Hill Climb Racing 2 Check out Santa's new ride Beauty Best Books of the Year Cyber Monday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Echo Dot Cyber Monday Deals: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 15, 2016
I read the reviews. Good and bad. I took the risk after seeing the numerous reviews of this model having issues with it's wireless connections. I thought with myself being an IT professional that I would be able to make this work properly. But, sure enough, the wireless capability of this modem/router combo is horrible. Our home is only about 1600sq ft and using the 5GHz connection, the strength of the wireless signal starts to weaken after just stepping about 10 feet away. When the wireless connection was staying connected on either the 2.4GHz connection or the 5GHz connection, it was not reliable, constant drops and internet access loss. Using one of the two wired connections on this modem provided constant internet access without fail, as it should. It truly does appear that this modem/router combo is just extremely lacking when it comes to it's router configuration and hardware. Even if you only plan on buying this just for a wired connection, save yourself some money and buy just a modem, not the router/modem combo. If you decide you want wireless access later, you will still come out about the same price buying a modem and then router separately. Such a shame to see a company that can make a router such as the Nighthawk, which is amazing, can't manage to get a decent wireless signal for a modem/router combo unit. Very disappointing. Glad that Amazon offers such an easy return process for a refund. I will be submitting a request for this promptly.
1010 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2014
I moved into a new place in LA recently and needed a reliable wireless cable modem & router that was compatible with Time Warner, as I work from home from the computer doing remote software configuration and hold a lot of shared-screen net meetings every day. Although some will advise you to get a separate modem and router rather than a combined unit, I decided to try this combo modem/router ("gateway"), and in 2 months of use, it's been very fast, reliable, and perfect for my needs.

For those who aren't sure what is meant by "dual band," it means that when you go to connect to a wireless network, you'll see two signals there coming from this router that you can connect to (using the default password provided on a little sticker on the unit itself). The 2.4 GHz band connection is slower and likely more congested with most of your neighbors who are probably using this band, but it has a longer wireless range than the the 5 GHz band, which is likely much less congested due to the need for both a 5 GHz capable router as well as a 5 GHz capable wireless card in your computer or device, and much faster (double for me), but with shorter range.

Unless/until you change them using the Genie software (covered below), they'll probably show up in the list as something like NETGEAR for the 2.4 band, and NETGEAR 5G if your wireless card is 5 GHz capable. It's usually a good idea to change these to something more unique so that potential hackers don't know what router/gateway you are using. On with my personal results . . .

I don't like wires, so I only connect wirelessly, and I can only tell you what my wireless connection results have been living in a 1000 sq. ft., 2 bedroom condo in the heart of Los Angeles where right now I'm seeing 16 other 2.4 GHz wireless networks and one other 5 GHz.

Range - While the range is shorter on the 5 GHz signal, for me, it only goes down 1 bar if I move to another room, but this is going to vary by your own floor plan, walls between rooms, how congested your area is with others connecting on the same band and channel, etc.

Speed - I just ran a test while writing up this review and got 104.14 Mbps download and 11.10 upload speeds on the 5 GHz band. I normally get anywhere from 80 Mbps or so at the most congested times of day, to a high of almost 110 Mbps on the 5 GHz band, and anywhere from 40 to 50 Mbps downloads speeds on the 2.4 band, and consistently 10 Mbps or so upload speed on both bands. Again, keep in mind that the speed you may get will depend on what speed you pay your Internet provider for, whether your wireless card is capable of receiving the 5.0 signal to get the faster speed this modem is capable of, network congestion, etc.

Oddly, the card in my newer computer isn't 5 Ghz capable, so I don't' see that network connection in my list when logging on from that computer, while the wireless card in my older computer is 5 GHz capable. Also, my old iPhone 4s isn't, while my iPad 4 is. But for me, getting speeds of around 50 Mbps pretty consistently on the 2.4 band in a congested area with 4 devices connected (not including my wireless printer) is far more than I need to do anything I do with my computers.

Reliability - What was most important to me was reliability with no dropped connections while I'm working, and so far it's been rock solid. In over 2 months, I've had a total of one time where it disconnected at about midnight for about 10 minutes and then connected on its own again without my needing to do anything. I suspect the drop was the cable company and not the unit. I have not had to reset the unit even once.

