Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Guild Wars 2 [Download]
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on June 29, 2013
I played WoW pretty steadily since BC and right up through Mysts. As a disclaimer, I was never into endgame and did not raid. I was into questing, exploring, random dungeons, and achievements. Over time, I tried other competing games and they all fell flat in my opinion. I was looking for that magical feeling I first got when I started playing WoW-- the thrill of the unknown, exploring things, the learning curve that was fun to climb,... but not until GW2 did I find myself so sucked in. They really thought of everything that was annoying with WoW and improved on it, while adding some new features as well-- jumping puzzles??? They are so frustrating and fun all at once!! NOTE: I have been a free player and have not spent any real money beyond what I spent to buy the game. However, I did join a VERY helpful guild. Here are some feature that I liked (sorry English teachers-- I was too lazy to keep up with the caps on my iPad):

-no mounts, zepplins, etc; instead you have waypoints that you "discover" and then you can fast travel for a little copper or silver. there are also portals for travel to far away hubs

-character customization is huge; from hair and clothing to story line. you can even give yourself a first and last name (for you RPers out there)

-the visuals for spells, fireworks, environments, etc are just WAY better. i have been playing an elementalist (like a mage on steroids) for over a month, and some spells are so cool that they still make me smile and laugh

-the economy is set up such that it discourges flooding the market with produced goods (or anything). everyone can collect everything (food items, ore, and wood) with a cheap set of tools, and everyone can salvage items into mats with salvage kits; if two people see a node, they each see their own node, so there is no competition when farming

-you can "deposit all collectibles" (crafting materials) any time, and at any vendor (and they are all over) you can "sell all junk", thus making bag space easy to manage

-while you can only have two crafting professions at once, you can make one inactive and learn a new one. i have not tried it but it doesn't seem like you "unlearn" your original craft

-mail is always accessible. no need for mailboxes. only if you buy something from the trading co (auction house sort of) do you need to visit a specific vendor

-whenever you are at a crafting station, you automatically have access to your bank. crafting is also set up so that you get a big boost for "discovering" a recipe or pattern once, which again means no one is flooding the market with 20 of one item that they used to level up their tailoring, etc

-instead of quests that say "go kill 12 bears" you have heart vendors. when you get near their area a meter will pop up telling you what you can do to help him/her. it's usually a variety of things-- kills, collecting, talking to people, reviving fallen allies, etc., and you can mix and match until the meter is full. when you complete it, it unlocks the vendor and now they will sell you karma items-- improved armor, weapons, etc. you get karma for everything so it's very easy to accumulate. sometimes these "quests" are more complicated and you have to figure out what to do- it is far from boring.

-you get experience for pretty much everything and yet i don't think leveling happens too fast. i have been playing anywhere from 2 to 10 hours a week for a month, and i am only level 28. however, i am not a power leveler and like to enjoy the journey!!

-the world is divided into zones. there are multiple level 1-15 zones, 15-25 zones, etc up to level 80. you get special rewards (sent to you in the mail, just like "quest" rewards) for completing a map (called "mapping") which means you found every viewpoint, point of interest, completed all the hearts, etc. in that zone. little meters show you your progress on everything. FYI viewpoints are little cinematics that show you the surrounding areas. sometimes you can see them way up high but can't figure out how to get to them!! fun!!!

-in addition to heart vendors there are events: small ones that you can participate in alone and big boss ones that will require group work. all events are optional and you get a medal and rewards based on your input level

-i am on Ehmry Bay and there always seems to be people around. there is a lot of cooperation on boss events. someone will say in chat "Maw is up" so that people can come help and get the rewards if they choose

i know i am forgetting things, but that's just some of the features that i liked.

i did the digital download for windows 7 and had no trouble installing, although updates did take a while. the game seems to update a lot, but i have had no trouble with crashing.

