Industrial Deals Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Dot Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on June 6, 2016
I have Comcast for wifi only, and I was trying to get rid of their modem so I could get out of the monthly modem rental fee. I don't have cable - all of my "tv" watching is from streaming or an antenna that I have to pick up a couple local channels for the news. So good wifi is extremely important in my house.

I plugged this in on Saturday, easily activated it with Comcast following only the directions in the box, and even changed the wifi name/password within 15 minutes. I have a 1200 square feet 2-story townhouse and the router sits at the very back left corner of the first floor. I have a smart tv upstairs in the front of the house, and after plugging this in I went upstairs to stream an episode of Friends on Netflix to test the power. I didn't have a single glitch.

This works great for me and will pay for itself in 9 months!
11 comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 2, 2017
I tried to save money by switching over from the ISP Modem they give you to "rent" to this NetGear Modem. Well 4 months into it (bought in July 12, 2016), I was having minor issues that a quick factory reset didn't hurt to try. Then of course some signal problems started appearing about 2 months after, but of course I managed to work around it with my own trouble shooting by going into its settings and adjusting to what was happening at the moment. Now 9 months into owning it, I am replacing it with Arris Modem Router. This has been one of my worst investment into saving money for myself in the long run. All I was trying to do was spend a year worth of "renting" fee from Comcast and save money over the long run of me having their service, but it looks like that isn't happening with the quality of this device and brand.

What caused the switch of modems was because this NetGear Modem was disconnecting my devices left and right. From cell phones to laptops, it didn't matter what device was connected to it or how new it was. This modem did not want to work with me. When I was first having issues with it I tried looking for their support but only to find out that they only offer a 90 day warranty grace period where they give you free support (you have to pay for it after that....). I have only seen this type of warranty from a USED device not a NEW one. Worst warranty coverage I have ever seen given to a device that is meant to last people a couple of years.

I highly recommend everyone to STAY AWAY from this Modem and the NetGear brand and to after different brands. Save yourself your time and money on getting this. I learned my lesson and trying to save you the effort in getting this.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 6, 2016
Well, I've had this baby for almost a year now and I have to say I can't recommend it. 4 or 5 months ago would have been totally different, as it started out great. When I first got it setup was a breeze on comcast and i noticed an instant speed increase over the old default modem. Things were great for many months, but then I started getting issues with the connection dropping (actually freezing). At first I thought it was comcast being crappy, but I soon realized that it was the modem. It would get extremely hot to the touch. Even though all the lights were green, I knew something was up because when it did this I couldn't even connect to the admin console (the password prompt wouldn't even come up). By process of deduction, I concluded it had to be the modem failing because of heat.
I've had both sides of the spectrum for this router. I originally bought this to use in my studio apartment for one person. I originally used it with around 100mbps through Xfinity. I had 5 devices routed through this (Echo, smart TV, Xbox, Phone, and Computer) and it performed very effectively. I rarely had speed issues and the internet was super reliable and consistent. I would regularly play Xbox Live, browse the internet on my phone, and play music on the Echo simultaneously.

THEN, I moved to a 2 bedroom apartment with 1 other person. We upgraded our internet to 200mbps and added additional devices onto the internet. We now have 10 devices (2 Echos, 2 phones, 2 computers, 2 xboxes, and 2 smart TVs). We have semi-frequently had "lag" issues with our Xbox Live and streaming services and the internet has straight-up stopped working frequently. This requires a simple router reset, which isn't super difficult, but it painful. I'll admit, the Internet does not OFTEN go out while we are playing Xbox or streaming, but if we don't use the internet for a while (say, we go to work for the day) and come home, we often need to reset the router. On top of that, when we have guests over, it becomes even less reliable and consistent.

Overall, I would highly recommend this router for a single person household with a lower internet speed, but nothing more than that. I haven't done any technical tests but I would question the "300mbps capabilities" listed by the manufacturer.
on July 22, 2015
If you are looking to ditch the monthly charge of renting a modem from your ISP, or simply to get higher performance, this Netgear modem is currently the best option out there. I'm a software engineer, gamer, and consume all my video content through the I live through the internet.

Why this Netgear modem?
A few months ago I picked up an Arris SURFboard SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi N Router, after previously having success with Arris modems. I liked the idea of an all in one combo, and since the SBG6580 was dual-band I figured it should work great. It didn't. The short version of the story is I spent the next 6 weeks with terrible internet issues, which I thought was mostly Comcast's fault (after previous experiences)...disconnects, download speeds of around 1Mbps, upload speeds of .5Mbps (despite paying for 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up)...and then it would work perfectly for 3 minutes. Super frustrating. After extensive research it appears the SBG6580 wireless was the issue (extreme unreliability).

