Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on March 8, 2012
Overview:
I use this laptop for web surfing, coding, gaming, and watching movies. Does it all. I would recommend this laptop for the performance, but the keyboard is lacking a nice touch for speedy typing. This major interface should be easy to do right but they missed the mark so -1 star.

My favorite things about this laptop:
- 1920x1080 resolution for side-by-side viewing of documents, webpages, code, etc
- The HD resolution also makes it simple when attaching an HDTV via HDMI: since both displays have the same resolution, it's easy to use clone mode. Also you can change the power settings so closing the laptop when it's plugged in will not shut it off or make it go to sleep, it just turns off the laptop LCD. Works well as an HTPC this way.
- Matte finish on the screen, not glossy as some other "Media" laptops can be
- Has several modes to conserve battery when you're not gaming or watching movies (see tweaks)
- Also to save battery, the dedicated GPU turns on selectively for certain high demand programs like games. There is a colored light indicating when it is in use - blue indicates onboard, white is dedicated GPU. The nVidia Control Panel lets you override the default setting for any particular program if you decide to.
- The touchpad supports multitouch so you can easily zoom as well as scroll in any direction using 2 finger gestures. There are other gestures supported but I use scroll the most.
- I use the lightweight, quick-loading ASUS ExpressGate OS if I need to quickly check e-mail, Facebook, Google Maps or the like. It's an alternative operating mode based on Linux that gives some basic netbook type functionality with a quick load time from being turned off. I found this mode accidentally when I pressed the upper left button to turn the laptop on instead of the upper right. This OS can be finicky with the WiFi Settings, see tweaks.
- Some people don't like it but I definitely appreciate the numpad
- The laptop never gets hot or loud. Under heavy gaming load, the side fan exhaust air will be warm but the laptop itself won't be burning anybody's lap.
- Blu-ray drive works just fine with bundled PowerDVD 10

Some cons:
- Somewhat heavy and large for a 15.6". But it has all the hardware you'd want so this might be expected.
- The keyboard is "slippery" for lack of a better word. The hard plastic and super flat keys with little in the way of touch landmarks make it easy to shift finger alignment and slows me down when typing. Takes some getting used to.
- There's some keyboard "flex" as others have noted that make the materials/assembly quality somewhat questionable
- The size and layout of other function keys like volume, mute, play/pause are hard to find by touch, and not as easily accessible as I'd like, positioned in the upper left part of the keyboard (see tweaks)

Tweaks I've found useful:
- When running Netflix movies I would often drop to about 1 fps especially with HD video/higher bitrates (use shift+alt+click to get some interesting menus for Silverlight). I struggled with this issue for a while: first I tried to get Silverlight to always use the dedicated GPU, but even with "Mozilla FireFox - Plugin Container" added to the list of always-GPU programs, I would sometimes get these halting framerates. Then realized I was just running in "Battery Saving" mode that throttled the CPU down. Either adjusting the CPU limit in the Power4Gear Hybrid settings or switching to "High Performance" mode solved this.
- I put a piece of clear tape across both the volume buttons so I can find them by touch (cludgey but works for me, esp watching a movie in the dark)
- In the ExpressGate OS, sometimes the WiFi profiles get messed up: I saw network SSIDs in the profiles list that were truncated so auto-connect would not work. To fix this I went into "Manage wireless networks" in Win7 and highlighted the problem SSID names as if I were to modify/rename them, but just pressed enter making no changes. This fixed the truncated names when I went back to ExpressGate mode and auto-connect works now.

Other thoughts:
I bought a wireless mouse (Logitech M305) and laptop backpack (Case Logic VNB-217) that I also really enjoy. The highly hyped speakers on this system are OK but not amazing. I haven't used the USB 3.0 or SD card reader but they are there so that's nice to have.

Thanks for reading!
on March 15, 2012
ASUS N53SV-DH72
I have been using computers since the 80's. This computer handles everything I can throw at it: complex images, large pictures, sophisticated image editing, numerous programs working at the same time, and business needs.

The i7-2670QM processor, the Nvidia GT 540 graphic card, the 7200 rpm Hard Drive, and 6 GB ram memory provide an extremely powerful combination. This computer gives you the freedom to explore new ideas, experiment with images, and try software you would not think of trying on other machines. That is the added bonus of this computer over others I have had or tried.