i highly recommend this game to people who like to explore and have lots of new things to figure out.
VINE VOICEon October 5, 2012
First, lets talk about what is great about GW2. GW2 is a game that rewards cooperation and being nice and discourages trollish behavior. Having spent years playing WOW and having people kite mobs toward me so they can steal a mining node or having people flag while I use an AOE attack just so they can force me into PVP, adventuring through GW is a dream. Instead of having to wait around for an NPC to respawn because someone just killed the create you need for a quest, everyone who participates in the fight gets credit for the quest completion. No more grouping up with people and having to roll for loot, only to have someone "need" an idea they can't even use. Each player gets their own loot off of monsters and NPCs. No more rushing to grab a resource node and having someone else swoop in and take it. Nodes are "character specific" and each person can harvest from it. You even get experience for stopping to heal or resurrect an injured player. The game seems built to encourage courtesy and fair play. All I can say is it is about darn time.

Combat is fast and exciting, with a wide range of combinations you can use. There is no "best" weapon for a specific class or best talent tree. You can really customize your talents and weapons to suit how you want to play the game. The "Holy Trinity" of tank, DPS, and healer is thrown out the window. Instead, you really need to have solid situational awareness and pay attention to what NPCs and monsters are doing. While the Guardian profession has a few abilities to pull aggro, for the most part you really can't "tank" in this game. So each player participating in an event needs to be paying attention. All professions have some healing options available to them and can resurrect fallen players during combat. This actually encourages better cooperation between players, instead of everyone just yelling because "the tank can't hold aggro" or "the healer sucks."

Crafting is an addiction in this game. Discovering new recipes by experimenting is actually rewarding, and unlike WOW the stuff you can craft is actually useful. You don't need to get to X craft rating and unlock uber recipes to get craftable items you will actually want to use. I've been able to equip all of my character by crafting my own weapons, armor, and other trinkets.

Environments are varied and interesting, with each racial area having it's own distinct feel and personality. You will want to explore each starting area to experience it. But don't worry about high level players coming into a starting area and screwing up quests. Because the game scales you down to the level of the area to avoid high level players coming in and disrupting the experience.

The biggest problem I have, however, is the spamming of gold sellers. GW really needs to take action to neutralize the gold sellers. I'm currently getting a half dozen "spam" messages in my in-game mail each day. Chat is a constant barrage of competing gold sellers, sometimes two or three for the same gold-selling site! It really does disrupt enjoyment of the game, particularly when in cities and trying to enjoy conversations with other players.

While I like the concept of the individual stories, in practice they are very linear and I don't feel engaged with them. I have no control over HOW my character responds in most cases. Sure, in some cases I get two chose between two or three options insofar as how to resolve a quest, but this generally boils down to whether to sneak into area A, frontal assault area B, or join some NPC to infiltrate area C. I was a little put off after rolling my thief only to have her in the opening dialogue go on about how heroic Captain Thackary is. I'm playing a thief! Why am I so quick to help the law? You really have no control over the personality of your character. There is the charisma, dignity, ferocity options: but this is poorly handled and really does nothing to give your character a personality. Nor does it actually change how NPCs respond to you. Unlike in Star Wars: The Old Republic, where your actions and statements can fundamentally change not just NPC reactions, but actual gameplay.

The game overall is a lot of fun to play. I enjoy it a great deal and would give it a higher rating if actual gameplay wasn't so often ruined because of bots and gold spammers.
55 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2013
BRIEF SUMMARY: I played Guild Wars 2 for 25+ hours. Now you might say that deserves a 5-star review because of the value of dollars invested. Not so. The game never became fun. I played 25+ hours with expectations that never materialized. I tried really hard to get into this game--switching characters, exploring different game modes--but it is fundamentally flawed: it falls short on role-playing elements and gameplay depth. I have stopped playing completely and feel no motivation to return. I'd only recommend this game to an extremely casual gamer looking for his first entry-level MMORPG. 3.5 / 5 stars. Full review follows.

DETAILED REVIEW
I've been playing computer games since at least Wolfenstein and role-playing games before Final Fantasy I. Do not buy into the EXCELLENT!!! reviews given to this game by the mainstream PC game review sites--the industry has been taken over by payola. This game is slightly-above-average, at best. Read enough reviews from IGN/Gamespot/GT and you'll start to see repeats of buzz words that were distributed by the PR hype press kit (dynamic events, no holy trinity). The almost-funny irony is that these "features" were the game's largest cons, which I'll explain below.

