Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,188 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,490 reviews
on January 5, 2016
I picked up this modem as I had a 2-in-1 (modem & router) that got aged and started flaking out on me. And unfortunately, the model I had could only be managed by the cable company (updates and what have you). I decided to get new equipment and go back to the good old days where my modem and router were completely separate for multiple reasons, 1) if one goes I can replace it without having to replace the whole setup, and 2) if nothing else I can go back to being able to manage my router on my own.

I picked this up along with the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router. The combination of the pair are phenomenal. I now actually get the speeds I pay for, and my internal network is blazing.

With it's multiple downstream and upstream channels, we can have everyone on their individual devices doing things like gaming and streaming without even the slightest blip in content continuity.

The only thing I'd say to be aware of is that if you're buying your own router, double-check that it's supported by your cable Internet provider first.

All in all, this router does everything I wanted it to.
on July 22, 2015
If you are looking to ditch the monthly charge of renting a modem from your ISP, or simply to get higher performance, this Netgear modem is currently the best option out there. I'm a software engineer, gamer, and consume all my video content through the web...so I live through the internet.

Why this Netgear modem?
A few months ago I picked up an Arris SURFboard SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi N Router, after previously having success with Arris modems. I liked the idea of an all in one combo, and since the SBG6580 was dual-band I figured it should work great. It didn't. The short version of the story is I spent the next 6 weeks with terrible internet issues, which I thought was mostly Comcast's fault (after previous experiences)...disconnects, download speeds of around 1Mbps, upload speeds of .5Mbps (despite paying for 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up)...and then it would work perfectly for 3 minutes. Super frustrating. After extensive research it appears the SBG6580 wireless was the issue (extreme unreliability).

I moved and decided to start over again building my network. After a bunch of research I ditched the Arris and picked up this Netgear modem. It had great reviews, was a bit future-proofed (16 download channels!!), and came in at a reasonable price. Setup was amazingly easy. As a Comcast customer I didn't even need to call in to activate the modem (thank cosmos!); it was all done through a web interface. I paired this modem with a TP-LINK Archer C5 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless, and the performance is outstanding! I currently pay for 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up, and what I'm actually getting with this new setup is around 90Mbps down, and 10Mbps up...way over what I actually pay for! Additionally, in 3 weeks of use I haven't had to reset my modem once, have had 0 disconnects, and generally an amazing experience.

Want speed and reliability? Buy this modem! GLHF!
1212 comments| 738 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2017
I got this to replace the TWC-issued high-speed internet modem (which was always malfunctioning) and cut my cable costs. So far, I haven't had any issues with the NetGear modem and it was easy to set up (I didn't even have to use any software, which is a plus). The price was also very reasonable and will pay for itself in less than a year compared to the ridiculous equipment rental costs for the sub-par equipment provided by my cable company. Also, the modem is approved by TWC (now Spectrum, as the creepy, "big brother is watching"-like commercials keep reminding us TWC subscribers - I'm wondering what other sordid plans they have now to rip off customers). If you do get the unit to replace a rented modem, be sure to check your next statement to make sure they are not still charging you for it (I expected them not to remove the charge after I called them to activate the modem with their service and expressly stated to the rep that I should not be charged subsequently for the rental, and of course, was still charged for the rental the following month).

Just note that the modem does not include a telephony port (most don't); however, the cable companies I know of let you keep their modem strictly for the phone line (to date, my cable company issued telephony modem is not functioning - back to what I said about them being sub-par), but the cable companies will not charge for the modem when it is only issued for phone service (which doesn't really make sense if you're paying rent for the same unit when it is used for internet service). If you want to save yourself some money and headaches, I would recommend getting this modem.
on June 6, 2015
Upon reading several reviews regarding this product, I was fairly confident on this purchase. First off I am very computer literate, I went to school for IT and have been an avid computer guy since the 80's! and 2nd a huge Netgear fan boy! Well, not really, just that for ALL my networking needs I've only gone with Netgear! When I read the 1 star reviews, at first I was very weary of purchasing this product. However, the one thing I did see regard ALL the one star, is Netgear's customer service as actually replying to every single one star review to contact them! Awesome! Besides the fact that I'm pretty sure the one star reviewers didn't know what they were doing, sorry!
Well anyway, this cable modem with an EXCELLENT product for you cable modem only needs! I couldn't be happier with it's performance tagged teamed up with my NETGEAR Smart AC1750 wireless router! I couldn't be happier! For those who ARE interested in the AC1750 router, and have yet to purchase this Cable modem! PLEASE STOP. do not buy this modem! ONLY because, Netgear makes a AC 1750 cable modem router for a very reasonable price!
on May 22, 2016
Works Excellent, I have Media Ultra Plus Speed at the Moment. No problems with Service at all.

