Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on December 29, 2011
Check out this video review of the CN-160. I highly recommend using this light. It was a lifesaver in a low light wedding event. I mainly shoot video, so this light is awesome for the $$. This light is so bright, I've even used it as a fill light in various lighting situations.

Update:
After using the light a little longer, I'm still a huge fan for the price. However, I should mention a couple of cons (all of which are minor imo).
1. The tungsten filter is too orange for my tastes. So, if you are relying on this light because of the tungsten filter, you may want to reconsider or make your own filter. There's a nice little slot where the filters slide into.
2. The construction is plastic, however, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's cheap plastic. I feel comfortable with the construction, but don't expect it to be indestructible.

All in all, this light still gets 5 stars.
5150+ comments| 2,273 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 19, 2014
Pretty great. I have used it in a couple of shoots since I got it, its very consistent and very bright. I'll upload some pictures.
review imagereview image
44 comments| 351 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 27, 2015
Fast setups! I have used pro gear, and I have used these. I have to say I was really impressed with what I was able to achieve in such a short amount of time with these lights. They are light, easy to move (when on stands), and easy to control.

The first still is from a night shoot that we had zero ambient light for. I setup a 300W softbox in the back, and lit mostly with about 4-5 of these LED lights. The dimmers are a must, because sometimes you just need to bring out a little texture in the background, but not the whole deal.

The second still shows how the light performs as an edge/back light, I also used a second light to bring out the ambulance, and that's where the dimmer comes in handy. His key was two 300w soft boxes. (I'm not saying this is an amazing lighting setup, but, just wanted to show how they can work in a professional environment - they are so quick and simple.)

The 3rd and 4th stills highlight a cool effect that I just recently started doing, which is pointing these lights right into the camera just off frame to give flares when you're just shooting fairly static and inactive B-roll. With a heavy tungsten light, this would be an arduous ordeal, but, because the lights are so light, portable, and dimmable, it takes a few minutes to get a really cool effect.

If I had to do it over again, I would have sprung for the F970 batts for just a little more peace of mind. I have about six of the F550s, which, are good for about an hour, but, if you're doing any sort of serious shooting and you're trying to move quickly, and then you have to hold up the interview because you need to change out a batt on your lights, that's pretty bad.

Excellent overall though, when used correctly. I have three in my light kit at all times.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Somewhat harsh light, I suppose if you're at a wedding and are using this for video and the quality of light isn't an issue, you're in a wonderfully lit dining hall with disco balls all over, this would be a HUGE plus to have on your unit, the battery life, well the draw on the battery is quite supreme because the batteries which are a standard type (they fit on many different products so are voluminous here on Amazon from many sellers = lower prices); I ran a test and the light lasted approx 75 minutes with the smaller 2600mah battery, you can use a much larger 6900mah battery which I have yet to test out, but if the 1/3 size battery lasts a full hour+, that's good enough for me with having a few backups fully charged and ready to go in your bag.

So, even though these come with color filters, I'd suspect using real higher quality gels (if you're doing a production of some sort) to tune the light is necessary. Also, I see people sell diffusers made specifically for this light, I can't speak to the quality of them, I mean, there's already a frosted diffuser that comes with it but goes a centimeter or two over the LED's, so it's more or less softening the light (and taking it on and off you can merely see a reduction in light output rather than a softening of it, unless you define a diffusion medium as doing both at the same time, another argument for another time).

So, long story short, quality of light not so bad, a tad harsh, but the obvious trade off in how long the light lasts, the ability to mount them on a hotshoe (either on camera or on a stand) or screw them on a stand, or even put them in nooks and crannies like a nooklite (except this LED won't get to 120 degrees Fahrenheit) makes it something great to have in your kit.
on April 20, 2017
Great light. Must buy a soft box addition to use with faces, but very bright and batteries last fairly long with this. I would recommend buying a rechargable battery for this though. Good addition for video and photos.

Also helped me see the raccoon on my roof during the middle of the night, so I could scare it down which is a definite plus.
I had problems with mine blinking after a while and had to return it. To be honest I was not really happy anyway. It's cheap plastic. if you mount it at an angle, the bottom of the case actually pulls away from the light. Feels very flimsy. The light it gives off is decent, but not even close to an old 40 watt bulb. This makes me think that someone needed to find a use for crates of older generation LED's so came up with this idea.
on March 31, 2014
I've used several different constant lights for shooting video but this is by far my favorite for the price.

Pros
It's very lightweight.
Options for different batteries both rechargeable and AA.
WITH the rechargeable batteries it lasts for several hours of continuous use. (i've never put disposable batteries in it)
Comes with gels for different light temp effects
VERY bright. I only expected it to get about half as bright as it does.

Cons
Its hot shoe securing system takes a bit to get used to
it's flimsy plastic (although it takes quite a beating)
the battery compartment does appear kinda shoddy but it works just fine.

^thats just me finding something to complain about really. It's a far better product that I expected for the money I paid.

Make sure you buy the rechargeable batteries and a charger to go along with them. I bought two batteries and the charger and have been using this light ever since. I use it for off camera lighting as well as hot shoe mounted on a DSLR. One battery charge on the rechargeable batteries is plenty for an entire evening of shooting. Probably even two.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This is a great portable LED light that I use for my night photography. It is dimmable which really comes in handy when trying to get the right amount of light on my foreground. The one thing this light is missing is barn doors. I wish I could have more control over the direction of the light with barn doors. Other than that one missing component, the light has been an asset for my night photography needs!
VINE VOICEon March 14, 2012
This is a versitile and bright light for both photo and video. I am very happy with the design and function and I highly recommend this light to other photographers and videographers.

I decided to purchase the Neewer 160 LED after seeing a colleague of mine use one on a shoot. The features that convinced me to switch from my current LED lighting rig were: weight, power options, portability, and brightness.

I have been using a led light by another comapany with my Canon 7D for event video for over a year now. My old light worked great but powering it was a problem and a pain. To supply power to my old lighting rig I had to wear a 15 lbs battery belt. Needless to say that after a shoot my back was killing me.

All This light requires for power is 6 AA batteries (rechargable or disposable) or a an adapter for sony or panasonic camera battery. Batteries can power the light for several hours but the light does come with a power indicator that shows you how much juice your batteries have left. Just the fact I can use 6 AA batteries was enough for me to switch from my old light.

The light also has a very easy to use hot shoe adapter that fits standard hot shoe mounts easily. My old light hand a swivel show mount and was a light aggrivating to set up. The hot shoe mount allows for both tilt and panning of the light. The mount allows me to drop the light panel back so they beam pointing up at ceiling an angle. I do this so that I don't blind my subjects and I feel it gives the scene a more natural diffused light. If you point this light directly at your subject it is very intense and may annoy or disorient them.

This light is very lite weight. It does not weigh me or my rig down. The reason it is so lite weight is because it is plastic. The light panel housing, the hot shoe mout, the battery plate, the control wheel, and the gels are all constructed from lite weight durable plastic. Even though it is plastic it is still tough. I've dropped mine and they still work perfect.

Being lite weight and small in size makes the light very portable. It's easy to use this light just about anywhere.

Like I said earlier. This light is very bright and intense. It fulfills it's purpose without compromise or excuse.

I do highly recommend adding this light to your rig.
on December 19, 2016
Used it right our of the box on a video shoot, battery life cannot be judged yet but it was bright enough for fill light and appears to be bright enough to use in total darkness if necessary The diffuser panel was a bit warm in mixed light but completely acceptable. Well worth the inexpensive price tag.