PROS: First, Guild Wars 2 is a technically superb game--important especially when millions of players log in simultaneously and characters interact. I did not encounter a single bug or even a single blip in my experience in all of the different aspects of the game. Second, the graphics are fantastically rendered, and the virtual world is absolutely enormous, well-designed, and load fluidly. If you are a gamer who solely enjoys the exploration aspect of MMORPG's, then you'll have plenty to do. Third, the game has removed the feeling of the grind-fest involved in leveling a character. Perhaps all of the developer's resources were dumped into making an impressively stable world, because unfortunately, playing Guild Wars 2 is like biting into a perfectly-cooked steak only to find out that it tastes completely bland.

CONS:
-Character development is shallow: Guild Wars 2's character progression is flawed in much of the same way as found in Diablo 3 (now there's a discussion that will bring out the pitchforks, but please let's not go there *shudder*). In a supposed move labeled as "innovative", Guild Wars 2 removed the holy trinity of tank/healer/DPS roles. No, not just specific stereotyped roles, but the idea of roles has been removed completely. NO ROLES AT ALL. Now, what's a role-playing game without roles? The skills of every class look different in their animations but are all actually the same. Everyone uses similar set of melee attack, heal, cause condition, and ranged attack. There may be six different professions and four different races to choose from, but it might as well just have been one stick figure in red, green, or blue. If your character is a Ranger, there's nothing interesting about meeting another Ranger because he can do everything that you can do. Specialization does not truly exist. Everyone is a generalist. Weapons add damage, with negligible differences between them other than more damage. It's absolutely baffling to me how shallow character-building and equipment is compared to games made ten years ago.

-Cooperative play is unmeaningful: by the way, how am I supposed to strategically collaborate with the other players in my guild if none of us plays any roles and therefore no one complements each other? It's not possible. That's why "team fights" are a mass of characters on the screen all acting completely oblivious to each other. It's no accident that GW2 players even officially label team fights as a "zerg" mass. The "dynamic events" raved about by almost every mainstream review of Guild Wars 2 is nothing more than a mass of other players spamming their abilities in a wide open field mindlessly.

-Gameplay combat lacks depth: you attack, you dodge, you strafe away, you attack. Rinse and repeat. Why is it so repetitive? Because the skills you have leveled to gain have no depth. They do damage, and you increase them to do more damage. Skills don't interact in any clever ways, don't develop into anything diverse, and don't do anything that's effective to enemies except more damage. The enemies attack either by running up to to hit you or by shooting at you from a distance, a lack of variety that negates any need for particular skills.

-The story...what story?: I'm one of those players that gives writers a generous window to hook me in. After all, I play RPG's to pretend that I'm a character in a story. At first, I read every story dialogue in Guild Wars 2 through level 30, but soon I just found myself happy to skip dialogue altogether. Why? Because the story goes like this: go kill this, here's a carrot. Now, kill this next. Ooooh, another carrot.

OBJECTIONS ADDRESSED:
-Give it time to mature, come back later: I already paid full-price of a standard complete game for the product. Game developers cannot continue to operate on IOU's like our national budget does (zing!).

-It doesn't require a monthly subscription fee like other MMORPG's, so your expectations are too high: a lower comparative cost doesn't justify a game that's no fun! If I ever find the game fun, I will come back here and update my review. Scout's honor.

-You never mentioned the PvP or the World-vs-World gameplay modes: although these modes are interesting in concept, they share the inherent flaws in game design described above, which ultimately make them equally boring. They are also sequestered from each other for minimal influence on each other--it's like three separately flawed mini-games loosely cobbled together as an afterthought.
on April 4, 2013
Having played the original Guild Wars, I knew the wait for Guild Wars 2 would be worth it. I have currently put in over 1500 hours of gameplay, and still have something to do. The game is enjoyable played solo, but certain content would require joining a party for more challenging missions. The music is composed by Jeremy Soule, who along with the original Guild Wars and it's expansions, is also know for composing music in the Elder Scrolls series (Skyrim, Oblivion, etc.), as well as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Character creation is one of the best I have seen in any MMO. Content updates are frequent, and there is always something to look forward to. I won't compare this to any other MMOs, as this in my opinion has no equal.