I moved and decided to start over again building my network. After a bunch of research I ditched the Arris and picked up this Netgear modem. It had great reviews, was a bit future-proofed (16 download channels!!), and came in at a reasonable price. Setup was amazingly easy. As a Comcast customer I didn't even need to call in to activate the modem (thank cosmos!); it was all done through a web interface. I paired this modem with a TP-LINK Archer C5 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless, and the performance is outstanding! I currently pay for 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up, and what I'm actually getting with this new setup is around 90Mbps down, and 10Mbps up...way over what I actually pay for! Additionally, in 3 weeks of use I haven't had to reset my modem once, have had 0 disconnects, and generally an amazing experience.

Want speed and reliability? Buy this modem! GLHF!
1212 comments| 770 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 15, 2016
I read the reviews. Good and bad. I took the risk after seeing the numerous reviews of this model having issues with it's wireless connections. I thought with myself being an IT professional that I would be able to make this work properly. But, sure enough, the wireless capability of this modem/router combo is horrible. Our home is only about 1600sq ft and using the 5GHz connection, the strength of the wireless signal starts to weaken after just stepping about 10 feet away. When the wireless connection was staying connected on either the 2.4GHz connection or the 5GHz connection, it was not reliable, constant drops and internet access loss. Using one of the two wired connections on this modem provided constant internet access without fail, as it should. It truly does appear that this modem/router combo is just extremely lacking when it comes to it's router configuration and hardware. Even if you only plan on buying this just for a wired connection, save yourself some money and buy just a modem, not the router/modem combo. If you decide you want wireless access later, you will still come out about the same price buying a modem and then router separately. Such a shame to see a company that can make a router such as the Nighthawk, which is amazing, can't manage to get a decent wireless signal for a modem/router combo unit. Very disappointing. Glad that Amazon offers such an easy return process for a refund. I will be submitting a request for this promptly.
1111 comments| 195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 20, 2014
I moved into a new place in LA recently and needed a reliable wireless cable modem & router that was compatible with Time Warner, as I work from home from the computer doing remote software configuration and hold a lot of shared-screen net meetings every day. Although some will advise you to get a separate modem and router rather than a combined unit, I decided to try this combo modem/router ("gateway"), and in 2 months of use, it's been very fast, reliable, and perfect for my needs.

For those who aren't sure what is meant by "dual band," it means that when you go to connect to a wireless network, you'll see two signals there coming from this router that you can connect to (using the default password provided on a little sticker on the unit itself). The 2.4 GHz band connection is slower and likely more congested with most of your neighbors who are probably using this band, but it has a longer wireless range than the the 5 GHz band, which is likely much less congested due to the need for both a 5 GHz capable router as well as a 5 GHz capable wireless card in your computer or device, and much faster (double for me), but with shorter range.

Unless/until you change them using the Genie software (covered below), they'll probably show up in the list as something like NETGEAR for the 2.4 band, and NETGEAR 5G if your wireless card is 5 GHz capable. It's usually a good idea to change these to something more unique so that potential hackers don't know what router/gateway you are using. On with my personal results . . .

I don't like wires, so I only connect wirelessly, and I can only tell you what my wireless connection results have been living in a 1000 sq. ft., 2 bedroom condo in the heart of Los Angeles where right now I'm seeing 16 other 2.4 GHz wireless networks and one other 5 GHz.

Range - While the range is shorter on the 5 GHz signal, for me, it only goes down 1 bar if I move to another room, but this is going to vary by your own floor plan, walls between rooms, how congested your area is with others connecting on the same band and channel, etc.

Speed - I just ran a test while writing up this review and got 104.14 Mbps download and 11.10 upload speeds on the 5 GHz band. I normally get anywhere from 80 Mbps or so at the most congested times of day, to a high of almost 110 Mbps on the 5 GHz band, and anywhere from 40 to 50 Mbps downloads speeds on the 2.4 band, and consistently 10 Mbps or so upload speed on both bands. Again, keep in mind that the speed you may get will depend on what speed you pay your Internet provider for, whether your wireless card is capable of receiving the 5.0 signal to get the faster speed this modem is capable of, network congestion, etc.

Oddly, the card in my newer computer isn't 5 Ghz capable, so I don't' see that network connection in my list when logging on from that computer, while the wireless card in my older computer is 5 GHz capable. Also, my old iPhone 4s isn't, while my iPad 4 is. But for me, getting speeds of around 50 Mbps pretty consistently on the 2.4 band in a congested area with 4 devices connected (not including my wireless printer) is far more than I need to do anything I do with my computers.

Reliability - What was most important to me was reliability with no dropped connections while I'm working, and so far it's been rock solid. In over 2 months, I've had a total of one time where it disconnected at about midnight for about 10 minutes and then connected on its own again without my needing to do anything. I suspect the drop was the cable company and not the unit. I have not had to reset the unit even once.

