Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 179 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 353 reviews
on August 20, 2016
I got so impatient with the pacing of this book that I had to read spoilers on Wikipedia to satisfy my unappeased curiosity. First book I read by VCA was FITA, then the following sequel, and the pacing on both of those were unparalleled. They had me turning the pages like I was a dehydrated woman drinking water. MSA was really slow throughout the entire story. It picked up a little towards the end, and let's face it, that sex scene in the graveyard was glorious, but all in all, I really despised how weak Audrina was, and felt there was really no closure as to whether Sylvia was a big faker or not. I refuse to read Whitefern, as perusing the reviews has given a pretty good impression of a poorly-written novel by the ghostwriter. Anyway, I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about over this novel. It was a proper Gothic novel, as VCA must have intended it to be, but it just didn't have the magic that the FITA series had for me.
on July 7, 2015
Firstly I want to say that this is a very good book. The first section was hell to get through, but after that it sped up and blew me away! It churns my stomach to think things like V.C. Andrews writes are happening to people out in the world. This book angered me very much! I thought Audrina was smart, but when she stayed at the house at the ending, I was done. Vera is a hateful wench whom I did not feel sorry for at all. Like get over it, Daddy doesn't love you, does that give you the excuse to set up the rape of your younger sister? No I don't think so. Also the rape scene broke my heart so much! It was very hard to read, a little through and I'd have to set the book down for a minute. Arden is the worst guy I have every read in a novel! I had so much hate boiling toward him near the end. And it's not mainly because he did nothing to help Audrina, but because when she needed him most he was fooling around with stupid Vera! Only person I sympathize with is Damien and Ellie. Damien was only trying to do the right thing, and save his daughter from a life filled with depression. This book will bring about so many emotions so prepare yourself!
on April 4, 2017
I cannot give enough props to VC Andrews and her AMAZING writing style. She definitely is one of my top 3 favorite authors; she makes you think as you read. This book is astounding, (I loved the Flowers in the Attic series) the way she writes always leaves you wanting more and needing to know what happens next, you just can't ever put it down! As the story moves along you start to suspect what might be going on with the little hints she gives here and there, but never enough for you to see what's clearly going to happen. I had seen the movie before reading this and I have to say that though the movie is good, this was SO much better! The visuals VC gives us as readers are impeccable; her wording is, as always, descriptive and flowing; perfection. Emotional rollercoaster this one, but, oh so good!!
on March 28, 2016
I read this when I was 13 way back in 1983 .. Fast forward to 2016 I read it again and watched the movie (movie did't follow book go figure) I understood things alot better as an adult reading this book . The things they lied to Audrina about. how sad..
on September 14, 2013
Having picked this book up when I was 12, it was one of several books that I truly came to appreciate and enjoy. I knew without a doubt that I'd like it because the story is a continuation of Heaven Casteel's life where she boldly, bravely faces hardships that no teenage girl should ever have to face. Despite her struggles with abuse, neglect, betrayal, and seemingly unlimited heartbreak, heaven strives ever forward with the heart of a girl who harbors much hope that things CAN get better.

Due to my appreciation of this novel I have to admit I invested in the entire Casteel series for my now teenage daughters. As expected, they both love this book and can barely set it down!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2014
Tiny, tiny spoilers. I think my title says it all. Sometimes authors just put the reader too far into the character's head. I didn't like being in Audrina's repetitive little brain. She frustrated the hell out of me. The father is a completely horrible character and for whatever reason "Audrina" thought we should know about his "horney toenails." Maybe it's just me, but when an author puts emphasis on something that ridiculous, I wait for some underlying reason to come out in the story (it didn't). So every time I pictured him all I could conjure up in my head was this massive brute walking around with talon-like toe nails click, click, clicking across the kitchen floor. Hilarious visual to torment me throughout this book. The other characters weren't just "flawed enough to make them interesting"--they were awful people. Her sister, Vera, was so unbelievable she became a charicature. She should've had a pointy waxed mustache she could twirl as she thought up her evil deeds. I had hoped Arden would leave Whitefern and try to have a normal life somewhere. He was a jerk for cheating on his frigid wife, but geez...the whole family is NUTS. The dad has some freakish--almost incestuous need for his daughter to remain 'true' to him forever. He wanted her to remain pure. oh, ick. And some characters were just background noise. So, as I said before, this book was meh (just okay). I got through it and was halfway entertained by the plot. I think the story could've been good. I liked the darkness, but wasn't impressed with the novel overall.
on June 16, 2015
I really loved reading this book because as usual, V C Andrews has out done herself again. I would suggest that you get Casteel Book 1 to start and then read each of the books in the order they were written. I am currently almost finished reading book 5 in this series, and I have loved each one very much. If you enjoy reading the books by V C Andrews, then you will certainly enjoy this complete set. I know I have.
on August 30, 2017
I was super impressed with how gripping and atmospheric this book was. I did not want to put it down and there was an unexpected whodunit aspect that I especially loved. I would have given it five stars, but I was still left a little "What?" with the main plot.
on November 25, 2016
Come and join the tangled life of Heaven and Logan's daughter and son as they begin life as young adults. Follow the dreams of two dreamers.
on February 18, 2016
It's V.C Andrews, OK? I mean you know what you're getting into here when you pick her/him up.

A solid 3.5 star book, but I round up to be nice.

I loved the setting and the way the setting was described. The setting and mood are spot on Southern Gothic, or as the kids say, the Southern Gothic feel was on fleek. The plot...well...it is what it is. It's a "fun" read, slow at times, fast paced at times. I honestly can't wait for the sequel, Whitefern coming out Summer of 2016.