As with the original Guild Wars, you buy the game once, and never pay a monthly subscription. Thanks for reading.
on January 2, 2013
I recently purchased Diablo III than tried this after a friend recommend this game. I'm not big into PC games but I recently built a brand new one and it packs a punch. You will have to use a graphics card, I use a Zotec GT-440 and it works fine. Try it with intel integrated graphics and the game will look terrible and play slow. Fun storyline, and for holidays they create special events to participate in. Overall, you get tons of content for a minimal price.
on December 22, 2012
As a casual player who's always liked the concept of the MMO, but never have the patience or spare time for the grind necessary to succeed in such games, I strongly believe ArenaNet got it right with this one.

The key is that stats are easy to get, while there's plenty of visual customization to grind for. Unlike a certain very popular MMO, I don't have to spend months grinding (since I can only play an hour a day or so) to get to max level, so I can participate in high level content. One can quickly max out one's level. One can quickly max out one's crafting skills. One can jump right into the game and be playing high level content within a week, if one is dedicated. (I took considerably longer, but that's because I was savoring the experience.)

Even gear can be had in whatever manner you want to get it. Like crafting? Crafting skills go up quickly, if you focus on them, and there's nice gear there. Just want to explore the map? There's good gear to be had in exchange for Karma points at the karma vendors scattered all over the world. Prefer running dungeons? Completing dungeons gets you badges, which can get you some sweet gear. Story Mode gets you decent gear, as well. Only want to PvP on their open world PvP (WvWvW)? Honor badges can be exchanged for gear. Just want to play PvP tournaments and such (SPvP)? Gear isn't even an issue: structured PvP has a standard gear set that is separate from the rest of the game, to keep the playing field even. Every playstyle is viable.

But for those of you who want the bragging rights of having things that few others have, there's loads of visual customization available for considerable effort. For those who want to take the time finding the materials, there are the legendary weapons, unique skins on a weapon that will always have the highest stats available as ANet adds more content. Dungeon skins are non-transferable, and thus are only worn by those that grind the dungeons. Likewise with story gear. I don't PvP much (yet), but I imagine the same is true of things traded for honor badges. You can get into the high level content quickly, but once there, there's still things to save up for.

I believe they got class balance right, and where they don't have it quite right yet, they're working on it. This is a controversial view, but I have noticed that the controversy is over the question tends to swing one way, then the other, on each class. For example, when I first started playing, I chose the Elementalst because I think they are cool. I then visited the forums, and found out that the Elementalist was considered the weakest class in the game. Then someone released these amazing videos of him completely pwning at PvP with an Elementalist. It was greeted with equal parts enthusiasm and skepticism, but over the course of the next two months, the complaint ceased to be "Elementalists need a buff" and became "Elementalists need a nerf!" There were no buffs to the Elementalist over the course of those months; people just learned to play. I'd be willing to bet the weakness of certain other classes is at least partially another example of the need to L2P.

Class balance is also an example of ANet's support for varying playstyles. Impatiant? Want to just jump into the game and start pwning? Warriors, guardians, and such will get you decent results with little learning curve. Want to spend hours customizing, learning your skillset, developing combos, and get some results from it. The Elementalist will die instantly in the wrong hands... but in the hands of particularly skilled players, it's the most powerful class in the game, or so many say,

I just finished the story as a human in the Vigil, and found it enjoyable. No spoilers, but their use of sound muting and music for the last battle, as well as the abrupt "pull-away" from the combat action to showcase the final moment, was particularly effective; I nearly teared up. There's also a dungeon storyline, showcasing the relationship between members of a guild called Destiny's Edge, who had a falling out years ago but, over the course of the dungeon storyline, they manage to put aside their differences and reunite the challenge The Dragon.

