Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 58 reviews
on January 19, 2009
Though I've made nut milks by hand for years, I've never had a soy milk maker before so I have no comparison with using other home milk makers. I have however been drinking commercial soy milk since before the major companies figured out the 180 degree process and got rid of the bitter flavor - so I know what soy milk tastes like when that's done wrong! Urk!

I can say for sure that the 930P does what it should - keeps the soy beans at 180 degrees F for the whole grinding and cooking process. It's easy to set up, a snap to clean (truly takes 2 minutes) and is totally simple to use. It makes soy, rice, nut and mungbean milks perfectly. The soy milk tastes clean and fresh - and like soy beans :D

So many people seem to get a soy milk maker and want the soy milk to taste like what you drink in the store. For that, you have to add what they add to commercial milk: sugar, salt, vanilla, calcium, vitamins A and D, carrageen/guar gum and various other possibilities. I like the straight soy milk, but my kids want something more familiar and I wanted soymilk that I could use as creamer in my tea, so I've been working with various recipes to get as close to their familiar Soy Dream as possible.

My closest attempt so far:
*1/2 cup soy beans, soaked over night and de-skinned (crush and rub the soybeans, the skins will collect in the water above the beans to remove)
*1/3 cup of millet (this does 2 things - gives that thicker creamier feel and a light sweet taste)

Put these in the Soy Quick and make milk according to the Soymilk setting. When done, strain through the strainer and then strain again through a permanent coffee filter (I really do recommend this second straining - the wire mesh included strainer is great, but anyone used to commercial soymilk expects absolutely no particulate. It's an extra 5 bucks and well worth it.). Now add:

*1/4 cup of brown sugar (we like brown, it may be way too strong for others though)
*1/2 tsp of salt
*1/2 tsp vanilla
*(calcium carbonate if you want it - provides calcium, but also gives that heavy creamy after-taste you are familiar with from commercial soy milk)

Stir and let cool. Refrigerate in an air-tight container.

I want to try barley malt as sweetener - I think it would give an even better flavor than brown sugar for the kids :)

I have also made mung bean milk (a nice addition to other milks at about a 1:3 ratio - it has good medicinal qualities), hazelnut milk and almond milk. They all turn out great! I particularly like hazelnut milk and think it makes great smoothies. I would love to try ice cream made from hazelnut milk!

A word to the wise - almond milk is probably the easiest transition for anyone who is used to commercial milks. You don't have to add much of anything to get it tasting like something familiar :)
1111 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2010
I chose/bought this SoyQuick Premier Milk Maker 930P because of the extra-ordinary reviews it had received.
I've used this machine for about 2 months so far and my overall experience with the product has been OK/Fine (that is, not extra-ordinary). The product does exactly what it says and does a pretty decent job at it. Here are some of the issues/reasons why I rated this product a 2-star:

1) Maximum milk quantity that can be made at one time is less than 0.5 gallons (0.4 gallons to be precise). Which equates to triple the work for making soymilk for the quantity we need. We are a family of four (2 kids & 2 adults) and we go through about 1.5-2 gallons a milk every week. It takes 3 times of making milk to have about a gallon. Which means I have to make milk about 6-times per week. So, unable to make adequate quantity of milk with one preparation is the biggest gripe I have with this product. Additionally, I don't recall seeing anywhere (in product description or manual) where it states the amount of milk that can be made in one time.

2) The second issue is the plastic container that you're suppose to use to filter the milk into when it's piping hot. I wish the platic container/jub was of better quality.

3) Third gripe is with the filter which get's filled w/ the okara (left-over of soybeans after milk has been made) while you're filtering the milk in the jug. You you have to wait or discard the okara in the middle while you're trying to filter the milk in the jug. The filter should be bigger in size to avoid the inconvenience of dumping the okara out in the middle of filtering process.

I'm debating whether or not I should return this product in the hopes of finding something better.