This is a simple Modem, NO extras on it. This works great if you let your router do most or all the work. I use this modem, it goes to my OOMA box, and then my Asus RT-Ac68U. No problems.

Lights on the ​unit not very bright so Compared to my OOMA and my Asus, it has very dim lights.
review image review image review image review image
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 2, 2015
It broke after 5 months. Just stopped working. I've been using Time Warner Cable and it worked fine for the time it worked. It was not super fast but was sufficient for my needs. Maybe it was slower than specifications because my ISP did not provide the necessary speeds but again, for me it was enough, hence two stars not one. I had to restart it few times during those five months because it would stop working but after the restart it would work fine.

Not this time. Yesterday it just stopped working whatever I did. I spent 40min with ISP and they said that they just could not connect to the modem as it does not accept connections. Then I spend another 60min with NetGear customer servicemuntil finally it was resolved that it just broke and needs to be replaced. Netgear replacement is "free" but I have to send the broken modem to them and cover shipping costs and only then after they receive it they will send me the new one. Thank you very much, free sounds more like 10 days of not being able to use services that cost me a lot every month.

There's no way on amazon to request the replacement from the seller after 30 days, maybe that way it would've been resolved faster. So now I am just annoyed and disappointed with this product and all the experience.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 21, 2016
Not a good product/buy for me. It was defective, the ethernet port did not work. It had a 1 star rating on comcast approved modem list. Now im purchasing an Arris model with a 3 star rating, stay tuned...
I bought this modem to prevent Timewarner (now spectrum) to charge for monthly modem rental. It worked fine for the most part but after a while I noticed that my internet is keep getting disconnected. Such that it would look as if it is on with the corresponding lights flashing when in fact it was not broadcasting. This cause my cellphone data usage to skyrocket every month as it would disconnected on its own and sometimes connect on itself and other times it wold work after disconnecting it form the electricity and reconnecting it (even then sometimes the problem still would continue until it would fix by itself or after a long time not using it). I'm a very tech savvy and during all this time changed so many settings such as channels but I was not able to fix the issue. All these time anytime I would call the internet provider they would tell me that there is no problem on their part and it shows that service is being provided. There were times that they could see that the modem is offline and there where times that the modem was online but still was not broadcasting. The firmware is not upgradeable so what ever was the issue whether software or hardware after a long time of fighting with this modem I am giving up on it. If you have to buy this modem do yourself a favor either find another compatible modem from the list of qualified modem on your internet provider website or if you do buy it return it as soon as you see unusual disconnecting while the return window is open.
on February 2, 2016
I was extremely skeptical this would work well or set up cleanly with Cox Communications. I had nothing but trouble getting my last cable modem working with them a few years back, and the router add-on to it barely ever worked at all without constant resets.

I plugged this cable modem in, went to their online activation website (make sure to select the CG3000D Netgear modem in the drop-down box, no CG3000Dv2 was there) , entered my account info and it said it was going to activate, which I laughed at.

2 minutes later, it was fully operational. unbelievable. First time ever no phone calls required to the evil empire.

This was installed in a condo with heavy 2.4GHz wireless traffic all around. It gave a full speed signal anywhere in the 2 level condo with zero problem. The router menu was very user-friendly and easy to navigate to set up the WiFi network as well. It goes without saying, but in a heavy wifi place, set the channel to AUTO so it can surf around and find the best frequency channel for you, or use an app to see which channel has the least interference to manually select. That will help a lot with wifi speed you get on your devices.

For once, a device that actually does what it says. Connection and setup took barely 2 minutes, WiFi network maybe another 2 minutes to set up. Bravo, Netgear!

My router menu pages came up as fast as any internet pages (fast), so I didn't have that problem. Maybe a newer firmware release?

Only unknown is durability since it's only a week old. But usually when dealing with Cox it takes me a week to get operational, so this is like found money.
on January 16, 2017
I got this modem/router back in June 2014 since I wanted to save on the rental monthly fee wit TWC. At first it worked reasonably well, althought I was not too happy about the options for the parental control.

Last year the router received a firmware update (Version V3.01.06) and since then it went downhill. The WiFi connection became unreliable and keeps dropping multiple a day, which is really annoying when you try to watch a Netflix movie via Chromecast. The parental control offers even less options and also does not work reliably. And sometimes it is not accessible via web browser and needs to be unplugged / plugged in again.

I used to be satisfied with Netgear routers 8-10 years back. But I am disappointed about this and will look for a different brand.