Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 85 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 207 reviews
on December 30, 2015
I am a male who works in the mental health field and so I consider myself very aware in the areas of social justice, feminist theory, and how socialization affects genders, ethnic and other groups. I was shocked at how many of my own blind spots were illuminated by reading the stats and analyses in this book.

What I appreciate most is that this book presents facts that are difficult to argue with and speak for themselves. In fact, I think that if there was a "cliffs notes" version of this book that included only the stats then it might be even more influential to some who have a closed mind to the idea that men actually have it quite rough in our country.

I found myself thinking about how many times I have heard men be labeled as the "privileged" gender, as if it were that black and white and always easier to be a man. Now I finally know why those conversations always seemed severely oversimplified.

One recent reviewer simply said "A whiney book". I think this is a good example of Dr. Farrell's thesis. When a woman writes a book about how women are treated unfairly, it is usually called feminist progress, strength, courage, activism, advocacy, and a step towards equality. When a man writes a book about how men are treated unfairly, someone calls it "whining" in an attempt to mock/shame men into silence and not speaking up for change, by applying a label (whiner) that implies weakness for expressing vulnerability.

To any woman who feels confused about why men might be angrier than she would like, I urge you to read this book. As comes up over and over again in this book, most men want most of all to have female love, and we base our lives on how to obtain it and prevent losing it. As Dr. Farrell points out, teenage boys suffer more emotionally than girls when a breakup of a love relationship occurs, and men are far more likely to commit suicide when left by a woman than the other way around. I think most of us men don't even realize how powerless we feel to get women to appreciate us, especially since society is constantly telling us how powerful we are. If you want a loving connection with a man, this book might help you build empathy and appreciation for them, which could be a good step.
on August 24, 2017
Men to read this... and The War on Boys, and The Red Pill... tht will get things started... and "open minded" feminists would benefit from those readings as well... to see that maybe things aren't really as they have been conditioned to believe.
on August 25, 2017
Disturbing. Brings up some good points. A subject no one to tackle.. Not over the top.
on September 4, 2017
Obligatory reading for all male feminists out there. But beware, you may get redpilled.
on August 17, 2017
I really wish I read this years ago. Explains a lot.
on February 4, 2014
I would greatly recommend this reading to all both sexes. Its sheds light on the shadow of a media that has polarized the sexes and caused great harm to both men and women. The trouble is that no matter how much light is shown some people will still CHOOSE to live in darkness. Mostly because lies benefit them.
on January 14, 2013
I've always had a particular stance on what it was like to be a man and always felt there wasn't a book that properly conveyed my thoughts and feelings on the subject. The few that got even remotely close always seemed to be disrespectful or angry at women which I am not. Warren Farrell must have crawled into my head and took notes because he was able to express what I felt without being degrading or blaming women. A great book, I only wish I read it when I was 14 instead of 20 years later.
on March 15, 2003
So much has changed over the last 40 years through the women's movement. And at the same time men in our society have never felt so isolated, so hurt, and in many cases, so worthless and depressed. But we as men continually do our best to keep up our mask to the outside world and make it look like everything is really just OK.
While the advancement of women's rights has definitely been something that has been good for our society the women's movement in recent years has moved far beyond the original goals and intentions of its founders and has taken on a more bitter, hurtful approach in how they treat men. We as men have become so shell-shocked with all the change that has become expected of us that oftentimes we're very concerned about how we act in the presence of women. We've been accused of being sexist and chauvinistic so often that we simply try to guide our conversations with women away from any arenas where once again we may get these accusations thrown at us. We're always trying to do our best in this area but our best rarely seems to be good enough. As a result this kills deep, meaningful communication with women from occurring with any real consistency.
In this book Warren Farrell discusses the great injustice that we as men feel directed towards us in our society today. While much has been said over the decades about a double-standard in our society that favors men, we as men feel that there are so many double standards today that favor women over us. And we know that we cannot have the ideal relationships with women that we would like to have until all of this is resolved for both men and women.
Our usual response to all of this is just to suck it all up and once again try to look like everything is OK. The idea of expressing to others that we feel like the victim in some situations in our society is one of the most embarrassing, un-manly things that most of us could ever imagine doing. And yet we continually see and feel the quiet desperation of so many men in our lives.
If you are a man you may find this book to be a great relief. You may find yourself reading it and saying to yourself, "Finally there is someone out there who understands how I feel." The truth is that there are a lot of men who feel exactly the same way you do in our society.
This book will probably have you feel like you've finally found a long lost friend.
on February 20, 2003
One of the most important books I've ever read. There are well-known feminists, esp. first-line feminists, who endorse it
as well. "Explodes the culture of victimhood," etc. I
think every *woman* needs to read it, esp. American
women. After I read the book, I was probably too
apoplectic to explain it to a woman, but Farrell has
done it, and calmy -- with every page filled with
facts and figures that turn much of modern-day
"women's studies" on its head. Tell your friends about this one!
on February 9, 2012
For those prepared to take it in, The Myth of Male Power presents the reader with the missing half of gender reality. It is, in essence, the female power/male victimization half of the story presented in a logically airtight and factually substantiated manner that would convince all who read it except for one thing--this missing half of gender reality is missing because neither sex wants to hear it.

Officially, within mainstream media, the only gender truths we want to know are the truths of male power/female victimization. These are the only gender truths that a Time magazine columnist or major politician speaks. Therefore, some who read Farrell's book will simply reject it. They'll devour all 800 pages of Susan Faludi's Backlash and savor every crumb of male power/female victimization within. Then they'll read the first three pages of Farrell's scrupulously fair prose and throw the book in the trash for being "whinny."

How dare men be vulnerable? The nerve of a male thinking he gets to have gender-politicized perspective!

The Amazon reviews of this book indicate that on a "grassroots" level, Farrell's truths are well understood. And yet, officially, masculism remains a word not found in the dictionary. It's about time the politicized male perspective was liberated from the confines of a shelf-full of obscure books--like my book on the subject--and entered into the realms of academia, large-scale public debate, and the major media.

But, the truth hurts, especially if the truths are not the chivalrous/feminist truths you want to hear.