-----------Updated Jan 22, 2010---------------
I've changed my rating of this product from 2-star to 3-star to be fair. The machine functions as advertised. My complaint on the product is more on the feature (eg: being able to make more soymilk at a time) side than the core product functionality.
----------------------------------------------

-----------Updated Feb 2, 2010---------------
After reading several articles that claim the cost of producing soymilk at-home is a few pennies/gallon (typically less than $0.10/gal), I decided to do the measurements myself. Turns out that making soymilk at-home is nowhere close to the claims. Also, note that this cost does not include any multi-vitamin fortification or any other additives that one might want to add for flavoring. So, here's a breakdown of how and what I came up with:

True/Actual Cost of Soymilk made at home:
- Organic Soybeans: $1.79/lb
- 1LB Soybeans = 6 cups (cup included w/ the product) of dry beans
- Soymilk maker Container capacity: 52 fl. oz. (or ~1625ML) equating to about 0.41 gallons
- 1 cup of dry soybeans yields 0.41 gallon of soymilk
Thus, 1 pound of soybeans yields 6 x 0.41 = 2.46 gallons of soymilk
So, true cost of soymilk is $0.73/gallon

In summary, it will cost $0.73 to make 1 gallon of plain no-additive organic soymilk. This is a significant cost savings as compared to the options at a typical grocery store (about 8 times cheaper, assuming typical cost of $6/gallon). Now, if you add the cost of fortifying vitamins and flavoring then you're looking at closer to $1.50/gallon).
----------------------------------------------
on March 30, 2010
I first heard about soy milk/rice milk makers, several months ago, and started doing research on them. I read the good reviews of the SoyQuick Milk Maker 930P and decided to go with it. The first time I made rice milk with it I followed the recipe in the book and did not soak the rice I had, which was long cooking rice, and the milk did not come out very good. I noticed it had a wild rice recipe that called for soaking the rice, which I did for the second time I made some, and it worked a lot better. I think the recipe for regular rice milk works if you have minute rice, or any rice that can cook in under 20 minutes, if you have long cook rice, which is recommended to cook for 45 minutes, soak the rice for at least 10 hours, or even cook it for 25 and then put it in the maker. You will have a lot less waste and better consistancy of milk. I have not tried any of the nut milk recipes yet, but look forward to doing this as well.

