+ $3.99 shipping
& FREE Shipping on orders over $49. Details
About the Product
- Pick-Up-And-Play Controls - easy-to-learn controls that still provide depth for the season veteran. A player's first game will be as enjoyable as their one-thousandth, while the intuitive hybrid controls will provide depth for the experienced vet
- Enhanced Gameplay - An arsenal of highlight reel-worthy superstar moves, blocked shots, stick-handling moves, hit-by-puck collisions, and a greatly-enhanced skating engine make up for an exciting hockey experience complete with more than 1,400 new gameplay animations
- Presentation System - Pre-game intros, menus, new crowd animations, game summary replays, and brand new commentary featuring Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda of the San Jose Sharks
- True Hockey Fun - the addictive Zamboni mini-game, user-controlled Stanley Cup celebrations, playoff beards, enhanced checking and a brand-new fighting engine
- Team-Up With Up To 12 Consoles Online - Form a team of up to 6 separate consoles to challenge other teams made of up to 6 consoles for the first-ever NHL 12-console play
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Graphics: Superb. 2K8 looked great but improvements for 2K9 are visable. In particular the screen views are more intuitive -for example if you are playing by the boards you will get a closer view of the action. Most of the animations are very simliar to 2K8. In-game highlight reels are a nice addition as well.
Controls: Some complaints were made about the complexity of the controls in 2K8 and there have been some changes to make the game more accessible to newer players which uses less of top controls and more of the face controls. For those who got used to the controls in the prior year, they do make them still available in the options. On the fly coaching is still part of the game.
Gameplay: The game modes are the same as last year in terms of the non-live play including standard quick games, franchise and season modes. Live play has some additional features including: managing your team from a web-site, doing a live draft and trades. As with most sports games live roster updates are available. The play is very similiar to prior year although it feels more smoother.
All in all a great game that should be fun for newcomers and veterans and in my opinion is a better series than the EA sports hockey games.
The biggest problem with the game that I have found so far is the control of the players switching from one person to another without any apparant reason. I'm sure I will get used to it the more I play the game, but it can be a little frustrating at times.
So what did I like about this game?
First off, the soundtrack RULES! Hands town, this is some of the best punk and metal ever complied PERIOD; let alone for a hockey soundtrack. The short version: Epitaph Records and Relapse Records dominated this soundtrack and provided some awesome tunes. The long version: Underground acts like Operation Ivy, Genghis Tron, and High On Fire make appearances while The Ramones, The Offspring, Joe Satriani, and Mastodon are some of the mainstream (or at least major label) acts making appearances in the game. 2K Sports hockey games have consistently had better soundtracks than it's EA counterparts. This years 2K Sports game has the best soundtrack over any of the other hockey games 2K Sports that were put out; and considering that I've been a consistent fan of their soundtracks, that says a lot!
Also, the gameplay is decent because while it's involved, it's still easy to get the hang of. You don't lose sacrifice much function if you decide to change the controls around to your liking. You only need to look at the instructions once (maybe a few times at worst) to get it figured out.
Finally, the AI for the gameplay was right on for a hockey game.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Bought this game for my son and he loves it! Much better than 2k 08! Reason I give four stars is because late buyers don't get free NHL network access.Published 19 months ago by NimeshDK
THIS is what a hockey game is suppose to be. Everything about this is fun and I can just play and not have to think about lines vs lines or wheat line it fatigue etc. Read morePublished on May 27, 2011 by I'm The Metal Lord
This game was right in the net. Great fun. Recommend it, especially to those interested in hockey.Published on August 24, 2009 by Big Jude
Its doesnt have half teh bugs and glitches or lag EA's NHL does. Menus are kinda confusing but fine once you figure it out. Game play is alot of fun. Fighting could be better.Published on June 5, 2009 by C. Morse
I bought this game for my 11 y.o. son. He is enjoying it a lot. He has other hockey games but this game is different and so he is finding it more interesting. Read morePublished on January 7, 2009 by S. Smith