Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 29, 2011
Check out this video review of the CN-160. I highly recommend using this light. It was a lifesaver in a low light wedding event. I mainly shoot video, so this light is awesome for the $$. This light is so bright, I've even used it as a fill light in various lighting situations.

Update:
After using the light a little longer, I'm still a huge fan for the price. However, I should mention a couple of cons (all of which are minor imo).
1. The tungsten filter is too orange for my tastes. So, if you are relying on this light because of the tungsten filter, you may want to reconsider or make your own filter. There's a nice little slot where the filters slide into.
2. The construction is plastic, however, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's cheap plastic. I feel comfortable with the construction, but don't expect it to be indestructible.

All in all, this light still gets 5 stars.
5150+ comments| 2,232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2014
Pretty great. I have used it in a couple of shoots since I got it, its very consistent and very bright. I'll upload some pictures.
review imagereview image
44 comments| 339 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2015
Fast setups! I have used pro gear, and I have used these. I have to say I was really impressed with what I was able to achieve in such a short amount of time with these lights. They are light, easy to move (when on stands), and easy to control.

The first still is from a night shoot that we had zero ambient light for. I setup a 300W softbox in the back, and lit mostly with about 4-5 of these LED lights. The dimmers are a must, because sometimes you just need to bring out a little texture in the background, but not the whole deal.

The second still shows how the light performs as an edge/back light, I also used a second light to bring out the ambulance, and that's where the dimmer comes in handy. His key was two 300w soft boxes. (I'm not saying this is an amazing lighting setup, but, just wanted to show how they can work in a professional environment - they are so quick and simple.)

The 3rd and 4th stills highlight a cool effect that I just recently started doing, which is pointing these lights right into the camera just off frame to give flares when you're just shooting fairly static and inactive B-roll. With a heavy tungsten light, this would be an arduous ordeal, but, because the lights are so light, portable, and dimmable, it takes a few minutes to get a really cool effect.

If I had to do it over again, I would have sprung for the F970 batts for just a little more peace of mind. I have about six of the F550s, which, are good for about an hour, but, if you're doing any sort of serious shooting and you're trying to move quickly, and then you have to hold up the interview because you need to change out a batt on your lights, that's pretty bad.

Excellent overall though, when used correctly. I have three in my light kit at all times.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2017
I bought this to use in place of a flash at wedding receptions, and I can see the advantages: it's constant light, it's bright, you can gel it and diffuse it simply with the golden insert that it comes with, and the dimmable aspect is amazing.

But. It takes 6 batteries and those batteries are only supposed to last 2 hours. That's not a whole reception, and I don't have the funds to be buying 12 batteries a wedding. Not reasonably, anyway. (But what about rechargeables....? I have 8. My flash takes 4. The numbers work out better for the flash.)

Plus, the flash is easier for dragging the shutter and getting some fun light effects. Yes, those will go out of style eventually, but not yet.

One more thing is that, while constant light is convenient for me, I try to be pretty unassuming at weddings, and I feel like I'd have a harder time doing that with a literal spotlight atop my camera. At least a flash is there and gone pretty quickly (and I can choose to have it off for certain parts).

In the end, I can't complain about the product itself, and the quality seems really good. If you're in to being a giant spot of light, go for it. I don't think you'll regret getting this one, but I did want to write for other wedding photographers to help them think through the implications of how this might change their presence and/or shooting style.
on December 18, 2016
First off, I want to mention the price. As I searched for on-camera lights, many of the name brand products were relatively expensive (around $100-$150), so I decided to settle for this one. It does have the hot shoe mount, so it will fit on most DSLR's, stabilizers, and tripods. The mount slips in and you can adjust the tightness with a little screw. The light runs on a variety of batteries, but for me I just used 6 AA's and they worked perfectly fine. Just make sure to tape the back with electrical tape or duct tape if using batteries so they will not fall out. It does not come with a case, but it does come with two filters, a diffuser and a 3200k effect, with their own small case. The light was much brighter than I thought it would be, so that's nice. Just make sure to use the diffuser filter as you increase brightness so as to reduce glare and harming your subject's eyes. Overall, a very nice and cheap product that surpassed my expectations.
Somewhat harsh light, I suppose if you're at a wedding and are using this for video and the quality of light isn't an issue, you're in a wonderfully lit dining hall with disco balls all over, this would be a HUGE plus to have on your unit, the battery life, well the draw on the battery is quite supreme because the batteries which are a standard type (they fit on many different products so are voluminous here on Amazon from many sellers = lower prices); I ran a test and the light lasted approx 75 minutes with the smaller 2600mah battery, you can use a much larger 6900mah battery which I have yet to test out, but if the 1/3 size battery lasts a full hour+, that's good enough for me with having a few backups fully charged and ready to go in your bag.