One more thing I'm pleased about is that my Brother MFC-7860DW wireless All-In-One printer (in a different room than this Netgear Gateway) has no issues scanning wirelessly with this. I was a little concerned because I temporarily lived in another condo for 2 months while waiting to move into this one, that place had a Netgear Gateway, and I couldn't get it to scan wirelessly, something I never had a problem with when I was using my DSL wireless modem from AT&T. This is important for me because I sometimes have to sign and scan documents to send, and it seems like everyone has moved to emailing scanned documents instead of faxing.

I found the Netgear Genie software intuitive and easy to use/navigate. To log in, simply type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar in your browser, or "routerlogin.net" (works the same). There, you'll see a place to type in a username and password. The default username "admin," and the default password is "password" (unless/until you change it), and you're in!

From there, you can do all sorts of things including seeing what channels your neighbors are on so that you can pick a less congested channel. I let the software choose the least congested channel for me (choose "Auto" for this). You can also change the default connection password from the one on the sticker on your Netgear unit if you want, see the status of your cable connection (good, fair, etc.), a network map showing the number of devices connected to the router/gateway, what they are (if you see something unfamiliar, someone might be on your network), set parental controls, and even enable a "Guest" wireless network that visiting guests can use to connect, separate from your own so that you don't have to give them your connection password.

One last thing. From the other reviews I've read, you can't connect to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) with this unit. If you don't know what that is, you probably don't need to care. Until recently, my work required using a VPN for certain things. Fortunately, this is no longer the case. Otherwise, this device wouldn't work for my needs.

I hope this review helps others who have either already purchased it, or might be considering it. Again, I can only give you my experience with this device after using it for 2 months. Your results may vary.
4747 comments| 775 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2015
I own a small company, I save pennies where there's no harm to our operation. It's just good sense. Since refurbished means the device has been inspected and works as it should, I'm a believer in refurbished devices. Practical and typically save 15-50%. Win!

But refurbished does not mean inspected for this device - or they chose to send out a defective device. Neither case looks good for Netgear and this seller. Of the 2 wired ports one is completely defunct. Using speedtest.net to check it, it registers as .7mbps download and won't even register for upload speeds. The working wired port and wireless pull 110mbps down and 11mbps up - appropriate for my twc package.

If you need multiple wired connection for additional devices - printers, etc. Don't trust these factory refurbished devices.

Skip netgear or skip the refurb device.

Update Nov 4, 2015, two weeks after 30-day return period closed - literally.
The device officially died. Other uses complain about needing to frequently reset - this device failure is related to that. Wired and wireless ports all officially kicked. They hold signal for up to 60s and then drop signal completely (while measuring the coax for comparison purposes). This is not a matter of buffering to get over the hump, the device has narcolepsy. And now I am unable to return. $103 pissed out the window.

You win some; you lose some.

AVOID THIS DEVICE.
22 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2016
I bought the C3700|N600 from Amazon around April 2016 and left it in the box for about a month. Switched from AT&T UVerse to Cox and the Cox technician installed the C3700 and performed the initial configuration while I was at work one day. I changed the SSIDs, passphrases, and looked at the rest of the configuration interface a few weeks later, but left everything else as originally configured. I didn't really notice it at first, but it seems like everyone in my family were having connectivity problems from the beginning. I believe the PS3 physically connected to an 8-port 1GbE switch that is connected to the C3700 has worked flawlessly. All 2.4Ghz wireless connections (three iPhone 6 devices, a MacBook Pro (El Capitan), two Samsung DVD players, and one Amazon Fire Stick) had fairly good signal strength when connected, but would occassionally disconnect from the C3700 wireless. We would attempt to reconnect and type in the passphrase over and over again and always received an error stating "Incorrect password for <SSID>. The SSID was available and still had a strong signal. The only way to resolve this was to reboot the C3700. It seems that this happens at least once a week. I changed the 2.4Ghz channel last night in hopes that would resolve the problem, but it seems to continue today.

This may be unrelated, but our 2.4Ghz wireless speed was sub 2Mbps when I tested last night. Cox Preferred is a 50Mbps down connection.

Also probably unrelated, but our 5Ghz wilreless range is pretty much contained to the room that the c3700 is located in, so we don't use it very often.

The 90 day support has expired a long time ago. I have read many more people have had similar and/or worse problems with this device. I cannot recommend it to anyone at this time.
on March 21, 2017
I got this after I had problems with my ARRIS modem/router and returned it. No problems since then with NETGEAR, I was able to set it up myself which was hassle-free compared to the trouble I had to go through to setup and troubleshoot the ARRIS one.