I could go on. There's loads of goodies for those who want to explore the map. WvWvW is a good tactical experience, rewarding both mass combat and guerilla tactics. For those who just want to fight on an even playing field, SPvP their bag. Sure, people have lots of complaints, but I don't. I've never created a character and stuck with it for months in another game... but I've done it in GW2. GW2 is my game.
on March 12, 2014
GW2had some pretty big boots to fill! The original Guild Wars game was an epic gaming experience, that even today is difficult to rival. Perhaps the greatness of that game, despite the blandness of it's expansion packs, built my hopes up. Maybe built them up too much!

The game looks and sounds gorgeous, it has random events, and huge sprawling cities! It's got a long and deep story, and is an overall good game! If this had been anything BUT a sequel to one of the best RPGs released, then I would rave about this game! However, as a sequel? It just leaves you wanting.

If you have never played Guild Wars, then grab this and be amazed! If you are a long time fan of the series, you should still pick this up! No, it won't be as grand as the original, but it will still be enjoyable.
on January 2, 2013
I'm pretty much a solo player because of the family and times in which I can break free to play are spotty at best. I don't normally join a guild but did just recently. I still solo around because I've enjoyed it so much. Played LOTRO for years. This game has almost all the same functions/play as LOTRO. You can Shop, Farm, Group, Solo, Explore, PVP, Wvs.W. It has it all. I have not gotten bored at all. If you like solo, there is more than enough content for you. The best part, no Monthly fees!!!! This game will keep you busy for a long time.

Recent Edit: By the way, playing solo in World Vs. World is actually a BLAST! Just follow a commander and you will learn quickly the in and outs of WVW. The commanders expect you to follow and are very helpful if they are not leading a huge zerg/hord.

3-6-13 Most Recent: This game is like crack!!
on August 28, 2012
A GENRE IN DECLINE
the success of WoW has driven companies to imitation of its flawed game mechanics.

the whole idea that "endgame" has to be raiding and pointless gear grind, that getting more powerful has to mean that old content is devalued and of no use to the player, made leveling a pure grind and rush to max level.

and the separate server idea produced broken server economies and wastelands, once people start to leave.
the impossibility to play with friends if they're on another server infuriated players, but let companies like Blizzard earn money with server transfers.
---------------------------------------------------------

A NEW HOPE(sorry for the Star Wars reference)
Arenanet (it is an AMERICAN company, not a Korean one) solved this by horizontal progression, you get more options, not necessarily more powerful.
all servers are connected.
you can freely chat, trade and send mail to every player on every server. you can guest (soon to be activated) on other servers and play on any server you want for PvE purposes.
even the auction house (called the trading post) is cross server.

WoW also instilled an antisocial and abusive way of thinking into its players. everything in WoW can be competed for. gathering, monsters for quests, or open slots in groups (trinity system).
it made trolling and griefing players so easy and over time you started hating the sight of a player in your vicinity.

Guild Wars 2 got rid of all this nonsense. every gathering node is instanced. every player can harvest it, even at the same time.
if 2 people attack a monster, both get full experience. they don't have to be grouped.
buffs and heals are always area of effect and untargetted and affect ungrouped and grouped players likewise.
there are no quests. events scale with players partaking and every helping hand is appreciated since events can fail. WoW quests never fail.
and since every class (called professions) can spec (choose a build) for every role, even during a dungeon run, it is possible to succeed in even the toughest dungeons, which are designed to be on heroic raid difficulty, with 5 of the same class.
no more waiting for a healer. no more blaming the tank for a wipe. no more constant bickering about loot distribution. all loot is instanced.
-----------------------------------------------------------

THE WORLD
add to that, guild wars 2 has no subscription fee and has a gameworld that dwarfs WoW's 7 year old 3 time expanded "leveling arena". and WoW has no gameworld per se, once you're max level.
the sheer size of GW2's world is unbelievable at first.
the biggest cities in the game like Lion's Arch, are so big, it took me hours to explore them and I still haven't found or seen everything.
you could pack all of WoW's cities into one of GW2's cities with room to spare for whatever MoP offers in this regard.
------------------------------------------------

