my mom. Immediately fell in love with her song. Even though our ethnic backgrounds were very different, our religous backgrounds were very similar. I, too, use music as my conversaion with God.
I loved the book, my mom loved the book. She is a very remarkable lady, we loved reading about her song.
We were Blessed by this book.
on May 25, 2012
Very sweet story of Lucimarien and her very positive outlook on life. She lives her life with Gods guidance and raised her children in the same way. Lucimarien is a wonderful example for military spouses to stay positive in any situation. I have always admired Robin through GMA and now I understand better, through her Mothers book, from where her wonderful personality comes. Thank you for sharing your stories.
on July 30, 2012
Those of us who enjoy Robin Roberts' smile and love of life as she appears on Good Morning America, will embrace this inspired memoir by her mother. as I did, with great appreciation!

An easy read, only 143 pages filled with "story" and how faith, hope, and love can meet all challenges thruout life. I particularly liked Lucimarian Roberts understanding that having a sense of humor "offsets the challenges of growing old" and that "humor may be God's gift to those of us in late life - a salve for challenging moments!" How true!

This is a thoughtful book - warm and credible, written by a talented musician about her amazing life and strong family ties. I recommend this book and I loved it.
on January 12, 2013
But not revealing. It's a sketch of her life, sort of like a book of lessons to live by. I read it in two hours. One of the most interesting anecdotes is the story of when she was at Howard University. It was her freshman year and the coeds were dressed as though they were at a fashion show. She recalled that one wise professor asked the young women if there was a Mary Bethune among them. This is typical of the reflections in this book. If you don't expect revealations or quirky characters or family secrets, you'll enjoy this little gem.
on September 21, 2012
Interestingly enough I was reading another book where the main character was discussing, in the face of fear, how she would be the first in her family to turn tail and run if she didn't stiffen her spine. The Roberts story illustrates that if strength of character is not part of our DNA it is at least part of the story of a family pulling it self up by its bootstraps by stiffing its spine.

Lucimarian Roberts uses her family's oral history, faith, intervention by teachers and ministers and photographs to overcome discrimination, poor economic conditions, etc. to achieve her dream of attending college and graduating with a degree in social work.

She married a Tuskegee Airman in 1947 and together the two created a family of 4 children. Her husband was a career military officer. They moved often, faced discrimination sometimes, but still, because of faith, song, and drive earned the respect and admiration of many.

The book was well written and included favorite songs Lucimarian sang and Bible versus she relied on to get her through the tough patches. Robin Robert's voice was heard as she added more details and her thoughts about her mother's reminiscences.

I enjoyed the book immensely.
on May 31, 2012
I purchased this book for my 99 yr. old Mom for Mother's Day and she read it quickly and called to tell me how very much she enjoyed it! Lately, it is rare for her to finish a book, especially so quickly. I can't really review the book myself,as i've not read it.
This book,MY STORY-MY SONG- will definitely be on my summer "to read" list based on my mother's enthusiastic response to it!