- Receive 1 6 Air Plant Variety Pack free when you purchase 5 or more Qualifying items offered by Aquatic Arts - Live Fish, Inverts, and Aquarium Plants To Your Door. Here's how (restrictions apply)
- Receive 1 6 Marimo Moss Ball Variety Pack free when you purchase $125.00 or more of items offered by Aquatic Arts - Live Fish, Inverts, and Aquarium Plants To Your Door. Enter code MOSSBALL at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
- Save 25% on 1 Pack of Invertebrate Food for Shrimp, Snails, and Crayfish when you purchase 2 or more items offered by Aquatic Arts - Live Fish, Inverts, and Aquarium Plants To Your Door. Here's how (restrictions apply)
3 LARGE (1/2 to 2+ inch) Black Mystery Snails (Algae Eaters) by Aquatic Arts
- All Aquatic ArtsTM (formerly InvertObsessionTM) brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support directly from the owners!
- One of the largest plant-safe freshwater snails, Mystery Snails are a popular and attractive addition to any aquarium.
- Can grow to over 2 inches - one of the largest freshwater snails in the aquarium hobby.
- Feeds on leftover food or almost any kind of fish food. Effective at algae control, and they also eat uneaten fish food.
- Mystery Snails move around much faster and are more active than other snails!
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
These large and colorful snails are great for adding some color and decoration to your aquarium, but they also serve some very useful purposes. They clean algae off of glass, plants, and decorations, they eat hair algae, and they keep your substrate clean and the correct color.
They are totally safe with any fish, shrimp, or plants, and are completely peaceful. Mystery Snails are quite large as adults, growing up to 2 inches in size. Black Mystery Snails range from a black to dark purple in color, sometimes featuring tan or gray stripes. Black snails are much more common, but there is a fair chance you will receive a purple one.
NOTE: If you search on the Internet for mystery snails, many results will state that these are the same species as Apple Snails. These are NOT Apple Snails, though they do resemble them in shape. Apple Snails are considered an invasive species and are illegal to own in the USA. Our Mystery Snails do not grow to the tremendous size that Apple Snails do (often as big as an apple).
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- PH level range: 7.6 to 8.4
- Temperature range: 68 to 84 degrees Fahrenheit
- Water type: Hard
- Recommended Aquatic Arts tank mates: Other snails (Nerite snails, Mystery Snails, etc.), dwarf shrimp (such as Blue Velvet shrimp, Neon Yellow Shrimp, etc.). They can also be kept with small to medium-sized, non-aggressive fish.
- Additional notes: With mystery snails, it's a good idea to make sure the water line in your aquarium isn't too high, as these snails tend to climb up to the water line to breathe air. Other than algae and biofilm, they also eat fish or invertebrate pellets and blanched vegetables such as zucchini, kale, spinach, or cucumber. Snails are very sensitive to copper, so watch out for copper if you use tap water in your tank.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Seller Warranty DescriptionLive arrival guaranteed. If any arrive dead, simply send me a picture of the DOA's in the bag (required) and I will replace them free of charge. I won't even charge you shipping for replacements as others do.
Top Customer Reviews
It's been about a week and they are still very active and growing, so it's been a good experience. Was also pleasantly surprised to get an extra snail too! Great sellers, would definitely recommend.
***Update 6/2/14***: One of the snails has laid eggs! Pretty excited to see how it will turn out. It's also very telling that even though my goldens came first, and ate all the same things the black snails did, they are visibly worse off. I don't know if it's because I got them from Petco or what, but the black snails are already way bigger with shinier and smoother shells.
Ivory White Mystery Snails, CPO Dwarf Mexican Crayfish/Mini Lobsters, Blue Mystery Snails, Thai Micro Spider Crabs, Black/Purple Mystery Snails, Orange Giant Sulawesi Rabbit Snails, Baby Tears, Hairgrass, Cholla Wood, Moneywort, Dark Red Ludwigia, Green Cabomba, Hornwort, Anubias Barteri, Amazon Sword Plant and extra-large bunch of Hornwort.
I will not go into each individual purchase as there are too many to go into each; however I will make some points on items I think are worth pointing out:
First, Aquatic Arts is appreciative of customers and have a live arrival guarantee. Should any critters not make the journey, they compensate in advance by sending extras (not to mention they also give shipping discounts and provide coupon codes when certain dollar amounts are spent). I'm sure what and how many depends on the order, but I have seen on previous reviews that AA has done the same for them. As for me, they sent me lots of extras and I couldn't be happier with my order. They were responsive when I emailed them and were willing to work with me when I requested to modify my order and best of all they were HONEST. When I asked they gave me an honest answer about tank mates not getting along so they weren't concerned about the sale, but about the best interest of the critters and customer satisfaction. They tracked and showed concern about the delay in the package delivery (heavy Christmas traffic; bad timing on my part), but they were boxed to survive up to a week in the box if necessary- I will go into more detail later.
In regards to the little critters, here are my reviews; the mystery snails are beautiful, bright and fun to look at. The rabbit snails however, are captivating and are difficult to take your eyes off of. Their shells are beautiful and they themselves are brightly colored. It's interesting to watch them grazing peacefully around the aquarium. The CPO's are my aquarium's pride and joy. They are ADORABLE and perfectly sized for an aquarium with non-aggressive fish. I ordered three and received four and one of the females was pregnant! I love watching them wander around the aquarium grabbing at all the little bits under the gravel. As for the Micro Spider Crabs- the disclaimer "(FOR EXPERIENCED NANO AQUARISTS AND SHRIMP HOBBYISTS ONLY!)" is there for a reason! I have a 75 gallon and they are tiny! Probably about the size of a pencil eraser. If you're really interested in these please make sure the aquarium is designed for something this small otherwise you're probably not going to see them very often. I noticed some previous reviews made a complaint about this; I'd say it's kind of like baby proofing a house, except you have to build your aquarium to accommodate these little creatures.
All the plants I received came in great condition and made my aquarium look 10x's better and livelier. The fish and critters love them too, I can't wait to see them grown and fully established. I will note that the extra-large bunch of hornwort was EXTRA LARGE. A little much for my aquarium, but I have an outdoor pond so I put some of the hornwort in there as well.
As far as the shipping, like I said my deliver was delayed due to heavy holiday mail. Otherwise it was sent two day expedited shipping through USPS. My large order came in a large box and within that box was a thick Styrofoam container. That container was full of recycled and recyclable cardboard-like insulation- perfect for cold weather so I like that much better than packing peanuts. The critters and plants themselves were in plastic baggies, much like the ones you get when you go to a pet store. The CPO's and crabs had little bunches of java moss in them to make the trip more comfortable.
So as I stated above, this has been a great shopping experience. I very much look forward to shopping from Aquatic Arts in the future and I highly recommend them for their variety of aquatic creatures that most often can't be found at your local pet store, their courtesy, honesty and professionalism.
These little guys are very active; I was surprise at how fast they can move when they want to. Always fun to watch. Sometimes they climb a plant then attempt to attach themselves to the glass but miss. They then dive bomb whatever is below; very entertaining.
The packaging was very sound and I like that it was for the most part earth friendly and easily recycled. Everything arrived quickly and in fantastic shape. Thank you so much! :)