So, even though these come with color filters, I'd suspect using real higher quality gels (if you're doing a production of some sort) to tune the light is necessary. Also, I see people sell diffusers made specifically for this light, I can't speak to the quality of them, I mean, there's already a frosted diffuser that comes with it but goes a centimeter or two over the LED's, so it's more or less softening the light (and taking it on and off you can merely see a reduction in light output rather than a softening of it, unless you define a diffusion medium as doing both at the same time, another argument for another time).

So, long story short, quality of light not so bad, a tad harsh, but the obvious trade off in how long the light lasts, the ability to mount them on a hotshoe (either on camera or on a stand) or screw them on a stand, or even put them in nooks and crannies like a nooklite (except this LED won't get to 120 degrees Fahrenheit) makes it something great to have in your kit.
on February 4, 2017
Really good value for the money. This LED lamp gets really good and bright.

I have got a Canon Rebel camera. I suggest you buy two of these for you camera. Amazon dot com has got (or used to have) a bracket that you can fit to your camera where two of these lights can be mounted on one bracket - one on the left and one on the right.
Providing enough brightness for recording HD video indoors, or softening shadows outdoors, using my Olympus OM-D-EM1 this dimmable light can be powered by six AA cells or with DSTE 2x NP-F550 Battery + DC01 Travel and Car Charger Adapter for Sony CCD-RV100 CCD-RV200 SC5 SC9 TR1 TR940 TR917 Camera CN-160 CN-216 CN-304 YN 300 VL600 LED Video Light as NP-F330 NP-F530 NP-F570, which is far more economical. Depending upon the brightness setting of this light one of the Li-ion batteries will power this light for several hours, while the other battery is being charged. Four red LED indicators on the back of this light show the condition of the battery at the push of a button. One of the F550/F570 batteries will snap right into the light with no need for an adapter and is flush with the removable back of this light when installed.

This light can be mounted on my camera's hot shoe or screw mounted onto a standard tripod. It comes with two diffusers; one for daylight (5,600K) color and the other to match tungsten (3,200K) light color. Since my camera has automatic color balancing, I don't usually use the tungsten diffuser but both diffusers effectively protect the 160 LEDs. The included instructions are clear, but were obviously not written by someone whose first language was English. For me this light was worth the investment.
on June 26, 2016
I bought this to be a video light for a video project I was doing. Unfortunately that project never happen and the light sat in its box for a bit until I moved into a new house. As fate would have it I arrived at my new house (several states away from where I started) to find the power company had "misplaced" my work order to turn the power on. I went through some of my boxes and found this light. After charging the batteries in the car I ran this most of the night on full power without a problem. It is powerful enough to light a whole but can be turned down to save power if you are just reading a book or something. I have now put this light on a small tripod and used it as a work light, outdoor light, camp light and yes even a video light. My girlfriend has even used it so many times for things she has basically told me I need to order another so I can have one of my own.......so I guess I will be buying a few more. I strongly recommend it.

P.S. after thinking about it I think this would make a great light to have for a disaster prep kind of thing. The battery life is great, its light and extremely bright. In fact you could probably use it as a headlight for your car if you had to.
on November 1, 2015
For the price, this is an amazing product. I needed something to help me film small segments for a public access program. My subject was set up on a porch in the middle of the night, and the illumination from the various Halloween decorations obviously wasn't sufficient. So after reading the reviews on this, I decided to give it a shot, and I'm so happy I did. This thing is a steal. It can be mounted backwards on your hotshoe, which I did, then had an assistant use a reflector to bounce the light back on my subject. The result was an evenly-lit, shadowless video segment wherein the subject's features were visible, but not washed out, and viewers could still tell it was nighttime.

I also used this last night to get some shots of my son and brother during trick-or-treating. I own a lot of lighting paraphernalia, including a Speedlite 580ex II, but this light very quickly impressed me because it's bright, versatile, portable, and affordable.