ENDGAME
the most infuriating and false premise that is repeated a million times on forums and even ingame by trolls is that GW2 has no endgame or is a pure PvP game.

it is not a pure PvP game, since it has more PvE content than ANY other MMO at the moment. and since the whole game is still available once you're max level, due to downleveling to area, everything becomes a daily, even excluding the actual endgame.

raids are absent in GW2. raids are the only endgame WoW has and maybe 1% of its players experience this content at heroic levels and even less finish it. it is a carrot. a reason to grind gear and stay subscribed and pay $ to Blizzard. it is, for all intents and purposes imaginary content.

so WoW really has no endgame. grinding, like in Diablo 3 is all there is.

GW2 offers legendaries that look really epic. WoW's engine does not allow what guild wars 2's engine can conjure into its legendary weapons:
like a bow that shoots rainbows
a hammer that makes you leave liquid metal footprints
or a sword that is like a moving window onto outer space... its texture changes and shows different stars or nebulas when you swing it...
and these demand solo, not group effort. no more depending on 24 other idiots to get your weapon.

and in WoW, legendaries broke the game, for many. they became a must have for raiding due to higher stats.
GW2's legendaries look great, and can be transmuted onto other weapons. but they do not contain über stats.

at the moment GW2 offers 8 dungeons with 4 paths without copy pasted content, so essentially 32 dungeons.
every dungeon has a story mode with fully voiced storyline and an explorable mode that has 3 paths and is the hardest content GW2 offers in PvE.
teamwork and strategy and build synergy is essential to even down the first boss. not likke heroic dungeons in WoW that can be sleepwalked through.

Orr, the endgame zone, is a net of interconnected event chains that require zonewide teamwork to get to the final boss. it is a lot more epic than 10 people in a dungeon. whether you call it raid or not.

other endgame features include:
cooking, the most complex profession with over 5000 recipes and over 100 ingredients to collect and experiment with. and most recipes are modeled after real world dishes.

dozens of minipets to collect

zone completion is rewarded with a chest, jumping puzzles are everywhere

tons of achievements, including some for not dieing for a long time, daily kill variety jumping puzzles and hidden achievements and so much more... titles, skills and skillpoints

and finally one of the biggest draws for people: gear rewards from dungeons, crafting and karma, the non-tradable currency.
the amount of armor sets (and weapon sets) is staggering. it blows WoW out of the water, since GW2's engine has a much higher character detail, they can make much more diverse pieces with subtle or crazy effects.
all armor and gear from all 3 areas, crafting, karma and dungeons is comparable in strength.

and the diversity and the designs are the best I have ever seen in any game.

there is gear and all that to get, at max level, it just does not break the game, or devalue lower level content.

wow has 1 set. ONE very best set for your class. that's it. and it's a soul crushing grind to this 1 set. this is not endgame. and this über set you worked a thousand hours for is worthless when MoP comes out.
---------------------------------------------------

SKILLFUL CONTENT
the second biggest misunderstanding I've read on forums and on the net is the 10 slot skill system.

GW2 offers a bigger number of skills per class than WoW, but you only have access to 10 slots, 10 keys to use in combat.
since you start out with only 2 skills, this lead to people claiming that all there is is button mashing and not the 50 skill variety that WoW offers and clutters your UI with.

in reality some classes have up to 30 skills accessible, but only need a limited number of keys to access them. most classes can switch weapons during combat, making the first five slots contain 10 skills. some utility or elite skills offer 2-5 skills on the same key, which is hard to explain, but it works incredibly well. e.g. signets have a passive, like running faster, and an active (when clicked) like setting a foe on fire.
the elementalist even has 20 skills accessible on the first 5 keys through F1-F4 "attunement" switching, from fire to water, air or earth.