One more thing I'm pleased about is that my Brother MFC-7860DW wireless All-In-One printer (in a different room than this Netgear Gateway) has no issues scanning wirelessly with this. I was a little concerned because I temporarily lived in another condo for 2 months while waiting to move into this one, that place had a Netgear Gateway, and I couldn't get it to scan wirelessly, something I never had a problem with when I was using my DSL wireless modem from AT&T. This is important for me because I sometimes have to sign and scan documents to send, and it seems like everyone has moved to emailing scanned documents instead of faxing.

I found the Netgear Genie software intuitive and easy to use/navigate. To log in, simply type into the address bar in your browser, or "" (works the same). There, you'll see a place to type in a username and password. The default username "admin," and the default password is "password" (unless/until you change it), and you're in!

From there, you can do all sorts of things including seeing what channels your neighbors are on so that you can pick a less congested channel. I let the software choose the least congested channel for me (choose "Auto" for this). You can also change the default connection password from the one on the sticker on your Netgear unit if you want, see the status of your cable connection (good, fair, etc.), a network map showing the number of devices connected to the router/gateway, what they are (if you see something unfamiliar, someone might be on your network), set parental controls, and even enable a "Guest" wireless network that visiting guests can use to connect, separate from your own so that you don't have to give them your connection password.

One last thing. From the other reviews I've read, you can't connect to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) with this unit. If you don't know what that is, you probably don't need to care. Until recently, my work required using a VPN for certain things. Fortunately, this is no longer the case. Otherwise, this device wouldn't work for my needs.

I hope this review helps others who have either already purchased it, or might be considering it. Again, I can only give you my experience with this device after using it for 2 months. Your results may vary.
4747 comments| 800 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 27, 2017
I got this to replace the TWC-issued high-speed internet modem (which was always malfunctioning) and cut my cable costs. So far, I haven't had any issues with the NetGear modem and it was easy to set up (I didn't even have to use any software, which is a plus). The price was also very reasonable and will pay for itself in less than a year compared to the ridiculous equipment rental costs for the sub-par equipment provided by my cable company. Also, the modem is approved by TWC (now Spectrum, as the creepy, "big brother is watching"-like commercials keep reminding us TWC subscribers - I'm wondering what other sordid plans they have now to rip off customers). If you do get the unit to replace a rented modem, be sure to check your next statement to make sure they are not still charging you for it (I expected them not to remove the charge after I called them to activate the modem with their service and expressly stated to the rep that I should not be charged subsequently for the rental, and of course, was still charged for the rental the following month).

Just note that the modem does not include a telephony port (most don't); however, the cable companies I know of let you keep their modem strictly for the phone line (to date, my cable company issued telephony modem is not functioning - back to what I said about them being sub-par), but the cable companies will not charge for the modem when it is only issued for phone service (which doesn't really make sense if you're paying rent for the same unit when it is used for internet service). If you want to save yourself some money and headaches, I would recommend getting this modem.
on December 16, 2017
It served me well for about a year and half with full speeds and decent reliability. After that, it started dropping the connection a couple times a week. By about a month later, it was dropping the connection several times a day. Since I work online from home, this was unacceptable.
It somehow always dropped during a conference call or in the middle of some critical remote connection. Comcast/Xfinity sent a tech over since they were not seeing issues with the lines (though I don't put much stock in their phone support since I somehow end up knowing more about it than they). After he tested the line and jiggered things outside, it came back to life but after a week it was acting up again. The second tech told me these are super sensitive to interference and once they get past a year or so they become unreliable because of it. He gave me a Comcast modem (Cisco) and the line has been pretty stable since. I'm still giving it three stars because in a year and a half it paid for itself a couple times over in saved equipment rental fees from Comcast but it would have been four stars were it not so finicky. Someone suggested wrapping it in aluminum but I don't want to bother. I'm shopping for a new one.
I would say, if your line is very reliable with good stable lines (Comcast is definitely not that as of this writing in the Seattle area), this is a great value. the speeds are exactly what you pay for and combined with a good router, it served me well. If your local provider is using old lines (in your building or on their network), get something more robust.
on October 3, 2016
We had Time Warner Cable installed about a week ago and decided to purchase the Netgear N300 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3000) instead of renting one. The installers set it up with no problems and said they were familiar with this modem router and it was an easy one to install. We have had it a week and after only having DSL for year (we live in a rural area where this was our only option for an Internet connection at 1.5 mbps). Now we have 50 mbps and love the speed we can load pages. The Wifi works great for my Kindles and laptop computer and not once in the first week have we been without service using this new modem router. If you want a router to Time Warner this one works great in Eastern North Carolina.