Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 503 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,196 reviews
on July 28, 2016
There is a very good reason that Sean Penn won an Oscar for his role in this, but Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon gave equally incredible performances. Directed by the great Clint Eastwood who knows how to pare down to only what is needed.
on August 6, 2016
What an amazing movie..I haven't seen a movie like this in a very long time.
While sad..it was well put together.
I can appreciate a good movie as this one.
Plenty of key actors, suspensful, cold and calculating.
So good I'd watch it again..you know where you view a movie and it's good? But not good enough to see again?
This is one where you'd like to own a copy, for future viewing.
on August 11, 2016
I had read the book but never saw the movie. It's a terrific movie (not for kids) when you are up for a great thriller, chiller mind blower! Performances by all actors are top notch as proven by awards they won. Having lived in this area for many years it was easy to relate to the personalities. Get ready for a good physical and psychological mind bender. Get the popcorn ready now!
on December 19, 2006
I watched this last night. This movie made me feel like I had been beaten up and left on the sidewalk to crawl home. But, I'm not saying it was a bad film. Eastwood has hit home runs in the last several outings and he has aged his talents to a finely honed formula that rarely dissappoints. I am not familiar with the book that this is based on and frankly I don't want to know: the movie was upsetting enough.

A good drama should move you, should make you feel shaken and this film delivers. The script is very good, the actors all excellent. While the film seems to linger just a wee bit too long at the end, it caps off the story without leaving anything unsaid. Having said this, it also does not tie up every single loose end; we are left to figure it out for ourselves and the ambiguity that this invokes is acceptable.

Sean Penn gives a tremendous performance that is worthy of all the accolades. Following close to him is the evocative and always disturbing impressions we see in Tim Robbins' character. The themes of this film are nasty and not for the weak of heart or constitution. While it is not pleasant these things do happen and the story is told in a believable way.

While I am a big fan of all the main actors and of Eastwoods movies in general, the depth of pain this film oozes just makes me glad I watched it once and I think I'll take a very long rain check on seeing it again; at least for quite a while. Angst like this is taken in small doses. On the other hand, acting at this level rarely happens by such a stellar cast and in such a well orchestrated manner.
on November 18, 2016
I purchased this movie for someone else who was then going to give it to her friend as a gift. I had already seen this movie--and read the novel from which it was adapted-- when it was originally released. It is a great movie as is "Gone Baby Gone" which was adapted from another novel by the same author (Lehane).
on July 15, 2016
Powerful and moving. Tim Robbins was exceptional and almost unrecognizable. Penn fantastic as the ex-con who has gone mostly straight. Bacon and Fishburne very good as the cops. (Though Bacon had the lease Boston accent of all, so it stood out.) I wonder, painfully, about some of Robbins's character's motivation--I'll have to read the book to get a little deeper.
on May 25, 2013
Not only is this movie a great example of storytelling at its finest, but it is also a finely crafted tale of characters shaped by events, and people affected by those events long after the fact.
Rourke's and Robbin's performances are simply outstanding. What could easily have devolved into cardboard characterizations, flat and uninspiring, instead were brought into a complex and multidimensional form. The direction is tight, skillful in building suspense and never gives in to the obvious methods of imagery or symbolism. Those cyes are subtle and assume the audience is intelligent and observant.
This is not a movie that I would watch every six months or so. It is one that I would rather watch once every two or three years, just to get the full effect and impact of the experience.
on September 11, 2017
One, of my favorite movies, Kevin Bacon, being one of my favorites, now that I have it, I can watch anytime I want !!!
on September 16, 2013
Most of the time the movies aren't nearly as good as the books. Well Clint Eastwood has done it again! He not only captures the essence of the book, but successfully turned it into an entertaining and enjoyable movie. It's so sincere and passionate with some of the best performances I've seen from Kevin Bacon, Sean Penn, Marcia Gay Harden, and Tim Robbins. The book was great and I love the movie. This is just a masterpiece and such an amazing film. I recommend this to anyone looking for a downright great movie. The performances are so genuine and emotional with a brilliant plot. Just a brilliant movie all around.
on August 10, 2016
This was a great but tragic story. Sean Penn and his fellow cast members did an outstanding job. I've spent years in and around Boston, and have driven over Mystic River Bridge.many times, so it was intriguing to see it and appreciate the portrayals of the neighbors in that area.