once you are out of the newbie area, mobs will get harder and demand skillful and watchful play. and the full use of one's capabilities.
typically a class (called profession) offers way over 100 skills to choose from. that is significantly more than WoW offers.

traits then change or complement these over 100 skills. so the builds per class are insanely diverse and numerous
-------------------------------------------------

CRAFTING
8 disciplines, all 8 can be maxed but only 2 can be active at the same time. no loss of recipes after switching. crafting produces viable, comparable gear to dungeon and karma items. it is not pointless like in most games.
--------------------------------------------------

TIPS
rushing to max level is pointless but arriving at 80 is not a punishment devaluing old content.

everything, even crafting and exploration grants significant xp.

inventory offers useful options from anywhere in the game like: send all collectables to my bank, or sell this item at the trading post

the bank is account wide

some cities have (potentially all have) hidden areas, some of which have a reward chest at the end. explore!

playing GW2 like skyrim is rewarding

events have chains. do not leave when one is finished. so many have several steps. follow the npcs after the event, or listen to them.
--------------------------------------------------

STRUCTURED PvP (5v5, 8v8)
yes, its balanced, yes, its esport worthy and a lot of fun. but who doesn't know this at this point. it's the only serious battleground style PvP in any MMO (except guild wars 1) to date.
and you can do it at max level after 10 minutes into the game with a brand new character.

it is, essentially a separate game, with epic PvP gear rewards, PvP crafting (yes, although no one seems to know it exists) and player run tournaments.

spectator mode is incoming.
-----------------------------------------------------

WvW or WORLD VERSUS WORLD
500 vs 500 vs 500 players in a 2 week struggle for world domination.
is it a giant zerg? that depends. the 4 maps together are bigger than Northrend, a WoW continent, or at least that's how it feels, with castles and conquerable structures, siege engines, gates and walls that can be reenforced or torn down(yes, the walls as well, so stop whacking the well defended gate) and even a PvP dungeon.

an organized group can hold a castle against a 5 times larger enemy force. since supply is so essential, hit and run attacks on the animals transporting it, or the supply depots themselves are highly effective.

in my experience, zergs usually fail at changing the map. they are great at winning the battle but losing the war.
---------------------------

IN CONCLUSION:
the best game I've ever played, not just best MMO. and I'm not the only one inside the game thinking that.

pro tip:
ignore and forget EVERYTHING you've learned from WoW style games, or you will overlook the best parts of GW2. GW2 is designed explicitly to be the opposite of WoW in so many ways.

during a break, I watched a stream yesterday of an elite WoW raider rushing to 80 in GW2. he grinded mobs (never ever do that), ignored the whole world, never listened to any voice over, explored or did anything the game offers... just killing monsters and a few escort events. it was just depressing.

I actually loved WoW when I played it again during Wrath. I don't hate the game. it's just outdated and once you're aware of the carrot and the stick, its not fun any more
1414 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2012
It's tough for me to review this item after playing so many other MMOs. It boasted a new way to gain levels and complete quests, which, it has, but it's not exactly exciting and it doesn't really feel any different than other MMOs.

Character creation was very nice. Plenty of options to choose from. Didn't find myself frustrated that I couldn't find a character template I liked. Lots of chances to modify plenty of special features about your character.

Gameplay was a little boring. Leveling felt very slow, even with the understanding that I was exploring a new game for the first time.

Visually it looks a lot like the old Guild Wars, obviously with newer graphics engines and such, but the world felt very...bland.

I played it for about 2 weeks, tried several different classes/races. Just couldn't get into it.

Honestly, take this with a grain of salt. I'm getting a bit bored with WoW also, FFXI isn't holding my attention as much either. Tera was fun for a bit, but then I got dragged back to WoW, and couldn't enjoy Tera the last time I played it. I mostly play WoW with some DCUO on the side (who doesn't wanna be a superhero?).

It's nice that there isn't a monthly charge to play, so I might give it another chance here or there.

Edit: After trying it again and again after "rave reviews" from my friends, I'm starting to enjoy it a bit more. May have just been that I wasn't playing the right classes.