Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 120 reviews(3 star, Verified Purchases). See all 858 reviews
on August 8, 2012
I purchase this item to use for marco photography. With an external flash ontop of the camera, most macro shots, have a shadow overcasting them, i assumed using this external light would assist. It takes some adjusting to use it adequately with marco photography, the light at times can over power the object and leave a major white wash over the photo. While practicing with this, its getting easier to take better macro. As a regular external light source for portraits, it's okay. It states that the light will illuminate up to 40 feet, but it doesn't do well if you do not have a high ISO. However, if you are taking up close and personal shots of a person, maybe about five or ten feet away, than the light is just perfect...it lights up the face nicely.
on April 23, 2012
This is a convenient light source for close-in work. It's continuous in its operation, and thus it's not a single burst coordinated with your shutter synchronization. You meter your exposure through your camera system -- no exposure information (or Guide Number) is provided in the V-E-R-Y abbreviated manual, nor is it needed. The light comes with a collection of different sized attachment rings. A ring is selected and attached to the unit. The unit is then threaded onto your lens. For example, my favorite lens has a 67mm thread for attaching filters. Once I secure the 67mm ring to the flash unit, I screw the flash into the filer threads on my lens. I also use it on a lens with a 62mm thread and another with a 52mm thread. The threads on the main flash unit and the various attachment rings are NOT finely milled. This makes it something of a challenge to actually get the light secured to the lens. Don't expect to whip this product onto your lens in a couple of seconds. It's not a Nikon ring light. It's an inexpensive alternative that does the job it's designed to do. It does, however, operate from your camera battery and thus adds to the drain on it. Quite honestly, in spite of its limitation, I love the thing.
on June 13, 2017
Love/hate relationship with this thing. Great lighting and comes in handy. But you have to turn off Automatic focus, because it weighs down the lense and the camera sounds like it's struggling. Not a bad light but only if you don't need constant focus and zoom.
on August 17, 2016
I'm not sure what I expected, but the effects this Macro LED Ring provides is just okay. It is NOT a complete substitute for a more expensive light ring setup. The parts are plastic and they do fit snugly on the lens, but the overall effect is just average in results. I would not recommend buying this product even at this price unless you really have no plans to ultimately purchase a professional macro ring. In fairness, the product is of decent plastic manufacture and assembly, and does provide a fair amount of light, but the setup is awkward. Save your money for the more expensive rig.
on December 21, 2015
Cons
You can not lock the ring in one place it moves with the wire, which was kind of annoying.
The light bleeds into the lens, causing a white vignette around the frame.

Pro
Great starter LRL.
The price is really nice.
The light is really powerful.

Wish :

I wish it came with some kind of a diffusion or there was a dimmer.
I wish it had colored gels.
on February 11, 2015
Very bright but slightly bulky for some lenses. Trying to use this attached to the end of a stock camera lens makes it hard to focus because it tends to get in the way.
on April 17, 2013
I like to do macro photos; who doesn't? I bought the ring light to help illuminate some of my low-light macro photos, but a problem I'm having is it is either on or off. There is no in between setting or adjustment for the lights. When shooting against a reflective surface, I find myself having to adjust the angle so I do not get a glowing ring in the center of my photo.

Pros:
Dual power - runs off of two AA batteries (not included) or the DC power supply (included)
Fits most DSLR camera - comes with a variety of adaptor rings
Bright LED lights use very little power

Cons:
No adjustable light levels
Battery pack has cold-shoe mount which gets in the way when using the view finder (I just leave mine sitting off to the side out of the shot. the long cord going to the lights allows this, but if I have to move the camera it can get annoying).
on January 28, 2013
I have been photographing items for eBay lately, and I have been finding that the ambient light is not sufficient for a good quality picture, even if I turn on all the lights in the room. If I use the flash, the quality is improved, but I get unsightly reflections of the flash off my wares. I had hoped that this purchase would solve the problem, but its light output is insufficient to replace the light of the flash. In addition, it does have a very serious vignette problem. I am posting one of the pictures that I took of one of my items on the product site so you can evaluate the vignette for yourself.

As far as screwing the ring on to your camera goes, it is true that you need a light touch to get the threads started, but once you get it started, it screws on quite easily.

In addition, when I read the accompanying brochure, I found that the light will only last a couple of hours on its batteries. This is a serious negative as far as I am concerned, because used batteries are a real danger to the environment if you do not recycle them. They are literally made of heavy metals, and if they are sent to a regular landfill they will leach readily into the groundwater. On the other hand, the kit does come with an AC adapter which I did not test out.

In conclusion, I will wait and get myself a light tent for product photography. If you get a good one, it does cost a good bit of money, but you get some strong lights that can be positioned to good advantage to illuminate your product gracefully.
review image
on March 13, 2017
It's good if you need something for one night but long term it isn't the best choice. The light frequently dims - regardless of the battery choice and if they're brand new. I used it for event photography.
on February 15, 2014
Pros: Great bright LED light for beginning photographer. Price is very affordable.

Cons: The product is made very cheap, it's light and fragile feels like it could break fairly easily if dropped or banged.
Also you can't turn the brightness down, you can only select to solely use either right or left side or both, so light
tends to be too bright for some shots.
I bought it mainly for headshots but light is so bright the model can barely keep eyes open, I'll have to find other uses.