The SoyQuick Premier Milk Maker 930P is very easy to use, you simply follow the instructions in the book and within 20 minutes you have your milk. Cleaning the maker is very easy and takes a few minutes after you are done making your milk. The only thing I would say is a downside to the maker is that it doesn't make a lot of milk with each batch. I tend to drink quite a bit of rice milk, and have to make more every 2 days, so if you have a household with more than 2 people in it, then you might want to make 2 or 3 batches at a time to have enough. Otherwise I recommend this product for everyone, it will also save you a lot of money at the grocery store.
on October 31, 2010
It would be an exaggeration to say that this machine changed my life. It would not, however, be an exaggeration to say that this machine has greatly improved the quality of my life. About a year ago I finally decided to lose weight, and on my doctor's recommendation I started replacing my breakfast meal with a Metagenics health shake. He told me to forget about cow milk and use soy, rice or nut milk. The good news is that I lost 30 pounds. The bad news is that I was spending a fortune on store-bought soy, rice, and almond milk. I had heard that many milk machines were difficult to clean, that they boiled over, and were just a pain in general to use. I do research for a living, so I used my professional skills when choosing this product. And I have not been disappointed.
Simple to use, easy to clean, and very handsome in the kitchen, this machine is a joy. Every household should have one, quite honestly! In about 15 minutes you will have amazing tasting soy milk, grain milk or nut milk. The sky is your limit. My favorite is coffee flavored soy milk. Two little scoops of soy beans and about 1/3 cup of coffee beans will yield two liters of a beverage that will blow you away. And it costs just pennies to make. Another heavenly beverage that I regularly make is brown jasmine rice milk. Very delicious. And the tofu! I have always enjoyed cooking stir fried tofu with vegetables, Korean tofu stew etc., but the taste of homemade tofu is, well, simply outstanding. There is a certain metallic taste to store-bought tofu. The tofu that this machine produces is rich, pure, nutty, and downright delicious. Also, I enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning. Oddly, Silk brand soy milk separates into weird curds when I pour it in my coffee. Homemade soy milk does not.
Okay, on the downside? Yes, making almond milk is a bit of a pain. You need to blanch the almonds and soak them for twenty-four hours. Also, because the machine is not huge it only makes a small block of tofu, about half the size of a store-bought block. But these are really minor complaints. Once you taste homemade soy milk, almond milk, homemade tofu, you will wonder why you ever bought them at the market. And if you buy two tofu molds from the company (or use your own) that solves the tofu problem.
I have contacted the company twice with questions. Both times that got back to me within one or two hours. Their customer service is, in my experience, unparalleled. Everyone that I have dealt with there is utterly charming and completely knowlegdeable about the machine. They actually WANT you to contact them and discuss the machine, recipes, etc.
Compared to other machines, this one costs just a little bit more. Don't let this prevent you from buying it. You are paying for quality.
DISCLAIMER: No, I do not work for this company. One commenter questioned whether all the positive reviews were plants from Soyquick employees. I can understand this type of consumer doubt. I have been so disappointed with many items that I have bought online. But not this one. And since there is a 90 day return policy,
no one should hesitate to buy it. I really, really love it.
on November 15, 2009
My husband and I had been talking about buying a soymilk maker for more than a year, but we didn't until now because of the perceived difficulty with the process of making soymilk. Then, when I couldn't get a straight answer from Silk about where their soybeans were grown, we decided to bite the bullet and get a machine. After reading a lot of information online and at this site, we decided on the SoyQuick 930P. This is the best money we've spent on technology since we signed up for Sirius radio almost five years ago. We're absolutely in love with the machine and the product, and IT COULDN'T BE EASIER!! We've had it about two weeks, and have made several batches of soymilk and two batches of tofu. We use US-grown organic soybeans and have complete control over the product. My favorite sofar is the coffee-flavored soymilk. That, good and cold, is the most divine soymilk I've ever tasted. Instead of straight sugar, I used a small amount of cane sugar and agave syrup, along with vanilla. Just the best stuff imaginable.
We've also made tofu salad out of the tofu, and we've been going through the cookbook from Kitchen's Best to figure out what to make next. We're very much old kids with a new toy, one that will add a great deal to our quality of life as well as lower our food bills.
on June 22, 2010
Bought this soymilk maker in February and started making milk the next day with the sample beans included. The milk was fantastic- I used Bryanna Clark Grogan's recipe- Vegan Feast blog- with 2 cups(the cup included with the machine) beans, 3 Tbs oats, and added 2 T raw sugar and half tsp (I used lite) salt after the milk was made. Only took 15 min to make, and cleanup was truly a snap. I now make 7 quarts a week, and have also tried mung, oats, soy with sesame, and the latest- HEMP milk- also from Clark's blog- all great. Not one problem with the machine. I now understand how they can offer such a warranty. Wouldn't dream of returning it!!! Buy one for yourself and you won't regret it.
on March 10, 2011
After owning (and loving) and regularly using this SoyQuick 930p for nearly 2 1/2 years, it mysteriously stopped working yesterday. I'd plug it in, and after a minute it would emit a long error beep. I thought our family's regular wear-and-tear finally wore it down and hoped it could be fixed somehow. So, I called the manufacturer today and after a few simple questions, they told me they're sending out an entire new one! Just like that! It's not often in this world these days one encounters such superb customer service. Kitchen's Best Manufacturing Group Ltd builds a fine product, and they stand behind it. If only more purchases were supported like this...
on April 11, 2010
We've had our SoyQuick for a couple of months now, and we use it at least three times a week to make delicious soy and nut milks. This machine is extremely simple to use, and makes milk unbelievable quickly. It is also extremely easy to clean.

I've used a few different recipes, and it did take me a few batches and some tweaking to find a recipe that my family liked as much as store-bought milks, but now I've got it down pat. We've also found several amazing recipes for the okara (in particular, bean burgers and "crab" cakes).

I can't believe how much money this thing saves, and truly you can get the milk to taste like your favorite store-bought brand if you play with the recipes a bit.
on January 30, 2010
I use my 930P all of the time it is wonderful. I can make soymilk in 20 mins. It is saving me a ton of money and time. All you do is soak the beans, remove the skins add water and 3 tbs of rice and 20 minutes later you have delicious soymilk. I strain mine twice before I refrigerate and then add a little sweetener (vegan refined sugar) just to my liking. I strain it one more time after it is cold but that is personal perference. It is nice to not have to run to the store when I run out of soymilk especially when I am in the middle of a recipe, I can just whip some up and I am good to go. It also makes wonderful nut, rice and grain milks. This product is worth every penny.
on April 27, 2010
As I always prefer fresh, sugar-free soy milk, I have been making soy milk myself for years. Bought the Soymilk maker a year ago and have been using the machine frequently. It's very easy to operate and clean. The flavor of the soymilk is flawless too.

Additionally, I'm impressed with the customer service. Recently shoot them an email regarding replacing the cord, and they replied to my question with very detailed information.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the purchase.