Industrial Deals Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

My True Story
Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 27, 2013
I don't know if you can expect men over the age of 60 to have the testosterone level, or the psychology, of 18 year olds. These are homages of youth by mature males. You have to be able to enjoy the simplicity and relish in the lush baritone richness and subtlety of these beautiful voices. These are men returning to the music of their youth with tenderness and capacity. The innocence of youth can be irresistible to those who have lost it. Going all the way back to the beginning, Mr. Neville's Doo Wop has always had a very charming simplicity to it. Like Shaker furniture, or Brancusi. Only with the eroticism of New Oleans. If you make this mid-century black-male vocal music more complicated, you would be making into something else. This is sweet black-male music. Deep dark swing and groove vocal music. If you have been listening to the drastic and extreme alpha-male music of the last 30 years, then I can imagine that you might not be able to hear, or feel, the heart of this sweet gift. To me this music feels like a dark eros filled baritone oasis in a parched land. With sweet doo wop vespers singing down like rain.

Ps: If you like mid-century black male vocal music you might want to check out the German Bear Family Records' series titled Street Corner Symphonies: The complete History Of Doo Wop. This extraordinary series is filled with many familiar and uncommon Doo Wop jewels with a audio quality that is perhaps better than anything I have ever heard on cd. Pricey but absolutely worth it.
on March 3, 2013
Aaron Neville has a great ballad voice and 50s music was still primarily voice music. On all recording from that decade, the lead singer was clearly discernable and understandable. Well, sometime not so understandable but there was a sharpness to the voices. Neville's voice broke on to the charts in the mid-60s and he a voice from that decade. A little Smokey, a little Ruffin, etc. But he doesn't have that somewhat edgy streetcorner voice.
He does some of these songs quite well but misses the mark widely on others. Even with Eugen Pitt backing him he strikes out on the title song. None of Pitt's orginal lead's anguish comes through. Too soft, not plaintive enough. Another problem is some of these songs have been done too many times: Goodnight My Love, Money Honey, Ruby Baby and Under the Boardwalk lead the list. Actually each of those has better cover versions out there than this offers. Basically this mirrors many of Neville's lps. There are always about 3 songs to play over and over again and 7-8 to forget about. I'll let you pick which 3 from this disc.
For 3 stars it is worth occasional plays but it's nowhere near being placed in heavy rotation.
on February 5, 2013
All comfort and joy, and although you cannot live in the past, you can feel it in your bones and DNA. As I was listening to the songs, they felt wonderfully familiar like an old friend you get to genuinely re-live something wonderful with. What more can I say? Sure, I could say the same stuff about his voice being of ineffable purity and all of that, and that is true. But a more comforting warmth comes through on my MP3 player and on the box when it plays and everything. Beautiful. Hey, that is the final word there, enough said. I'm probably going to get the "Bring It On Home: The Soul Classics" next, although when I read the reviews for that, I said to myself "Sam Cooke is Sam Cooke, Otis is Otis, and that's that", but this changed my mind to an extent. This opened a beautiful door to a wonderful garden of soul music, sure.
on March 2, 2013
Aaron Neville is one of the finest vocalists alive today, maybe of all time. His voice is still beautiful here. As other reviewers have noted, however, his singing and the arrangements on many of these songs are devoid of the energy and enthusiasm he expresses in his comments about the project. The approach works better on a slower numbers like "Gypsy Woman" and "My True Story". Would it have killed Mr. Neville, (and producers Keith Richards and Don Was), to muster up a little punch for "Ruby Baby", "Ting a Ling" or "Little Bitty Pretty One"? Or "Work With Me Annie"? In this context, it's not surprising that Aaron goes for a somber take on "Be My Baby", one of the most spectacularly-produced hits of the early sixties.

Overall, enough of the songs work, and we are still talking about the great Aaron Neville, so this CD isn't a total failure. But it could have been so much better.
on September 1, 2013
As an aficionado and collector of vocal group music and a big fan of Aaron Neville, I was excited to hear his latest CD produced by Keith Richards and Don Was. I wasn't disappointed. Neville brings all his vocal skills to this project and you can tell that he loves this type of music. Highlights include: "My True Story" (his vibrato works well with this ballad), the energetic "Ruby Baby", "Gypsy Woman" (Curtis Mayfield would be proud), and the Pomus - Shuman songs "This Magic Moment" and "True Love". The backing vocal group, including Eugene Pitt (former lead singer of The Jive Five) and Bobby Jay (formerly with Frankie Lymon's Teenagers), is excellent as is the instrumental support. All in all a classy production - I just wish there were more songs. Here's hoping for volume 2!
on August 4, 2013
Aaron Neville's voice is perfect for recreating some of the earliest songs I heard when I first started listening to rock and roll. While Pat Boone was lifting songs from black artists in the 1950s and giving them his plain vanilla touch, I would seek out Hank Ballard, Clyde McPhatter, Ray Charles and others that could deliver some grit and danger when they were singing. Neville really captures the feel of Work With Me Annie, Money Honey, Ting A Ling and Ruby Baby and made me long for the days of the dirty bop.
My only complaint is that he took the safe route of including some of the softer songs that came along once black artists were invited into the mainstream. Tears on my Pillow, Under the Boardwalk and Goodnight My Love are well done, but so familiar that they didn't add much. Overall, it's just a fun CD to have in the mix and I always am asked about it when one of the songs pops up.
on May 11, 2013
.............am I glad I was! OK---so I'm a geezer. This superbly crafted "record" transports me right back to to many an 8th grade sock hop, when my biggest obstacle in life was mustering the courage to ask that shy blond from Biology class to dance a "slow one". I don't know how Aaron Neville's voice can still sound so pristine after all these years, but this new recording "Tell(s) It Like It Is" in the best possible way. Great backing and arrangement, as well. Da Bomb!!
on June 16, 2013
I like "My True Story" but not as much as I thought I would. My response has nothing to do
with the quality of the music or the musician's skill. I just respond emotionally to music and certain
styles move me more than others. Aaron Neville is obviously an extremely talented musician, but not being a music critic I have difficulty expressing my thoughts about it. My son, who is a musician and a music teacher can break everything musical down into it's parts and explain what he likes or doesn't like, the good or bad technique of the musician, etc. but I cannot. I do know enough to recognize a very fine musician, but to pinpoint what about his/her
technique, etc. is impossible for me.
on March 5, 2013
A return to Nevilleland is always a pleasure. No one sings like A.N. and never will again. His phrasing and unique gifts are the same as always, and I liked the song selection. Especially the combo This Magic Moment and True Love, and Cry Cry Cry (I think that's the name - the one about Sue and Earl). Anyway, great for established and new fans as an intro to a great talent.
on March 28, 2018