No computer is perfect, but this one is so much better than other computers I have owned. (Apple, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu) The price I paid for this ($1000) is half what I paid for my first desktop computer: Apple Plus with 64k memory and green screen, so I have no complaint about the price. The computer is well designed and organized well. After removing included software that I would never want to use, updating Windows 7 64 via the internet, and configuring the software to my liking, I was up and running within the first hour.

The keyboard is very easy to use. The keys respond rapidly and accurately. There is no movement of the keyboard that I have noticed. This keyboard is built for speed. The screen resolution makes the text very small, but that can be adjusted to the user's liking. The 1920 x 1080 resolution is fantastic. It is clear and well lit. The screen surface is a matte finish which allows me to keep my desk lamp in any position without a distracting reflection on my screen. This is a big plus especially when I am in a sunlit room with backlight. The touch pad is very convenient and easy to use. It is not too sensitive, nor does it interfere with my typing. My last computer's touch pad was so sensitive that I could not type without the cursor jumping around as I typed. It was necessary to turn off the touch pad so I could do my work. Finally, this computer is very, very quiet. It is almost impossible to hear any sound from the fans. I have used the computer for long periods without any fan noise. On other machines I have used, I have heard the fan kick in during long sessions or in times of complex calculations or while the computer was doing large graphic image manipulation. There is none of that on this machine. It is whisper quiet.

There is so much more that this computer can do. I am not writing to explain all. I am just trying to give an impression of how nice this computer really has been for me.
on March 4, 2012
This is a great laptop in all respects except for one small thing -- the firmware for the Blu-ray player does not have the AACS key! So you cannot play AACS encoded Blu-ray movies (which are common) without spending about $80 for either AnyDVD or DVDFab Passkey for a non-trialware solution. There is no update for the firmware available (at ASUS or Microsoft) -- this is a permanent problem. It is ridiculous for a Blu-ray player to be unable to play Netflix physical media movies.

The workaround solution to the missing firmware keys which I verified works very well is to download as a trial (and eventually pay for) DVDFab Passkey which breaks all encryption for BD, DVD, CD and also removes all copy protection. So now all encrypted discs can be easily copied (though I don't care about that feature at this time). So by not providing a firmware update for the BD player in this laptop, users are forced to use a solution that is illegal to sell in the US (which is why amazon can't sell it -- you have to go to the DVDFab web site). Curiously though, a Microsoft help page I just saw _recommends_ using the similarly illegal-in-US workaround AnyDVD (not as good since you must pay for yearly updates, and also supposedly doesn't decrypt as many types of encryption). So using software like this can't be deemed unacceptable -- especially since ASUS provides no other workaround to deficient firmware.

Although ASUS does have a support site, you will not find knowledgeable support there, nor any solutions (they recommended as a solution to the missing firmware keys that I use another Blu-ray player -- case solved!).
on November 25, 2011
I purchased the ASUS N53SV-DH72 just before Thanksgiving. Needing a desk top replacement as I can no longer sit for long periods of time. My research led me to this model and manufacturer. ASUS has long been a maker of computer components. In any event I was comfortable with ASUS and their products.
K. Gardner's well done review gave the specs for the computer. I'm going to flesh out the things I've noticed and discovered since purchase.
PROS- ( In no particular order)

1-I really like the screen. It has a non glossy matte finish, which can be rare on laptops I've discovered. The screens resolution is also full wide screen HD, great for movies both BluRay and streaming. In the bezel the 2.0mp camera has a sliding cover, to protect lens and you'll be sure its off or on.

2-The keyboard works fine for my needs and the separate numerical keys are great, allowing 10 key entry. It is not back-lit, which would be handy.

3-Track pad. As this is my first laptop I was unsure how I would like using one. My experience has been very positive, the multi gestures provided remind me of using a smart phone. User can scroll, rotate, zoom and even customize the way taps are recognized. If I needed the track pad can be set to ignore different levels of accidental contact while typing, and disabled quickly using keys fn + f9. It has a finish somewhat like nice paper and doesn't show fingerprints. The control button is a seesaw design with one solid button.

4-WiFi and Bluetooth. Was online in minutes with only code entry needed. Bluetooth found my DROID and once paired I could answer calls, send files back and forth and have the laptops excellent speakers play music streaming from phone. Both radios can be turned off if needed by a switch on the right side by the BluRay drive or via the keyboard.