Then, just a week ago, I changed my ISP and had some initial trouble trying to get connectivity, I called customer care and not only was I able to get through a technical service member but they were very supportive and immediately offered a replacement device (I was surprised). Only thing is it started working after I reconnected a couple of days later. They even called me to follow up and check if I still needed the replacement device. So great customer support. All in all, a great product and customer service (especially when you have to get through several minutes of waiting everywhere). That's precisely why I took the time to write the review.
on December 13, 2015
This modem/router was on the approved list of my cable company. I use it for cable internet and video streaming. It has only required one reset in almost a year of use but we have power glitches here and one may well have caused it to drop out. The wifi covers my entire home, patio and a good section of nearly a half acre lawn. I have a Samsung UHD 4K TV hooked to it by the LAN ports wired and it streams Netflix, Amazon and YouTube 4K flawlessly.

UPDATE: June 2016.
After fifteen months of use, the wifi section of the N300 has failed. The cable modem and LAN electronics are still functional. Perhaps a reset of some sort may restore the wifi but no detailed trouble shooting instructions were supplied with the unit. Calling Netgear I was obviously connected with someone half way around the world, with an internet phone connection that made her voice sound like a female Donald Duck, After repeating numbers questions and answers she told me it would cost $49.00 for trouble shooting assistance. I'm not sure why I would spend that much with no guarantee she could solve my problem or that it wouldn't happen once again. I will replace the unit but not with a Netgear piece.This is my first and last experience with Netgear.
on November 7, 2016
I previously gave this item 5 stars back when I initially purchased it, but now that I have had it for a year, I would like to update my rating to give it a 1.

Whatever you do, please don't by this modem/router. It is a piece of crap. I am constantly having to turn it on and off just to get it to function properly. This started probably about 9 months after I purchased it. Initially I thought the issue was internet provider, but everyone in my building has the same provider, so I started to ask around to see if others were experiencing the same thing. They were not because they didn't have the same modem/router, that is when I started to put 2 and 2 together to determine that the issue is this modem/router. Now after just one year of having this thing, I will have to buy a brand new one of higher quality. Definitely not a Netgear one though.
on September 30, 2016
Heck yes! A great priced modem/ router combo for when my modem finally gave in. Easy to set up and working great so far! The package contained instructions on how to get the serial number off your computer so just pull that up before you give your internet company a call (or while you are on hold) and you are good to go. Plus side: now that I have this, it cleaned up a lot of space rather than having the separate modem and router before. I see it didn't work for some reviewers but give it a shot ! You have 30 days to return it and I think it is well worth the savings.
on February 8, 2016
I would rate this higher except that I've had a lot of issues both with signal strength and speed. I called support and they were nice enough to help me with my channel configuration and other settings but to this day the TWC modem (which we dont use for WIFI - phone only) gets a much stronger signal and speeds. The free support runs out after 3 months so I've been tinkering with it and it works well, but I was expecting a very strong signal from 8 feet away and very fast speeds.

Update on 3-18 - I've spent way too much time just trying different channels etc... on this modem and the signal strength is consistently around 70% any where in the house where as my neighbors WIFI and the box from Time Warner is consistently 100%. I'm past the return so this is basically all I can do.
on July 8, 2015
This router+modem combo sucks and so does Netgear's support for this product. I bought this device in November 2014 and it worked great for first few months. Then, one fine day, it decided to play with us and stopped working. I thought, oh well, it probably needs a break and restarted it. Things started working again.

There is a saying about sharks tasting blood and getting hooked to it. I think my router is behaving the same and now wants to restart every day or few days. The symptoms of the problem are that the internet would stop working over wifi(wired internet works fine so this is not my ISP's issue). The clients can't connect to the wifi at all and if they are connected, they disconnect. (its like the router has an allergy with all my devices (I am talking about 3 phones and 2 laptops in the same room as the router)).

After getting frustrated with the reboots, I called netgear to ask for help. My plea for help was answered with a pitch for phone support plan. Given that I have lived with the router for 6 months now, I am well outside the phone support time. The only option is to pay $80 for support when I paid $120 for the device. I tell them that the router will start working if I reboot, they just say, reboot it and viola, the problem is fixed.

So I am basically stuck right now because I have to pay them $80 to tell me to reboot the router. Why oh why would you do that???