5-BluRay Drive. Once all updates and drivers are installed played BluRay flawlessly. The drive cannot burn BluRay however it can a wide variety of DVD and CD media. ASUS includes some nice software for recording. I've only made recovery DVD's which needed 4 disks and went smoothly. It is a tray design.

6-The Hard drive. The 750gb drive in my unit is a Seagate Momentus 7200 rpm with 16mb in drive cache. It came split into 2 sectors the OS section has 279GB, Data section 394GB. Very fast access low power draw, quiet and stays cool. boot time is very close to my Droid X.

7-The Graphics card(s) The Intel 3000 graphics built in and which shares the system ram. And the add on Invidia card 540m which has it's own 1 GB of VR memory. The Optimus system dynamically shifts between the two graphics systems depending on the need at hand. i.e. low power draw Intel 3000, and the higher ability with higher power draw Invidia 540m. You can choose which card to use manually also. a led display on upper right of keyboard shows the active card, blue for on-board, white for discrete 540m

8-The body is creak free and I really like the design.The brushed metal cover and palm rest keep fingerprints at bay. The battery has a groove that fits my fingertips when carrying. The vent that pulls the cool air in and the hot air out is placed on the upper left hand side, and has not been loud or uncomfortable. The Ram and Hard drive are under the palm-rest and have passive ventilation grates in the removable cover.

9-Comes with a two year manufacturer warranty. Also a one year Accidental Damage warranty. Cool thing is you can double the AD warranty to two years for free just for registering within 60 days of purchase. also the is a zero bright spot warranty for 30 days. 24/7 support and free two way shipping if problems arise.

10-USB ports. The one 3.0 USB port promises much greater speed and higher recharge rate, to the devices that meet the 3.0 spec. It is the future and is backwards compatible with current USB devices. The second USB port is 2.0 and SATA compatible. The third is a standard 2.0 USB port.

Cons-So Far
1-Included manuals could be better and more detailed.
2-It will be cheaper soon. As Foretold by Prophecy.

I've added some pictures under the 'View and share related images' link on page above.

I'll update as time goes on...
2121 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2012
I'm studying for MCITP & CISCO courses so I was in a need for a new laptop with Windows 7 to replace my 2009 MacBook Pro.

I was initially going to buy the lower version (the N53SV-EH72) but when I went into my cart to pay for the laptop I found out that it was out of stock from the seller I chose earlier who had the lowest price tag.

I then chose this model instead and I think I made the right choice.

I just added 8GB of ram to the system to get a total of 14GB, the system is now faster than before in booting time.

One thing I don't like about this laptop is the keyboard layout which is totally different from my Macbook Pro but I think I'll get used to it in time.

Overall, this is a must buy laptop.
on February 10, 2012
I've had this laptop for a few weeks now. Everything works fine, the sound is great. Everything is fast and just wonderful. I'm not a gamer so I don't know about gaming abilities, but I do have millions of heavy programs opened at the same time and there is no lag.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the mouse, but I'm getting used to. Also a little weird is that the arrow keys are melded with the side number keys. Somewhat annoying, leads to misses, but also a matter of getting used to.
on January 21, 2012
This machine is as advertised. I've had this computer for about a month now and I can't find one bad thing to say about it. Very fast machine and I love the Full HD, the Blu-ray drive and the wireless 802.11 b/g/n (@ 2.4GHz) , Bluetooth v3.0 features that computer comes with. The final selling points on this computer is of course the warranties this computer comes with, 1 year global warranty & The 1 year Accidental Damage Protection. Overall this is a great computer.
on January 7, 2012
I've had it for about a month, its a pretty solid laptop. I'm able to play my games at the default 1920x1080 resolution, the sound is great, its very responsive, etc. Hard to come up with any complaints about this, sat here for 5 minutes trying to think of something as I write this and I got nothing. Really like this laptop.
on July 6, 2012
Purchased December 2011.

Reviewed July 2012
This is a nice speedy computer, but there is an issue with the power connector on the PC. Something went wrong and it fried the power adapter. Bought a new power adapter and it fried that one too. Now Asus has had it for over a week and no ETA for repairs to be complete.
on December 28, 2011
We got this machine for my dad because he is starting his own company. The only bad thing i have to say about the computer is that the OOD won't read blu-ray's despite the fact that it's a blu-ray player. This is a minor thing that asus will no doubt take care of. Everything else about the computer is great.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question